• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah mate, we're going to win.

Your tactic only makes me more miserable when we lose. I now prefer glorious hype followed by pretending the test didn't happen.

Wasn't the last time we played Australia in a test the same year Shane Bond debuted? And we never played a third test in India either.
So Australia haven't played New Zealand in your lifetime then. :ph34r:

Flem274*

123/5
We've got this in the bag guys. Dougeh's gonna Doug, and Haddin and Hussey won't resist wafting at Martin's ten feet outside off stump deliveries.

I tell you, Brisbane is ours.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Clearly our best chance is for swinging and seaming conditions, like last time in Oz. Our bowlers should be able to exploit that and if we are lucky Aus batting struggles will continue. Then we need McCullum, Guptill and Taylor to throw bat at ball and slog/edge us up to a lead (not like last time).... And then do it all again. I have my lucky numbers and will check how the Gabba groundsman is going with that lottery pitch.

If it's a flat pitch our batsmen will still get themselves out (or succumb to Johnson because he bowlz faast) and Australia will score 500. We are hopeless at trying to bat out draws.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
More talking about the last time you beat us. :ph34r:
Don't worry, we're giving your batting another serving of 21/9 when Southee rips through you.

Brisbane has already been invaded by kiwis; we're just sending the cricket team over to plant the flag and proclaim you conquered.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Hughes and Punter must be thinking, just 2 more innings, just 2 more innings and then home test matches against Chris Martin! TBF South Africans would be thinking the same as well; they got 3 test matches at home coming up against some kind of horrible seam attack.

Aus should debut Cummins here. NZ against genuine pace isn't pretty. Have visions of Guptil making nothing and McCullum being caught in the cordon walking out to a 95mph delivery.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Hughes and Punter must be thinking, just 2 more innings, just 2 more innings and then home test matches against Chris Martin!
He won't be. He's awful. Absolutely awful. Seriously, I'd rather Tim McIntosh. He'll be awful for fewer years to come than Hughes will.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Hughes and Punter must be thinking, just 2 more innings, just 2 more innings and then home test matches against Chris Martin! TBF South Africans would be thinking the same as well; they got 3 test matches at home coming up against some kind of horrible seam attack.

Aus should debut Cummins here. NZ against genuine pace isn't pretty. Have visions of Guptil making nothing and McCullum being caught in the cordon walking out to a 95mph delivery.
A fair few of the guys aren't that bad against pace though I reckon you're right about Guppy and Baz there...

This is probably one of the better against pace batting lineups we've had in a while.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
^ That's a good point, which NZ batsmen do you guys think will be particularly well suited to the Australian wickets?

In the past our stronger back-foot players like Andrew Jones have done well there. Ironically I think Jamie How is one of the naturally well suited to those conditions although after scoring a 150 in a warm-up game a couple of years back, he failed in the tests.

Williamson is an interesting one for me, because we know he has the best footwork in the team, but I'm not sure how he will go with the extra pace & bounce. Intuitively I feel Guptill & Ryder will be suited whilst Taylor maybe not so much. Thoughts?

Athlai

Not Terrible
^ That's a good point, which NZ batsmen do you guys think will be particularly well suited to the Australian wickets?

In the past our stronger back-foot players like Andrew Jones have done well there. Ironically I think Jamie How is one of the naturally well suited to those conditions although after scoring a 150 in a warm-up game a couple of years back, he failed in the tests.

Williamson is an interesting one for me, because we know he has the best footwork in the team, but I'm not sure how he will go with the extra pace & bounce. Intuitively I feel Guptill & Ryder will be suited whilst Taylor maybe not so much. Thoughts?
I reckon Ryder is the most suited, but I reckon Taylor has it in him to deal with them.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
No comprehendo? You mean you think Taylor has it in him to deal with it?

What about Williamson?
Taylor is pretty decent on tour and he did quite well the last time he was in Australia. I can't quite decide upon the likes of Guppy or Williamson. Guptill seems the sort of player who would like Australian conditions but as an opener he is going to deal with 10-15 difficult overs at the start of each innings which could see him completely fail. While Williamson is extremely gifted but doesn't go hard at the ball, which seems to be what most Australian cricketers do.

Flem274*

123/5
Ryder vs Mitch (if he plays) will be interesting. The cover drive is bread and butter for Jess, but Mitch preys on batsmen trying to smash him through the covers.

Williamson is an interesting one. He has a great backfoot game and there isn't a spinner in Australia who can hurt him, but he has only ever faced one world class bowler before and that was in India.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I saw on Stuff it will only be a 14 man squad for Australia, which makes sense. Squad to be named Wednesday, which gives those playing in the next domestic round starting Monday a couple more days to impress.

My squad: XI from Bulawayo, with Southee & Ryder replacing Patel and Watling. Plus McKay, Boult, Broom.

Fairly straightforward and conservative (even if two of the reserves haven't made their debuts). McKay would be the incumbent but for illness. Boult and Broom have performed well in domestic FC for a while now and are both contracted players, so must be there or there abouts.

Broom probably the most in danger of missing out if he doesn't score runs in the next round and How/Nicol/Franklin/Watling do. Flynn apparently out until late December. Milne I guess is a wildcard if the selectors feel like taking a risk. Mills = N. Aldridge = N.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I saw on Stuff it will only be a 14 man squad for Australia, which makes sense. Squad to be named Wednesday, which gives those playing in the next domestic round starting Monday a couple more days to impress.

My squad: XI from Bulawayo, with Southee & Ryder replacing Patel and Watling. Plus McKay, Boult, Broom.

Fairly straightforward and conservative (even if two of the reserves haven't made their debuts). McKay would be the incumbent but for illness. Boult and Broom have performed well in domestic FC for a while now and are both contracted players, so must be there or there abouts.

Broom probably the most in danger of missing out if he doesn't score runs in the next round and How/Nicol/Franklin/Watling do. Flynn apparently out until late December. Milne I guess is a wildcard if the selectors feel like taking a risk. Mills = N. Aldridge = N.
Mills = No?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No doubt. As much as I love him as a limited-overs player, there is about 10-12 guys ahead of him Test-wise.

Martin/Bracewell/McKay/Southee/Boult would be the guys I'd be taking to Australia, pace wise.