• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fair to say Williamson's been in reasonable sort of nick based on his last 5 innings of (across tour matches, FC, Test & ODI's)........

284*,49, 68, 86*,100* = 587 runs @ an average of 293.5

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can't wait till Kane scores a triple against Aussie. It'll be great.

And that's right, heard it here first.

Howsie

International Captain
Hmmm, I don't know why Canterbury have continued on here now that George Worker has brought up his maiden first class 100.

Mike5181

International Captain
Michael Mason grabs six wickets, then calls time

It wasn't a beer Michael Mason wanted, or even the nearest ice bath, after claiming his best first-class bowling figures yesterday.

No, the first priority for the veteran Central Districts fast bowler was telling manager Lance Hamilton and captain Jamie How that he wasn't playing four-day cricket again.

The 37-year-old Mason was coaxed out of Plunket Shield retirement for this week's match against Otago at Lincoln University. After going wicket-less in Otago's first innings, the former Black Cap took a career-best six for 20 as the Volts were dismissed for a shameful 62, to hand CD victory by an innings and seven runs.

"Hammer and Howzer were trying to get me, while I was on a high, to come and play the next game. I said `maybe after a few drinks tonight'.

"But I got in there early and said no," Mason said.

"It's too close a turnaround and I promised my family I'd be home after this one anyway. I was always going home."

Mason, who has two children, decided to put them first this summer. He'd appear for the Stags only in the domestic one-day and Twenty20 competitions. But with Doug Bracewell made unavailable for this match by New Zealand Cricket, and fast bowlers Ben Wheeler and Stevie Smidt injured, Mason gave in to How's urging.

"He basically starting texting me during the game before [against Wellington], trying to throw a few hints my way. Then I had another little talk with him last Friday and made the decision that I'd come down and have a bit of a bowl," Mason said.

A heavy weights session on that Friday, then an indoor bowl the following day, meant Mason arrived at Lincoln pretty sore.

"I was struggling a little bit on the first day but I couldn't pull out because there was no-one else," said Mason, whose 263 wickets for the Stags have him second on their all-time list behind David O'Sullivan with 392.

"So I gutsed it out and gradually every day the back improved and today it actually felt pretty good. It's still a little bit sore, the single beds in the [university] halls [of residence] weren't the best in the world, but it made you look forward to cricket and getting out of the room."

Taking six wickets in an innings for just the second time in his career helped ease the pain too.

"Things just went right. Whereas in the past you might get a lot of play-and-misses, today I finally got a few nicks which were very welcome.

"They were all pretty good wickets too, so it was a good six-for."

Mason intends to have a light bowl this weekend, for Manawatu against Horowhenua-Kapiti, then be at full speed next Friday when CD begin their one-day campaign against Canterbury.
Ad Feedback

At Rangiora, Canterbury face a balancing act to set Auckland an enticing final day run chase today. With George Worker unbeaten on 74, Canterbury lead Auckland by 288 with five second innings wickets in hand. Auckland cut the hosts' first innings lead to 110 yesterday thanks to test opener Martin Guptill's career-best 195 not out off 437 balls. He hit 22 fours and two sixes.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/cricket/5981209/Michael-Mason-grabs-six-wickets-then-calls-time - The Dominion Post

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Weak bowling attack or not, Canterbury should back themselves to knock over Auckland to win this - particularly if they can break this partnership (de Boorder and McIntosh) soon.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Auckland continue to sink resources into Kitchen, but he's probably only good enough to be a fridge* player.

:ph34r:

* fringe... I meant fringe

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
:laugh:

Kitchen has been all right for Guptillland iirc. One of the better batsmen they have at least.
Really? I don't remember him scoring many runs the last couple of seasons... Or perhaps I just forgot about ones that were scored on State Highway 1.

Are you less lazy than me and able to find stats?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Another wicket and Canterbury are in to the tail
Mills is a fair batsman at this level - averages a tick under 36 with the bat in FC if you take out his Test stats.

Yes, I'm being an endlessly optimistic Auckland supporter.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Mills is a fair batsman at this level - averages a tick under 36 with the bat in FC if you take out his Test stats.

Used to average a lot more than that though; his FC batting really dropped away for a while, although he did have a pretty good season with the blade last season IIRC.

Athlai

Not Terrible

But his hair is similar to the Marshall twins which would indicate he is a rubbish batsman.