• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Lolotago. Trying to erase a 70 run deficit and they're 8 down and still 10 runs shy.

CD won't let Michael Mason go back to semi-retirement now!

Flem274*

123/5
BigKnightsfan (the twitter commentator) said:
Sounds like cd have just got another wicket. Guys were saying this morning that the pitch s pretty flat over there
Second hand information, but Otago might have just stuffed up badly here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
It's a strangely common ploy in NZ domestic sides - Auckland and ND are often guilty too. Otago must be regretting dropping Michael Bracewell.

Edit: @Howsie

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And Vettori at 5, I think it was. I know, he's a decent bat and probably needs to practice his batting more than his bowling before the Aussie series, but still. It's like NZ first class cricket is like junior high school teams where the best bowlers are also the best batsmen.

Still, at least top scorers in our test side aren't numbers 10 and 11 (indeed with our current no. 11, that's guaranteed never to happen!) Not since the days of Vettori at 10, or maybe Simon Doull.
Vettori's about the fifth best batsman in the entire country these days so it's hardly a disgrace to see him batting five. Mills and McCullum each batting six was a pretty dire state of affairs but realistically the blokes batting 7 for both their respective teams are better bats.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nethula actually had a pretty good season last year too, at least by the standards of New Zealand domestic spinners. Hope he continues to go well.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It's a strangely common ploy in NZ domestic sides
Has been for as long as I can remember, too. When I first started really getting into NZ domestic cricket in the middle of last decade I raised eyebrows about the lack of players who batted lower than four with decent batting records. I was told the pitches of the time had a lot to do with that but if anything low scoring games should mean you can get away with picking fewer bowlers rather than batting someone like Yovich at 5 and picking six bowlers.

Pitches are a fair bit flatter these days across the board but we still see some really odd teams at times IMO. Even if Mills really is the sixth best batsman available which I find pretty hard to believe, the fact that he's an opening bowler means Auckland could then pick the seventh or eighth best batsmen available too. Bowling options are a diseconomy of scale in a way that batting depth isn't.

Flametree

International 12th Man
It's a strangely common ploy in NZ domestic sides - Auckland and ND are often guilty too. Otago must be regretting dropping Michael Bracewell.

Edit: @Howsie
Is it because teams think that if any bowler bowls 20 overs in an innings he will either break down or need to be "rested" for the next game, so packing the side with bowlers spreads the load around?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Has been for as long as I can remember, too. When I first started really getting into NZ domestic cricket in the middle of last decade I raised eyebrows about the lack of players who batted lower than four with decent batting records. I was told the pitches of the time had a lot to do with that but if anything low scoring games should mean you can get away with picking fewer bowlers rather than batting someone like Yovich at 5 and picking six bowlers.

Pitches are a fair bit flatter these days across the board but we still see some really odd teams at times IMO. Even if Mills really is the sixth best batsman available which I find pretty hard to believe, the fact that he's an opening bowler means Auckland could then pick the seventh or eighth best batsmen available too. Bowling options are a diseconomy of scale in a way that batting depth isn't.
I don't really have an answer as to why this is either... I thought it was something to do with pitches, and perhaps ND and Otago have more bowler-friendly wickets and use some sort of logic (?) that argues they should play more bowlers as a result. But Auckland have more batsman-friendly pitches and do the same thing.