• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah ok. What do you think the chance is for at least 1 of these 3 replacing Johnson or Siddle?
Not great. There are lots of injuries about so I don't think there will be any unforced changes. If there are, Copeland will get first crack by virtue of being on tour, I reckon, unless someone does something really special in this match (not looking good so far on that front).

As I said before I actually think Hilf is the best bowler playing in this match and I'm not a Hilf fan. That'll probably disappoint a few people but it's the truth IMO. Bollinger and Cameron are better than Hilf but they're injured and I think Butterworth is better than Hilf too but he didn't get picked for this match.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't get why someone like Starc gets a place in the A side over e.g. Butterworth.
The Australia A side isn't a genuine Second XI; it's a team comprised of players the selectors believe may be good enough to play for Australia. I'm a very performance-orientated selection sort of guy, but even I don't really have too many problems with players getting picked in the A side based on pretty much just potential; better than using the Test side for such things.

BeeGee

International Captain
Bad light? Lame.

We have just been informed that the players are coming from the field not for bad light, but because the bowling run ups are too slippery at present.
And the bowlers have only just noticed that after 41 overs?

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Hilfenhaus may have struggled to get wickets with 135-140km/h outswing a foot outside off against some teams, but it does have a history of getting wickets against us.

Ruckus

International Captain
As I said before I actually think Hilf is the best bowler playing in this match and I'm not a Hilf fan. That'll probably disappoint a few people but it's the truth IMO.
Pattinson is a better bowler than Hilf already imo, and has far more potential to increase that margin.

The Australia A side isn't a genuine Second XI; it's a team comprised of players the selectors believe may be good enough to play for Australia. I'm a very performance-orientated selection sort of guy, but even I don't really have too many problems with players getting picked in the A side based on pretty much just potential; better than using the Test side for such things.
Yeah I can understand that mentality, but unfortunately good performances in the A side are often a launching point into the test team. And there is no way if Starc performed really well in this match he'd deserve to play for Australia over a handful of other better bowlers who didn't even get the chance to play.

BeeGee

International Captain
Hilfenhaus may have struggled to get wickets with 135-140km/h outswing a foot outside off against some teams, but it does have a history of getting wickets against us.
From a foot outside off stump to leg stump is the Kiwi batsman corridor of uncertainty.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah I can understand that mentality, but unfortunately good performances in the A side are often a launching point into the test team. And there is no way if Starc performed really well in this match he'd deserve to play for Australia over a handful of other better bowlers who didn't even get the chance to play.
Yeah I agree, but I think the problem there lies in how much one good performances for Australia A could count for rather than the selection process for the side. 'A' matches should be used to give additional opportunities to players you'd really like to succeed; typically those with high ceilings. If you pick a bloke purely on potential and he has a good game, though, that doesn't mean he should be suddenly in contention if the rest of his career/season has been mediocre.

Riggins

International Captain
Is this game on a live stream anywhere. Not that I'd watch NZ bat anyway in an unheard protest to Timmy Mac not playing.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Over 0.1: Hilfenhaus to McCullum, FOUR, gets on the back foot and smashes it to the point boundary.
Over 1.1: Pattinson to McCullum, FOUR, short, pulled to the square leg boundary! BOOM!
Over 10.1: Starc to McCullum, FOUR, cut from the back foot over the top of point! Cracking shot!
Over 10.2: Starc to McCullum, SIX, short on the hip, pulled over the rope near fine leg.
Over 14.4: Starc to McCullum, FOUR, pulled from the hip to backward square leg. McCullum 50*(50
Over 16.5: Starc to McCullum, SIX, picked up off the hip, and he clears the backward square leg boundary!
Over 22.2: Pattinson to McCullum, SIX, short, pulled high over the midwicket fence!
Over 26.1: Pattinson to McCullum, SIX, very short, pulled easily over the fence at midwicket! Vintage McCullum!
Over 29.3: Cutting to McCullum, SIX, short ball outside off, lofts it over deep point!
Over 31.4: Cutting to McCullum, FOUR, short, pulled over the top of short midwicket.
Over 34.3: Hilfenhaus to McCullum, SIX, short, pulled once again over the fence at deep midwicket!

You'd think they'd learn to stop bowling so short.
where are you picking the commentary up from ? I can't see any commentary on cricinfo for this game

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah I agree, but I think the problem there lies in how much one good performances for Australia A could count for rather than the selection process for the side. 'A' matches should be used to give additional opportunities to players you'd really like to succeed; typically those with high ceilings. If you pick a bloke purely on potential and he has a good game, though, that doesn't mean he should be suddenly in contention if the rest of his career/season has been mediocre.
Yeah, indeed. What I still don't understand though, is that if you are picking an A team based on players who have potential or whatever, why is someone like Hilf playing? Potential could explain the inclusion of Starc, Pattinson and Cutting, but you can't say Hilfenhaus has very much potential, or at least any more than the next bowler. He is nearing 29, and has basically shown he doesn't really have what it takes to be successful in test cricket, so why the perseverance? If their reason is he that has performed well in shield cricket this season, then that begs the question of why other players who have performed well (and in more than just for this season) aren't given preference.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Boult, Southee & Bracewell all out-bowl Martin in this match, do you guys think our selectors will have the guts & the smarts to drop Martin for the 1st Test?

BeeGee

International Captain
If Boult, Southee & Bracewell all out-bowl Martin in this match, do you guys think our selectors will have the guts & the smarts to drop Martin for the 1st Test?
No. Martin is a lock. Why do you think he was sent to do the press interviews on arrival in Aus? They see him as the leader of the bowling attack regardless of the numbers/form/history/warm-up performance. He'd have to be injured to not play.