• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

BeeGee

International Captain
Woodhill says three pace bowlers should do the job this week.

"There are not too many times where you'd play four pace bowlers at the Gabba. There's a chance they wouldn't be used enough if the ball does a bit. Trent [Boult] would have to push one of the other three out to get a go. In Australia generally I think you should pick your six best batsmen first."
Hmmmmm. I think he's being a little optimistic. Sure Aus had a few poor batting performances in the SA series, but Steyn, Philander and Morkel are in a different talent dimension to Southee, Martin and Bracewell.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What makes you think other bowlers who can't even take as many wickets as Copeland in Shield cricket, will be able to in test cricket?
I know I've already used this quote, but I've just discovered something.

Cutting, Starc, Siddle and Pattinson all take wickets at a quicker rate compared with Copeland across their First Class careers.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ryder while enjoying Beer tries to break another window.

Over 46.4: Beer to Ryder, SIX, steps across and flicks the ball away high over midwicket and over the fence! It hits the netting protecting the Queensland Cricket offices!

Sylvester

State Captain
Over 47.6: Cutting to Ryder, no run, short ball and Ryder ducks into it to take the shot on the side of his helmet. Nasty ball from Cutting, NZ 3/149 (Taylor 60, Ryder 16).
Cutting bouncer strikes again.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I know I've already used this quote, but I've just discovered something.

Cutting, Starc, Siddle and Pattinson all take wickets at a quicker rate compared with Copeland across their First Class careers.
As in, they have a better strike rate? Because overall, Copeland's wicket to match ratio is unmatched. Plus Copeland's and Starc's are basically the same, while JP's is worse.

They're different bowlers. The four you mentioned will go for more runs while searching for a wicket ball. Copeland is at you mentally, never giving an inch, forcing you into a tired mistake.

Surely you understand that.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
You have to question why they weren't considered viable test options though. Dale is similar to Copeland in that he was subject to being underated because of his lack of pace. How do you bloody know if they are viable or not though if you don't give them a fair shot! He was given two tests, what a joke...and unfortunately Copeland could be heading down the same path.
The fact that he was playing at the Gabba every second game was also a reason why he didn't get too many games.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Yeah, Guppy gets out in the 40s again, but this time I don't mind it so much. Gives Ryder time out in the middle which he desparetely needs.

Should bat till tea then bowl for a session, I reckon.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
As in, they have a better strike rate? Because overall, Copeland's wicket to match ratio is unmatched. Plus Copeland's and Starc's are basically the same, while JP's is worse.

They're different bowlers. The four you mentioned will go for more runs while searching for a wicket ball. Copeland is at you mentally, never giving an inch, forcing you into a tired mistake.

Surely you understand that.
Yes. Better strike rate. Copeland takes more wickets per match because he bowls more overs per match.

I do understand your point completely, which is why I would have picked Copeland in a 5 man attack if Watson was fit.

In a 4 man attack that features Nathan Lyon, I think the selectors want 3 wicket takers, regardless if they go for a couple extra runs per wicket (which they might not even do).

I'm going in circles here. Copeland is solid but I don't think his non-selection is as big a travesty as others think - Of course he was handled poorly, but that's due to different selectors having different opinions.

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Declaring now wouldn't be a bad idea, but would probably like to see Jesse spend a little bit more time in the middle. Maybe 10 or so overs after lunch. Don't really want to give Warner too much time in the middle either, tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Declaring now wouldn't be a bad idea, but would probably like to see Jesse spend a little bit more time in the middle. Maybe 10 or so overs after lunch. Don't really want to give Warner too much time in the middle either, tbh.
Yeah a few overs after lunch should do it.

Howsie

International Captain
Mitchell Starc is obviously a certainty for the first test seeing as he hasn't bowled a ball all day.