• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Spark

Global Moderator
Benchy won't admit it, but that was a pretty good reply.

But then it is incredibly hard to make a come back from this. Poor NZ. They really need to win a test this series. They just have to.
Haha yeah if they don't do it this time round, then...

Flem274*

123/5
But then it is incredibly hard to make a come back from this. Poor NZ. They really need to win a test this series. They just have to.
So many lost opportunities along the way as well. Too many batting collapses and letting tailenders score runs.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Where have I said anything about wanting some of those guys picked? And where did I mention anything about suggesting anything to the new selectors? This is what I feel they are basing their selections on given who they have picked so far. And let's face it the new selectors whether they intend to or not will more than likely be consistent with the old selection panel regarding those guys mentioned. They have seen what these guys have to offer and none of them have shown much to suggest they will be on the scene long term. There will always be the question marks on them even if they somehow manage to get picked, just like Copeland.

One guy in the list I mentioned is performing in Butterworth yet he's managed to be overtaken by Starc and a guy that has 9 FC matches under his belt. Which brings me to your next point. Starc and Pattinson are potential based players. You say the new selectors have made this classic move of taking risks. Ummm the old selectors have been doing the exact same thing for the past 2 seasons and been widely criticized for it. Now it's been praised as an aggressive strategy and a way to improve? Pattinson, Starc and Cutting are all players embarked as potential stars by the previous selectors which has been carried on by the new ones. So once again whether they intended to or not, they have carried over something from the much criticized previous selectors.

And your last paragraph just supports what I mentioned. The selectors are looking at potential and pace rather than the medium fast bowlers who have dominated shield comp. That is as good as blacklisting them in my book.
Your book and my book are different then. I agree that they are going for quick bowlers, but the other guys aren't blacklisted, they aren't picked cause they aren't good enough* or injured in Butterworth's case..

*Apart from Copeland.

BeeGee

International Captain
So many lost opportunities along the way as well. Too many batting collapses and letting tailenders score runs.
Indeed.
A classic example was the Gabba Test Nov 2004. My brother and I flew over for the game.
Day 1 and 2 things were looking pretty good for NZ. We enjoyed watching Oram smash 126 and get us through to the respectable total of 353.
Then early success with the ball saw Aus in a bit of trouble at 4/128.
Then it all went wrong... a huge partnership between Pup and Gilly... but that wasn't the worst part... the real turd in the punch bowl was Glenn "can't hold a bat" McGrath scroring 61 against us in a century stand with Gillespie. Aus 585. :@

So I console myself with the thought that the pitch must now be the ultimate batsman's paradise. NZ still has the opportunity to bat out a draw...
All out for 76 :mad2::wallbash::mad:

Ruckus

International Captain
Your book and my book are different then. I agree that they are going for quick bowlers, but the other guys aren't blacklisted, they aren't picked cause they aren't good enough* or injured in Butterworth's case..

*Apart from Copeland.
Let's be honest, Butterworth wouldn't have been picked even if he wasn't injured...

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
what are the odds on Chris Martin hitting a six? Starc let Peter George hit a six against him so if he plays.....

Spikey

can't wait for Peter Siddle to bowl an over at Chris Martin - five bouncers and something way out off.

Sylvester

State Captain

*Apart from Copeland.
And the reason they aren't good enough is because they lack pace aka blacklisted for lack of pace. As for Butterworth he wasn't injured when the Aus A side was named so clearly he wasn't in the frame.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
And the reason they aren't good enough is because they lack pace aka blacklisted for lack of pace. As for Butterworth he wasn't injured when the Aus A side was named so clearly he wasn't in the frame.
They aren't blacklisted. George and McKay are quick enough if they are good enough, but they aren't good enough at the moment surely you must agree that they aren't good enough at the moment?

I can't wait for the match to start, slightly concerned about NZ's batting lineup, it impresses me.

Sylvester

State Captain
They aren't blacklisted. George and McKay are quick enough if they are good enough, but they aren't good enough at the moment surely you must agree that they aren't good enough at the moment?

I can't wait for the match to start, slightly concerned about NZ's batting lineup, it impresses me.
In their test debuts both were in the low 130s. That is not quick enough unless you are a great like Glenn McGrath or Shaun Pollock.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
if it would take a NZ batting collapse or 2 to stop all the hand-wringing about the Australian bowling attack on this forum it would almost be worth it :ph34r:

Burgey

What a clash tomorrow. The plucky Kiwis who always give their all and punch above their weight, against Peter Siddle who is a real trier, never gives up and runs in hard all day.

It's cliche heaven.