• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Flem274*

123/5
As a backup batsman or a backup opener?

Back up batsman: cbf naming them all

Back up opener: Rob Nicol, Peter Ingram (I know nothing about Murdoch so won't include him)

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah, backup opener would be Nicol and if you were going for a general backup batsman Broom would be the best option despite his domestic form. I'd place Franklin ahead of Watling to be perfectly honest.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd go Franklin over Watling as well, but they are probably looking for general cover including as an opener.

So I'm surprised Rob Nicol didn't get picked, although then there's the back-up wicketkeeper stuff as well. But surely McCullum would do it on a one-off basis...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That is exactly the sort of post that will convince me that you are the most knowledgeable person around here. And my favourite.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
It's difficult because I think Brownlie is a genuine chance to score runs vs Australia.

Doubt we'll know who misses out until the morning of the first test.
Brownlie must play. NZ must try to come away with a draw. The last time we gambled on a win instead of being conservative we played Hamish Bennet. And look how that turned out.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I'd go Franklin over Watling as well, but they are probably looking for general cover including as an opener.

So I'm surprised Rob Nicol didn't get picked, although then there's the back-up wicketkeeper stuff as well. But surely McCullum would do it on a one-off basis...
Even if Franklin scores 6 domestic centuries in a row I don't want him selected due to his technical flaws.

Flem274*

123/5
Brownlie must play. NZ must try to come away with a draw. The last time we gambled on a win instead of being conservative we played Hamish Bennet. And look how that turned out.
I can honestly say right now I would rather lose having a crack than draw with your tactics.

We will never improve if we employ negative tactics. A test side aiming to draw test matches is a test side that should be demoted to associate cricket.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I can honestly say right now I would rather lose having a crack than draw with your tactics.

We will never improve if we employ negative tactics. A test side aiming to draw test matches is a test side that should be demoted to associate cricket.
x2. A draw doesn't interest me in the slightest. If you gave me one win out of the five Tests we've got against Australia and South Africa, I would take it with four losses. Especially if it was in Australia.

We're never going to improve from eighth if we endeavour to draw Test matches.

Haha, you'll all keep. Colin Munro is a gun, why else would Tazz sponsor him?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

They're not negative tactics. We played 6 bats against India and no one accused us of being negative. Being negative would be picking all rounders for our bowling attack.

I think we have as much chance of getting 20 wickets with 4 good bowlers as we do with 5 bowlers. I stress 4 good bowlers. Because against india in the 1st test one of them broke down, and one of them was Patel.

I think a draw against Aussie would be a success for us no doubt. But I also suggest that having an extra batsman extends the New Zealand inning for longer and puts us in a position to win as well.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
x2. A draw doesn't interest me in the slightest. If you gave me one win out of the five Tests we've got against Australia and South Africa, I would take it with four losses. Especially if it was in Australia.

We're never going to improve from eighth if we endeavour to draw Test matches.

Haha, you'll all keep. Colin Munro is a gun, why else would Tazz sponsor him?
We also don't have the batting lineup to draw test matches as they're all strokemakers who like to score quickly.

Go Colin?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
With regard to Boult vs Brownlie, the first question for me is whether a draw is even possible on the Brisbane pitch. If we turn up the first morning, conditions are forecast as overcast for five days and the wicket is green then we can count out a draw.

Then the question is, who gives us more chance of winning the match? It's still a difficult one because, although those conditions would help Boult, the other seamers may be able to get the job done without him - Boult would just be an extra roll of the dice if any of the others are bowling badly. So it might seem defensive but in those conditions a few extra runs from Brownlie might give us more of a chance of winning than Boult.

On a flatter pitch playing Boult is definitely the attacking move and Brownlie the defensive one.

Flem274*

123/5
Four bowlers: everyone needs (on average) 5 wickets each to win the match.

Five bowlers: Four wickets.

We have a gun allrounder, a wicketkeeper who can defend and stay at the crease, and bowlers who can hold a bat. Bearing that in mind, which way is easiest to win the match?

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Four bowlers: everyone needs (on average) 5 wickets each to win the match.

Five bowlers: Four wickets.

We have a gun allrounder, a wicketkeeper who can defend and stay at the crease, and bowlers who can hold a bat. Bearing that in mind, which way is easiest to win the match?
I am not expecting big things out of SoutheeBracewell and Boult (batting) none of them is good enough to be a test match 8.

Southee belongs at 9 or 10.