• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Flem274*

123/5
Four bowlers and eight batsmen (I'm in the "Vettori is a better bat than bowler" camp) is disappointing imo. Needless to say though, this is in the bag. Carn NZ, **** these ****s up.

Woodster

International Captain
Four bowlers and eight batsmen (I'm in the "Vettori is a better bat than bowler" camp) is disappointing imo. Needless to say though, this is in the bag. Carn NZ, **** these ****s up.
Looks solid enough to me, very much in the camp of getting some good depth to the batting in Australia and look to build pressure that way. Don't think NZ have any bowlers banging down the door to warrant the gamble of a five-man attack, and it would be a gamble. Anyway, without going down that road again, weather looks a bit suspect for the opening day doesn't it ?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's not raining in Brisbane at the moment but it's cloudy and humid; thunderstorm weather they reckon. Courtesy of my spies.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Looks solid enough to me, very much in the camp of getting some good depth to the batting in Australia and look to build pressure that way. Don't think NZ have any bowlers banging down the door to warrant the gamble of a five-man attack, and it would be a gamble. Anyway, without going down that road again, weather looks a bit suspect for the opening day doesn't it ?
Err if your bowling is a bit weak you would be more inclined to pick 5 bowlers. Vettori is NZ's version of Watson or Kallis. He's a good 5th bowler. He's not really a 4th bowler and NZ actually do have a few fast medium bowler prospects for the first time in a while, far more promising than their cricketer of the year and probably more effective in the short-term too. If you have 4 good, very consistent bowlers then you can get away with 4 bowlers, but you'd still always prefer 5. If Ryder was less of a lard-arse and didn't get injured every 5 minutes he could definitely get through a few overs, but there's going to be a big question mark over the 5th+ bowling option on both sides. And lets face it a lot of the regular bowling options have a question mark over them, all of them are a bit crap/random or unknown.

If the pitch isn't overly bowler friendly and the batsmen don't give it away we should see some really damaging partnerships, on both sides. Stuff like 150 in 35 overs.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's not raining in Brisbane at the moment but it's cloudy and humid; thunderstorm weather they reckon. Courtesy of my spies.
Your spies are the BOM website? :p

A few showers developing, thundery rain this afternoon. Mostly light N to NE winds early, with a fresh to strong S to SE wind change developing.
Hopeful play will start on time and we'll get a few hours in, even if it rains later.

Woodster

International Captain
Err if your bowling is a bit weak you would be more inclined to pick 5 bowlers. Vettori is NZ's version of Watson or Kallis. He's a good 5th bowler. He's not really a 4th bowler and NZ actually do have a few fast medium bowler prospects for the first time in a while, far more promising than their cricketer of the year and probably more effective in the short-term too. If you have 4 good, very consistent bowlers then you can get away with 4 bowlers, but you'd still always prefer 5. If Ryder was less of a lard-arse and didn't get injured every 5 minutes he could definitely get through a few overs, but there's going to be a big question mark over the 5th+ bowling option on both sides. And lets face it a lot of the regular bowling options have a question mark over them, all of them are a bit crap/random or unknown.

If the pitch isn't overly bowler friendly and the batsmen don't give it away we should see some really damaging partnerships, on both sides. Stuff like 150 in 35 overs.
Err not if it is at the extent of weakening your batting line-up that could leave you pretty open to folding like a pack of cards. Look we have different views on this, my view is that NZ are right to stiffen the batting line-up even if it means they will only have four genuine bowling options. The batting for me is important to enable them to set the game up and try and get pressure on Australia that way.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Also Nathan Lyon gets nod for Gabba Test | Herald Sun sounds like four quicks definitely isn't happening
Liked this;

Whereas it was green and grassy on Tuesday, it was more pale on Test eve, prompting Clarke to indicate former Adelaide Oval groundsman Lyon would play the first home game of his five-Test career.
Reckon Lyon pulled the expert card when convincing Clarke the pitch is going to turn enough for him to get picked?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The weather is beautiful today in Brisbane. There is cloud cover but it's quite high. It's not too hot, there's little breeze. It should be an almost full day of cricket ahead. We may get late storms though.

Meridio

International Regular
Getting a bit nervous about all the NZ positivity coming from the media, fans and players. Normally when that happens we put in a dreadful performance and all the hand wringing starts again.

NZ have no chance, we will be thrashed by this vastly superior Australian outfit. Our batting lineup is bereft of talent, and our bowlers are honest triers that fight hard and don't give anything away. We'll work hard, do the basics well and show good team spirit, but will be overwhelmed by the more talented Australians.

There, that feels better. :dry:

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
I cannot wait for the start of the Australian Test summer. Headphones on at work ready to listen to what looks like a full days play.

My predicted bowling line-up to be Siddle, Pattinson, Cutting and Lyon.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Pattinson, Starc to play, Cutting to be 12th man - seems confirmed:

Jesse Hogan said:
Baggy green presentation time: Michael Slater to Warner, Andy Bichel to Pattinson, Richie Benaud to Starc. No @Cuttsy31 today. #ausvnz

Blakey

State Vice-Captain
Getting a bit nervous about all the NZ positivity coming from the media, fans and players. Normally when that happens we put in a dreadful performance and all the hand wringing starts again.

NZ have no chance, we will be thrashed by this vastly superior Australian outfit. Our batting lineup is bereft of talent, and our bowlers are honest triers that fight hard and don't give anything away. We'll work hard, do the basics well and show good team spirit, but will be overwhelmed by the more talented Australians.

There, that feels better. :dry:
If an anti-jinx is quoted does it improve the anti-jinxness?