• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

Teja.

Global Moderator
I have never attached too much importance to the 100 centuries record, if truth be told, as it seems to be a rather artificial perversion of test and ODI records. Thought the 50 test tons milestone was much bigger as will be the 50 ODI tons milestone, personally.

Still, will be rather nice to seem him get it in front of a home crowd which obviously loves him and attaches a great deal of importance to the record.

Woodster

International Captain
I honestly do not believe that success is out of the reach of a top quality bowler though. Sustained spells of pressure and hitting the correct length could induce an edge. There were a good deal of plays and misses, after all. Moreover, the old trick of full fast and straight was not persisted with for a long enough time to see if it would have worked. I was too young to remember, but I doubt the young Waqar relied too much on pitches - he bowled merely very full.

The issue is identifying a pitch like this in the first innings so that you can undergo radical schemes like a very full length or a very straight line, perhaps. Of course, if the track is not as flat as once thought, you might be chasing far more than you had bargained for.
I don't doubt that an exceptional bowler such as Waqar could extract something out of this pitch, or take the pitch out of the equation totally, sadly there are not too many bowlers like that around, and certainly not in this game.

There are certain tactics captains and their bowlers can experiment with, but it is very difficult for them to have much effect on this pitch if the batting is disciplined and patient.

There's no swing on offer either (not the pitch's fault), whether that's due to the skill of the bowlers or conditions simply not conducive. There has to be a contest between bat and ball, the odds here are very heavily stacked in the batsman's favour, far too much so.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Must admit I will laugh if when I get up tomorrow he has failed. Hope he gets it though, stop all the near yearlong hype about it all.

sreeku7

School Boy/Girl Captain
I honestly do not believe that success is out of the reach of a top quality bowler though. Sustained spells of pressure and hitting the correct length could induce an edge. There were a good deal of plays and misses, after all. Moreover, the old trick of full fast and straight was not persisted with for a long enough time to see if it would have worked. I was too young to remember, but I doubt the young Waqar relied too much on pitches - he bowled merely very full.

The issue is identifying a pitch like this in the first innings so that you can undergo radical schemes like a very full length or a very straight line, perhaps. Of course, if the track is not as flat as once thought, you might be chasing far more than you had bargained for.
Aaron impressed in his last spell and showed that there are ways to take wickets even when the pitch has nothing to offer.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
So pissed! I'll be out and won't be able to catch the first two hours of the day's play, cannot miss Sachin's 100th ton :(

Hope he doesn't get it :shy:

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
I have never attached too much importance to the 100 centuries record, if truth be told, as it seems to be a rather artificial perversion of test and ODI records. Thought the 50 test tons milestone was much bigger as will be the 50 ODI tons milestone, personally.

Still, will be rather nice to seem him get it in front of a home crowd which obviously loves him and attaches a great deal of importance to the record.
AWTA and I wouldn't be surprised if Sachin thought that way himself about the whole 100 tons achievement. Like you say though, it will be good for the guy to get the monkey off his back in front of his home fans because there's no doubt about it, the pressure that's been built up over the past year, seems to have effected his game to a certain degree.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Not sure why people think its going to be a sell out because of Sachin's 100th ton or whatever. Its sold out because Kohli is in next.

Pretty obvious.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I left work to watch this at the gym lol. Love Laxman for getting out so the crowd can see what they've all come for.

Virat :cool:

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member

Stop acting erudite and join the mob. :p

COME ON SACHIN !!!