• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I think Hilfenhaus' time in the team was largely unsuccessful tbh. In 17 matches he never got a 5 wicket haul and only performed well against the lesser batting sides like Pak and WI. Hilf's main role wasn't to be a strike bowler, but even in just building pressure he disappointed - too much of the same bowling without attacking enough lines and with little variation. I don't buy the whole 'unlucky' thing either. If he was unlucky due to a lot of dropped catches I'd agree, but that isn't the reason he was considered unlucky. It was because he often 'beat the bat' without taking the edge. For Hilf, that is an illusion of being 'unlucky' though. His style of bowling, almost always outside off with quite early swing from the hand, makes it seem like batsmen are troubled - imo the reality is because of his predictable lines, batsmen find it relatively easy to draw their bat in negating the swing.
I know he never took 5 wickets in an innings and I'm not suggesting his Test career was extraordinary, but it was going along fine before the last Ashes series. His First Ashes series was a success too, leading wicket taker if I recall.

I've read some articles recently where Hilfenhaus has said that he feels back to 100% finally after injuring himself in a very good performance at the GABBA against the Windies almost 2 years ago.

He potentially still has an Australian future so I'm happy he's selected for the A team.

Flem274*

123/5
Cutting copping a bit from Guptill and Damien Wright on Twitter...obviously didn't live up to all the noises he was making in the media.
So glad that **** got smashes.

Saturday or Sunday I believe.

On another note, Cummins' injury status has now been updated to in "extreme doubt" for the first test.

So that's potentially Harris, Cummins, Johnson and Watson not available which could mean there will be some interesting selections. Copeland is probably a near certainty to play now, as would be Siddle, but who would be the third? Bollinger perhaps might get another chance!

Edit: Wait...Dougeh is injured isn't he? Hmm who could be next cab of the rank then?
WTF? Since when was Cummins in doubt?

Put it down to the fact it would be too embarrassing getting out to him..remember when you were at school, and the really rubbish kid came onto bowl? You were scared to play a shot, lest you got out and copped it forever more? Yep.
:laugh:

Ruckus

International Captain
I know he never took 5 wickets in an innings and I'm not suggesting his Test career was extraordinary, but it was going along fine before the last Ashes series. His First Ashes series was a success too, leading wicket taker if I recall.

I've read some articles recently where Hilfenhaus has said that he feels back to 100% finally after injuring himself in a very good performance at the GABBA against the Windies almost 2 years ago.

He potentially still has an Australian future so I'm happy he's selected for the A team.
Yeah I have nothing against him, seems like a genuinely nice bloke, but I'd hope, especially with the new management, he will only get back into the side after peforming really well (or at least, better than others) in Shield cricket for a season or two. He's going well so far this season, but he has to keep it up for a while longer yet. If can show he is at, or near, the top of the pack in Shield cricket then I'd be happy for him to get another go, should the situation arise.

uvelocity

International Coach
In regard to the bowling, should all 3 of the above be out, imo it's high time to SOS Binga. What did he have, appendicitis, should be good now?

Batista1

Cricket Spectator
In regard to the bowling, should all 3 of the above be out, imo it's high time to SOS Binga. What did he have, appendicitis, should be good now?
i agree

with all these injury woes and the fact that johnson and siddle have gone south, Brett Lee looks like a superstar and lets face it he wasnt the best test bowler in the world. But hes better then some of the bowlers that we've got now!

Ponting to get to 13,000 test match runs this series

Last edited:

ganeshran

International Debutant
i agree

with all these injury woes and the fact that johnson and siddle have gone south, Brett Lee looks like a superstar and lets face it he wasnt the best test bowler in the world. But hes better then some of the bowlers that we've got now!

Ponting to get to 13,000 test match runs this series
443 runs in 4 innings?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Cricinfo saying that this is a Two Test Series, and nothing else. Really?!
Apart from the tour match, yep. No Chappell Hadlee ODI series, no nothing. We're back to NZ to play Zimbabwe in January, Australia are hosting India aren't they?

outbreak

First Class Debutant
SO what's the aussie line up going to be without watson, johnson, harris, marsh and cummins?

hughes
warner
khawaja
ponting
clarke
hussey
haddin
siddle
copeland
hilfenhaus/cutting/pattinson
lyon

Sylvester

State Captain
Looks about right if worse comes to shove. Hopefully Cummins is right on his body though then we don't have to worry about it.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It really bothers me that Lyon's name is inked in. Steve O'Keefe really should be there. Lyon has potential and all, but how long will it take for him to actually realise it? Meanwhile we have a bowler with proven ability and form who is also a very good contributor with the bat, ready to roll. I suppose we can't have too many changes to the lineup, but it still ****s me.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I agree O'keefe should have been in before Lyon, but the new selectors aren't going to do a back flip now until Lyon plays some terrible games. At the moment he hasn't been bad enough to drop on his own performance and they won't admit that someone better was available over him. O'Keefe imo is a better player at every aspect of the game and is a smarter cricketer and better leader then Lyon is.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Think play's about to start on day two now - a bit early because of the time they lost yesterday.

Sounds like the weather's a bit iffy again, though.