• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
Problem with that is that a pitch like that will get reported.

Whereas this pitch will get away with it because we had an incredible finish, despite the pitch being shocking for 4 days.
Indian pitches have always been flat/slow to begin with and then come alive at the end.

The transition this test was slower than it used to be though. I predicted much more rapid deterioration after watching day 1.

I think the reason must simply be pitches are better looked after during matches these days.

Xuhaib

International Coach
amazing finish will allow this pitch to get away from any blame.The only reason we had a close game was we had windies- chanderpaul batting this morning. Any other side would have batted an hour after lunch set a 350 target to India with India ending up at 150-3.

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
amazing finish will allow this pitch to get away from any blame.The only reason we had a close game was we had windies- chanderpaul batting this morning. Any other side would have batted an hour after lunch set a 350 target to India with India ending up at 150-3.
It was quite clearly a deliberate tactic though, great attacking captaincy I thought

Woodster

International Captain
Incredible finish to what was a dull Test match up to the morning of the fifth day. As people have posted, this will take some of the criticism away from what was a pitch not made for an entertaining battle between bat and ball.

WI's batting must have been poor, losing the last eight wickets for 43 runs, but fair play to them for fighting their way back into it to earn a draw.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wow, a federation of 3.2 Million come within a cats whisker of beating 1.2 Billion in their own conditions. In spite of their decline in the last decade or so along with loss a players like Gayle etc, the Windies still produce some amazing talent given their sparse resources. Talk about a David & Goliath battle.

Also, what a performance from Ashwin, so close to the elite century & 10 wickets in a match club. Just a shame that it sounds like he made a muppet of himself at the end.

Zinzan

What happened to Ashwin at the end? Can't believe WI managed to draw the match. I was thinking that it would be a whitewash.
I didn't actually see it, but reading this thread suggests he was lethargic taking the first run ruling out any outside possibility of him getting back for the two required for the win.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, a federation of 3.2 Million come within a cats whisker of beating 1.2 Billion in their own conditions. In spite of their decline in the last decade or so along with loss a players like Gayle etc, the Windies still produce some amazing talent given their sparse resources. Talk about a David & Goliath battle.

Also, what a performance from Ashwin, so close to the elite century & 10 wickets in a match club. Just a shame that it sounds like he made a muppet of himself at the end.
I can't help but thinking WI are getting over-praised in this thread.

Their collapse was nothing short of gutless and if we're being honest, the only reason they had a chance of winning was because they had been 2-0 down due to their poor performances in the previous tests, and hence India were willing to gamble a loss to attempt a whitewash. They only came close to winning because India deliberately let them.

Out of all the WI collapses this series yesterday's was the worst. Heads should roll. Samuels' shot was Haddin-esque dumb.

Woodster

International Captain
I can't help but thinking WI are getting over-praised in this thread.

Their collapse was nothing short of gutless and if we're being honest, the only reason they had a chance of winning was because they had been 2-0 down due to their poor performances in the previous tests, and hence India were willing to gamble a loss to attempt a whitewash. They only came close to winning because India deliberately let them.

Out of all the WI collapses this series yesterday's was the worst. Heads should roll. Samuels' shot was Haddin-esque dumb.
I think you may be overlooking the amount of inexperience in this WI side, there's a whole group of players in this squad atill learning about their own game, let alone learning about Test cricket. What you get with such inexperience, is inconsistency. Don't think anyone is suggesting WI did well in that first session, and a session so horrific can cost you in Test cricket, but they showed good character in coming back from such a disappointment and managing to get a draw.

As for "They only came close to winning because India deliberately let them", perhaps you need to credit WI for getting in the position they did after they had the better of the exchanges for the first four days. They only nearly gifted India a win becuase their performance dropped horribly in that first session.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Just watched a replay of it. Ashwin was never going to make it, there wouldn't have even been more implied pressure, the guy was throwing it as he was turning. God, whoever the commentator was at the end **** me to tears too.

_Ed_

What an incredible finish! Must have been amazing to watch.

I'm finding it pretty exciting just reading through the text commentary.

I particularly loved this gem:
Cricinfo said:
this is ridiculous. They are disintegrating faster than an empty icecream cone under Steve Waugh's Out Of My Comfort Zone.
Outstanding.

chicane

State Captain
Just watched a replay of it. Ashwin was never going to make it, there wouldn't have even been more implied pressure, the guy was throwing it as he was turning. God, whoever the commentator was at the end **** me to tears too.
Yeah he wouldn't have made it 99% but he didn't exactly charge that first run and he still should have just run back for the 1% chance. Would have been so much more terrible if the keeper missed.

That little brain freeze aside, what a performance by Mr. Win! Bet he'll see us through to victory next time in Aus! :cool:

Redbacks

International Captain
What's the worst that could have happened had he turned for 2. Getting run out...

At the very least he could have blocked the line of the thrower and the keepers line of sight. It was soft IMO and he will surely learn from the mistake.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
What's the worst that could have happened had he turned for 2. Getting run out...

At the very least he could have blocked the line of the thrower and the keepers line of sight. It was soft IMO and he will surely learn from the mistake.
Juz think it was a bit of a brain freeze under tremendous pressure. Happens to the best of us, think back to Donald and Klusener in that WC semi.. Hopefully he learns from this as he has shown he has much more calm and confidence when he has the ball in his hands in similar tight situations.

That said, this was INdia''s game to lose and they almost did it. Credit to Windies for hanging in there but a very disappointing batting performance there by India, AFAIC. We should have won in a canter, esp. after that 2nd wicket partnership.

Shri

Mr. Glass
More pissed off about Ashwin allowing Aaron to run a single off the last ball of the over before the last over.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Should have been Ojha walking in ahead of Aaron anyway. It still puzzles me whay you'd send in a debutant ahead of a guy who's been involved in close finishes before.