• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
We can drop whoever is needed if it is for the good of the team.

He's played one test, and it's not like he is being dropped from the squad. He still knows he is on the cusp of forcing his way back in. Would do our batsmen good to know they have someone nipping their heels.

Besides, with Ryder's injury record, Brownlie is bound to get a second test sooner or later.
Fair, I should have said probably won't be dropped. Let's face it, we need to make outside the box decisions if we are going to start winning Tests again. The last one we won of real merit was England 08 at Hamilton. 3 and a half years ago.

And everyone knows that stuff going on in the comeback thread is a hoax, right?

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
NZ might not have the guys who can bat down there as they've had in the past, but it doesn't mean you should give up once you've lost 6 wickets.

Martin is and was a joke selection. His bowling has never been any better than mediocre and his presence costs the team roughly 40-50 runs a Test. You bat twice, then you not only don't get any runs from Martin but more importantly you don't get a partnership - you're losing 15-20 runs per innings there by not just having someone who has a competent defence. His fielding is also rubbish. That's not getting into any momentum shifts, because every team that bowls at NZ's late order will pick up some momentum when wickets 9 and 10 fall together quickly.

New Zealand are not blessed with lots of talent and they need to make every percentage point they can scrape together count. Martin is ****e, old and selecting him stinks of settling for sub-mediocrity. As people have been saying with Ponting, if you're losing anyway you may as well lose with something young who's gaining experience. Martin was never much good to start with.

Playing against Australia might just about be the one team New Zealand could get away with playing 4 bowlers against (when one of your 4 bowlers is Vettori who is generally a non-factor with the ball against other teams), but given there'll be a young and inconsistent seam attack it would be asking a lot even then. You lot may as well get used to 4 seamers + Vettori and hope the keeper can average 30-35. The keeper getting those runs will be crucial to the balance.

I'm surprised New Zealanders, given that they've just scraped past Zimbabwe only because their team had sweet FA through numbers 8-11, are so keen to undervalue the merits of batting in those positions and just accept Martin's abject ****eness.
OH-EM-GEEEEEE!

I agree with Scaly 100%.

:)

howardj

International Coach
My 1st Test team for Gabba

Katich
Warner
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Usman
Wade
Hauritz
Copeland
Harris
Cutting

Katich
I only want one of Katich, Hussey and Ponting (it’s finally time to rebuild – something we should have done properly two years ago). With Watson reverting to the middle order (see later reasoning), Katich gets the one ‘oldies spot’ over Hussey. Certainly since Katich was sidelined in Adelaide there's been massive fragility in our top order which has had an unsettling, cascading effect all the way through – with guys like Clarke being exposed to the new ball. Katich is the perfect man to groom his State teammate Warner and also warm the chair for Maddinson. The problem I have with Phil Hughes is that he gets far too many scores under 20. That’s fine if you’re a middle order player, but not as an opener where your early dismissal exposes the middle order.

Warner
He’s been called a basher, a slogger…but geez you can’t argue with a Shield average touching 60. Since being moved up to open his first class scores are:

Anyone bar Bradman would take that. Moreover, I love the idea of guys banging the door down to the Australian team with sheer weight of runs (like Hayden used to do). And that’s what Warner has done. Additionally, as Ian Chappell attests, he’s got one of the best techniques of the new brigade.

Marsh
Averaging more than 70 in the role, Marsh has earned a long run at number 3 (for which there are not many other applicants).

Watson
With Johnson out of sorts, Watson has been called on to bowl many more overs. What’s more, he’s a damn fine bowler. To give him some respite, I think it’s imperative to drop him down the order. Given Clarke’s poor record at four, I think Watson is the ideal man to assume this premier spot in the order.

Clarke
His knock against SA in the 1st Test was just awesome. His dual with Steyn was some of the best Test cricket I’ve seen. Clarke’s batting is more important to Australia than his captaincy. We need runs from him above all else. His record at number 5 is outstanding.

Usman
Averaging more than 50 in first-class cricket, he’s a real winner this guy – he graduated with honours at University, he’s a qualified pilot, and he’s also one of the few guys who chose County cricket over the IPL riches (which shows a commitment to improve his longer form game).

Wade
It’s so obvious that a declining 35 year old Haddin has got to go. Wade, with better FC class numbers than a currently sidelined Paine, is in the right place at the right time (and that’s often how keepers get their start).

Hauritz
Averages 30 in Australia, and keeps things tight. He’s the man to keep the seat warm until an exciting prospect emerges. O'Keefe if Hauritz is injured. Tough call on Lyon who still has plenty of time to develop, and I expect will come back strongly.

Harris
First bowler picked. I openly declare my man love for this bloke.

Copeland
I like the job he did in Sri Lanka, being part of our only win. He conceded just 2 runs per over, and allowed Clarke to bowl him for long spells and set a field.

Cutting
Averages 15 in Shield cricket this year (a man with performances on the board). This young man is rated very highly by good judges (such as myself haha). Good series to debut – versus New Zealand at his home ground.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Drop Brownlie, move Vettori up to six and play 4 seamers.
Even though I am not expecting much from Brownlie (he goes on the back foot too much) - I reckon we need him. Our openers are unreliable (now that McCullum chose not to perform against Zimbos.I can say that about both of them). If we had good openers then we could drop Brownlie.

Also I am not expecting big things from young Boult in his first game or two. He will need to adjust to bowling in test matches.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Inverarity said under his watch as head of selectors, they'd always pick the best side. I guess that will judged when Katich is either in or out of the side for Brisbane. If he's not a better option than Hughes, then I'm not here.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I find it very hard to believe Australia would drop Hussey. Whether Marsh is even considered fit is another issue since the first test starts in only 16 days.

I can see players like Usman and Warner wanting to make a big statement and doing well against us, so am hoping they are not in the XI. Whereas am hoping more established Australian players let their guard down a little.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Mike Hussey would have to have an arm amputated to not be playing in the First Test. There's just not a huge amount of options, really. Would probably rather see Usman play as an opener than at 6. But I'd also like to see Watson slide down, and I don't know if you can go with two new openers.

Flem274*

123/5
Apart from Katich and Clarke, I would love Howardj's side to take the field tbh.

I think you can change two players maximum, and have to show more faith in the rest. If Katich will never play again, Hughes is the next best bet for me. Would also back Ponting against our lot if the ball doesn't swing.

Question on Marsh: Is he a FC opener? Swore he opened in ODIs.

Hughes
Watson/Marsh
Watson/Marsh
Khawaja/Ponting
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Siddle
Harris
Copeland
Cummins

Not much point playing a spinner against us with Williamson, Taylor, Ryder and Vettori in the middle order. They're all quite happy against spin. The moving ball and pace would be the best bet. I would keep faith in Watson opening and Haddin keeping for now. There appears to be a shortage of opening options judging by reading what the Aussies say and Watson was quite a decent opener for a while. I don't know anything about Wade, but last innings aside Haddin is a decent keeper and can contribute with the bat.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
no we have more opening options. warner, usman and marsh could all open.meanwhile middle order batsmen to replace ponting include:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I don't see how playing five quicks (including Watson) is ever a sensible option when we have spinning options.
Yeah I agree. Without Watto I'd probably play four quicks a lot of the time but with him there it's just pretty needless. Expanding on that, I also think Watson's presence allows Australia to pick a more attacking spinner who could come into his own in the right conditions like Lyon, rather than having to worry too much about picking a spinner to employ a Day 1 holding role.