• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not to forget most Indian wickets fell to pretty ordinary shots than any real great bowling. I don't think they bowled that well at all, tbh.
I agree, but I blame the field settings and tactics more than the bowlers.

Went defensive at the wrong times. Should have attacked the hell out of Kohli and Dhoni when they came in.
I agree that the WI played ****house cricket on day 5 but it's one of those occasional quirks in Test cricket that the West Indies' batting collapse actually gave them a better shot of winning than batting well and declaring on 200 or 250 would have done.
Yeah I guess that's what I'm saying. They were in a winning position (although I honestly think they were never really in a position to win until the last session when India kept going for it even after Dhoni fell, but that's just me) thanks to their good cricket early, but then some awful cricket late.

I just think some caution needs to be given to the WI praise. That's all :)

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Not to forget most Indian wickets fell to pretty ordinary shots than any real great bowling. I don't think they bowled that well at all, tbh.
Yeah, but who was bowling? Samuels, a part timer, and an injured Bishoo.

Kind of weird how everyone is ignoring this tbh.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, but your spinners are far more important in that situation. You can't bowl your two pacemen into the ground there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Sorry I was misunderstanding you. Thought you were saying Sammy and Bishoo were their only bowlers.

That's a good point actually, I didn't think of it, and probably haven't given it much weight.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I felt a bit sad that windies were high fiving each other after a 2-0 series loss.
esp. after scoring 590 in the first dig. And lets not forget, if we had 1 more over, it was more likely that India would have won it than the Windies. Somehow, reading this thread, you almost end up thinking as if Windies were more likely to win and it was some kind of moral victory for them that this was a draw. I am sorry but any team that celebrates a draw like they did after scoring 590 in the first dig have not played well at all.

They played well in patches but you need a lot more than that against the top 6 sides.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
Pravin Kumar will miss first 3 ODI's due to injury, Mithun has been recalled as a replacement.

Last edited:

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
They took quite a while to score that 590 also, with over 2 full days of batting on a track like that you'd expect 650 or so if you batted for 180 overs.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
Its ESPN what did you expect?

That said it can't be much worse than the commentary, I keep expecting a cover drive for 6 over backward point to appear.

nsniks

State Vice-Captain
It seems some things never change

Blunt chest or blunder over elbow injury? - Hindustan Times

When the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) secretary Sanjay Jagdale called the chairman of the national selection panel, K Srikkanth, on Sunday and told him to keep a replacement ready for swinging sensation, Praveen Kumar, the former India opener was taken aback. After consulting his fellow selectors, Srikkanth recommended Karnataka paceman Abhimanyu Mithun to take Praveen's spot, if required. However, neither Srikkanth nor his colleagues were aware what was wrong with the Uttar Pradesh bowler.

In fact, even the team management wasn't sure why Praveen was the lone man missing from training at the Barabati Stadium on Monday, ahead of the opening ODI against the West Indies.

“He has some niggle... He will come tomorrow or the day after. He is not available for the first ODI,” said stand-in captain Virender Sehwag.

While HT has learnt that the “niggle” that Sehwag was referring to was in fact an elbow problem that has dogged Praveen since his last international game — against England in the lone Twenty20 International in Kolkata on October 29 — the BCCI had a different take on this.

“Praveen Kumar has got a blunt chest on the left side, and has therefore been ruled out of the first three ODIs against the West Indies. Abhimanyu Mithun will replace him in the squad for the first three games,” a statement issued by Jagdale on Monday evening said. (Blunt chest is a trauma injury caused by a sudden impact).

However, there is no way one can take the BCCI’s version at face value. After all, after doing his elbow in during the England Twenty20, Praveen, who had been ruled out of the World Cup due to tennis elbow, was advised two weeks’ rest.

But since Uttar Pradesh were to play Saurashtra in a Ranji Trophy tie in Meerut, Praveen’s hometown, he made himself available for the match. But after bowling 27 overs in the first innings, he did not feel well. As a result, of the 41 overs UP bowled in Saurashtra’s second innings, Praveen bowled just one.

What’s interesting is that the national selectors had no clue about Praveen’s injury when they named the squad for the first three ODIs against West Indies. While Praveen was due to visit the National Cricket Academy in Bangalore for getting his fitness certificate, the physios at the NCA neither informed the selectors that PK had missed the test nor did they tell them that he had not been certified fit.

Assuming that Praveen was available for selection, the selectors not only named him in the squad for the ODIs but also for the Australia Test series.

While one cannot be certain whether PK will make an appearance during the West Indies ODIs, or in the Australia Tests for that matter, the soap opera of mysterious injuries to Indian cricketers just doesn’t seem to end

G.I.Joe

International Coach
No such thing as a 'blunt chest', unless they mean 'blunt chest trauma', which is not an actual diagnosis in itself.

Katju was right. Journalistic standards in the country have fallen appallingly.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
No such thing as a 'blunt chest', unless they mean 'blunt chest trauma', which is not an actual diagnosis in itself.

Katju was right. Journalistic standards in the country have fallen appallingly.
Harsh to blame the media for some statement in those words, which the BCCI has issued after remaining in secrecy earlier.

As for Katju, he is right in some cases but Indian media is still better than a lot of other countries and certainly doesn't require government control, which he has been brought in to try and do.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Harsh to blame the media for some statement in those words, which the BCCI has issued after remaining in secrecy earlier.
That is no excuse, tbh. Any respectable news outlet should these stories by their health correspondents before publishing them.