• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Dale Steyn making a mess of his cheekbone prety much made a mess of his international career as well. From memory, was 47 not out in that innings and looking really good. Not saying he would've kicked on to an amazing career, but he may have made the spot his for a while longer.

I'm not sure it deserves its own thread (it may well do) but anyone see the article on Stuff about the statistical and percentile weighings that now go into national selection? NZC has lost its mind. As someone said, why not just make Francis Payne the head of selectors?
I think it's a bit of a shame for Cumming that he played when he did, tbh. Domestically he was actually a very late bloomer; he was always a good domestic batsman but he wasn't an amazing force consistency until after his international career was over. I think he improved as a player and could've done a better job for New Zealand with another chance, or if he got his chance a bit later.

As for that article.. yeah, weird. I mean, I probably agree with the theory more than 99% of the population as I'm always banging on about how selection should be largely performance-based, but basing the entire thing on one formula and expecting it to take every eventuality into account makes about as much sense as picking the team from net sessions.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
I think Dale Steyn making a mess of his cheekbone prety much made a mess of his international career as well. From memory, was 47 not out in that innings and looking really good. Not saying he would've kicked on to an amazing career, but he may have made the spot his for a while longer.

I'm not sure it deserves its own thread (it may well do) but anyone see the article on Stuff about the statistical and percentile weighings that now go into national selection? NZC has lost its mind. As someone said, why not just make Francis Payne the head of selectors?
I've always felt that Cumming was the hardest done by in our never ending circle of openers. Had the potential to average near 35 and only really lost his spot due to Steyn breaking his face.

Howsie

International Captain
You may as well get a computer to select the bloody team.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
From the looks of it, they are.

Under this system, the likes of Sinclair/Ingram etc are surely much more likely to get a look in. Selectors intuition gets 5% - clearly they don't rate their own opinions.

We should've known this sort of carry on was coming with Buchanan. Always trying to outdo himself by thinking so far outside the square he's lost contact with reality.

Howsie

International Captain
"Where it is most useful is when we have to leave a player out of the team. We can point to one of those sections and pinpoint where they need to work.
Player scores heavily in domestic cricket, player gets selected, player underperforms, player gets dropped, player gets told to score heavily. Repeat.

Edit: Not that it's not been happening around this country for years anyway.

Last edited:

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
Surely it would be used to select a pool of top players, and then the team will be selected from there.

I kind of like this idea, as it's similar to the new age general managers in baseball using sabermetrics to construct a roster. However statistics shouldn't be used on their own, especially without some advanced (and proven) formulae. Sabermetric analysis is pretty advanced compared to statistics used in cricket.

I'm picking there is some common sense involved.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
There's merit in statistics, absolutely. It should form the basis and some sort of system can only be a good thing.

But only 5% on intuition, and the other 95% on stats? Seriously?

trapol

U19 12th Man
That's where you're incorrect Howsie

What our domestic competition over the last 10 years, maybe longer has shown us is that success at the first class level even consistent success is no gauge on whether that player will succeed at the next level above.

So simply scoring heavily isn't enough. Scoring runs under pressure, scoring runs against quality better bowlers, vice versa for the bowlers is more important. In my view

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well CPL/CWPL says this should be the team:

BB McCullum
MJ Guptill
KS Williamson
LRPL Taylor
JD Ryder
DL Vettori
JEC Franklin
RA Young
TG Southee
IE O'Brien
CS Martin

Which funnily enough is pretty close to what I'd pick at full strength. If you scratch O'Brien because of his injury then it picks Arnel, which is where it starts to go a little off the boil. It'd pick Wagner ahead of both Arnel and Martin if he was eligible though. Boult would be ahead of them all (bar Southee) if he wasn't nerfed for not playing much cricket yet.

I don't mind the idea of using a good model to determine which players should be in contention, and then picking a team from a pool of 25 odd statistically chosen players, but from reading the article it doesn't really seem like they're doing that at all. Pretty ridiculous, all in all, IMO.

James

Cricket Web Owner
We're going to doing a Fantasy Cricket competition for the HRV Cup and I was wondering and hoping someone here wouldn't mind sparing 30 minutes or so of their time to run their eyes over the player rankings that have been put together for all the players.

If you are interested, please contact me through one of the methods in my email signature :)

Cheers in advance!

trapol

U19 12th Man
James - you've left a player in the HRV

He would be a class A worth 15. You up for guessing or if you can't be bothered I will just tell you