• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Howsie

International Captain
Trent Boult :wub:

13 man squad, BJ Watling and Boult the two "surprises" I suppose. Watling staying at home though so New Zealand will only go over with 12.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Full squad: Trent Boult, Ross Taylor, Doug Bracewell, Dean Brownlie, Martin Guptill, Chris Martin, Brendon McCullum, Jesse Ryder, Tim Southee, Daniel Vettori, Kane Williamson, BJ Watling, Reece Young

Source is twitter. Still waiting on official announcement.

Flem274*

123/5
MargotButcher said:
"We have decided to allow BJ Watling to play in the third round of #PlunketShield to give him maximum game time" - will not play Oz warm-up
Oh ffs, if Watling hits a ton..

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watling :eek:

It's nice that the selectors are keeping the faith and all, but really, he looked awful in Zimbabwe.

Boult though :)

Flem274*

123/5
Watling seems like a decent bloke, is a good opener for ND, and has time on his side, but he really isn't test standard right now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Watling seems like a decent bloke, is a good opener for ND, and has time on his side, but he really isn't test standard right now.
It's disappointing because it was repeated (by news websites) over and over when he was playing domestic cricket prior to NZ debut was that he was a stonewaller with a very solid defensive technique.

But he doesn't have a solid defensive technique...

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's disappointing because it was repeated over and over when he was playing domestic cricket prior to NZ debut was that he was a stonewaller with a very solid defensive technique.

But he doesn't have a solid defensive technique...
He's definitely got a more "classical-looking" technique than the likes of Redmond, McIntosh, Cumming or even Ryder but that as you said that doesn't make it solid as he has several flaws. A bit like How in that respect.

Flem274*

123/5
Jamie How's main issue was planting the front foot with very hard hands against the moving ball iirc. Watling varies from poking outside off, shuffling around without really going anywhere, and not being able to handle spin.

I think Watling actually got worse after a few tests and degenerated from there. I think he could use a break.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jamie How's main issue was planting the front foot with very hard hands against the moving ball iirc. Watling varies from poking outside off, shuffling around without really going anywhere, and not being able to handle spin.

I think Watling actually got worse after a few tests and degenerated from there. I think he could use a break.
Yeah their technical faults aren't the same; I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that they both play 'pretty cricket' which makes them look suited to making a step up when they play at lower levels, but have been found out higher up due to flaws that perhaps aren't that obvious straight away.

Days of Grace

International Captain
So, first we had the Marshall twins, then Hopkins, and now ****ing Watling.

I guess we will be stuck with Watling taking up a place in touring squads for the next three years, no matter how wretched he is.

African Monkey

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah their technical faults aren't the same; I didn't mean it that way. I just meant that they both play 'pretty cricket' which makes them look suited to making a step up when they play at lower levels, but have been found out higher up due to flaws that perhaps aren't that obvious straight away.
Yes Jamie How was a player who looked good defensively but as flem said, he would go extremely hard at the ball which caused his downfall in international cricket.