• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

uvelocity

International Coach
Set in for today, yes, but I doubt it'll be here tomorrow. Unless you are the 2010/11 summer, or are a cyclone, you don't get inclement weather lasting overnight in Brisbane.
rainy tom 1 week avatar bet. loss of half the day at least. I don't reckon we will even see play tomorrow, but I'll go safety :)

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Daniel Vettori top scorer for New Zealand again (so far). Discuss the implications of this in light of the fact 6 other batsmen come to the crease before him and that even If Kane Williamson can or cannot cover drive he could probably still score loads of test runs with other shots in his repetoire. (40 marks)

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
After all the talk of our top order, we're seeing the standard NZ patented 100 odd for 5 with Dan saving the day. And everything COULD be a whole lot worse. Some things never change... :dry:

Spark

Global Moderator
5/170ish - would take that, but if only Clarke took that catch (unsurprised though, can list a fair few catches exactly like that - rising to chest height, slightly to his right - that he's dropped. Has a genuine issue with those)

That spell Lyon bowled pre lunch was great to watch.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Nathan Lyon was my pick of the bowlers for day one. How often do you say that about an Australian spinner on day one at the Gabba?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FWIW the rain has almost stopped now and the light is getting better. In fact the light is probably better now than it has been for most of the day. The clouds coming over now are thin and high.

BeeGee

International Captain
After all the talk of our top order, we're seeing the standard NZ patented 100 odd for 5 with Dan saving the day. And everything COULD be a whole lot worse. Some things never change... :dry:
My benchmark for the NZ top order is 123 for 5. (It's an easy number to remember for obvious reasons).
They hit it again today. It's uncanny how many times the NZ top order hit that unusual score.
It's also depressing how many times the NZ top order hit that unusual score.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
My benchmark for the NZ top order is 123 for 5. (It's an easy number to remember for obvious reasons).
They hit it again today. It's uncanny how many times the NZ top order hit that unusual score.
It's also depressing how many times the NZ top order hit that unusual score.
Heh, will try to remember that. This is the best tail-end batting lineup we've had for ages - takes me back to five-ten years ago when numbers 7, 8 & 9 were our chief run-scorers and the top 5 were just there to take the shine off the new ball.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well I went to bed when Taylor was out and was expecting NZ to have been bowled out for about 150. Some of the shot selection was pathetic, the new boys bowled well without being brilliant but all the bowlers can be happy with their days work. NZ need Vettori to go on to make 70-80 minimum to try and get them over 250 and close to 300 which might be competitive. Australia slightly the happier side I would think but NZ have got out of jail a bit from being 5 down right after lunch.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Forecast for Friday
A few showers early, clearing to a fine day. Moderate to fresh and gusty S to SE winds
Saturday Fine. Min 17 Max 27
Sunday Mostly fine, possible shower. Min 18 Max 27
Monday A few showers. Min 19 Max 26
Looks like we should get enough play to get a result. Annoyingly Australia will probably be batting when the weather is 'fine' on Saturday.

Flem274*

123/5
McCullum has come out in the media saying he's annoyed at his shot selection but still reckons we're set to post something good and we can skittle the buggers.

Australia v New Zealand, 1st Test: Brendon McCullum rues poor shot selection | Cricket News | Australia v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

New Zealand's batsmen are rightly cursing their shot selection after giving up the first five wickets of the innings with a flurry of poor choices. However, batsman Brendon McCullum believes the visitors are on course to reach a total that will stretch Australia's youthful top order.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
and for the rest of the days i think
Cheers.

Thought we got lucky today really. Thought Lyon was the best bowler tbh. Obviously a few nerves for the debutants, I think they'll get better.

Would like to see an all round improvement in the over rate. That was awful.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sounds like a really poor batting display from NZ, not to mention needlessly so, and a costly one at that because if they were going to find a way to win it'd be through their batting. Very disappointing after all the build up.