• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies in India

Who is a better option for India at No. 6 for the WI series?

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
He just had his action cleared in September from the ICC after 2008, i believe.

ICC clears Samuels' bowling action: Cricketnext

BBC SPORT | Cricket | International Teams | West Indies | Samuels issued with bowling ban

And he used to bend his elbow 27 degrees for a off spinner and 35 degrees for a quicker ball.
Now, I've had a look at the Gambhir dismissal again - that was the quicker ball (or whatever) I believe.

The action looks very very suspicious in that very delivery, especially if you have a close look at it in slow motion. He clearly threw it - now it's a separate debate how much throwing is legal and not.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The action looks very very suspicious in that very delivery, especially if you have a close look at it in slow motion. He clearly threw it - now it's a separate debate how much throwing is legal and not.
Not to mention the debate whereby the human eye cannot truly pick up throwing or not owing to the arm speed (hence bowlers can't be called for it any more)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Not to mention the debate whereby the human eye cannot truly pick up throwing or not owing to the arm speed (hence bowlers can't be called for it any more)
Yes, but human eye makes decisions about which bowlers need a bowling action test. Happy to be corrected if wrong, but isn't it the match referees' and umpires' reports from which ICC takes that decision?

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Also, Samuels' earlier action was breaking all rules - and he was barred from bowling in test matches. It's only after he has changed his action, that he's allowed to bowl again. Now, if he suddenly chucks in one or two deliveries in a match using his earlier action, who is going to catch that? Umpires and match referees, right?

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Easy win in the end, huh? Would have been good to see the guests put some more pressure. It's a formidable batting lineup that they're up against, despite their recent poor run. The first innings collapse was a shocker (esp. in home conditions) and a batting lineup of such calibre must take it very seriously.

Sehwag, Tendulkar and Laxman finding their touch again is not a good news for bowlers. Would be interesting to see how they develop over this series.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For me the best parts of the test match were, firstly the high class wicket keeping by the West Indian gloveman. Delightful and very sound technique.

The second was to see Ojha and Ashwin sharing 16 wickets between them, Hopefully some, at least some one hopes, Indian fans will see that over hyping a single player and never letting up even when he is clearly nowhere close to top class can actually be harmful for the team. Harbhajan should have been dropped much earlier than this but one should be grateful for small mercies.

Where are the spinners to replace him has been the refrain of those wrapped up in the fantasy of the "turbanator" and his immortal destructive powers even when to all but the really handicapped the writing was on the wall.

Well these two are not the greatest spinners the world has seen but for the time being they will do very well indeed :sleep:

Unfortunately we may now never think of using the really high class spinner who plays for us in almost every test match - Virender Sehwag. :(

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I propose we name them Oh Yeah! and AshWIN.

My post-game comments are always so insightful :ph34r:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I propose we name them Oh Yeah! and AshWIN.

My post-game comments are always so insightful :ph34r:
:laugh:

By the way do you know that Ojha is the word for an Indian tribal witch doctor and Ashwin is the name for the twin sons of Surya the Sun-God. May the sun continue to shine on India's cricket field and may the spinners keep bringing the devil out of soul-less wickets :-)

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
For me the best parts of the test match were, firstly the high class wicket keeping by the West Indian gloveman. Delightful and very sound technique.
From India's last tour to West Indies itself, I was very impressed with Carlton Baugh's keeping, and wanted to ask your views on him - but forgot somehow. Good to hear your positive remark on his keeping technique.

Who according to you is the best wicketkeeper in the world now - Prasanna Jayawardene or Carlton Baugh?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
From India's last tour to West Indies itself, I was very impressed with Carlton Baugh's keeping, and wanted to ask your views on him - but forgot somehow. Good to hear your positive remark on his keeping technique.

Who according to you is the best wicketkeeper in the world now - Prasanna Jayawardene or Carlton Baugh?
Thats a tough one. Haven't seen much of either. I am seeing the West Indian for the first time since I was traveling in Europe during India;s tours of West Indies and England. I have seen a bit of Jayawardene in matches against Pakistan. He looks very compact indeed. I would like to see more. But it is such a delight to see two young keepers with such lovely footwork and both stay very low which, trust me, makes keeping a very tiring exercise but its the key to being a top class keeper.

Of course there is another way to be a great keeper in the modern game, score centuries ;-)

Athlai

Not Terrible
Thats a tough one. Haven't seen much of either. I am seeing the West Indian for the first time since I was traveling in Europe during India;s tours of West Indies and England. I have seen a bit of Jayawardene in matches against Pakistan. He looks very compact indeed. I would like to see more. But it is such a delight to see two young keepers with such lovely footwork and both stay very low which, trust me, makes keeping a very tiring exercise but its the key to being a top class keeper.

Of course there is another way to be a great keeper in the modern game, score centuries ;-)
Baugh is 29 and Jayawardene 32 so both aren't exactly spring chickens when it comes to their cricket career.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I hope the 2nd test is as good as the 1st. The test matches recently have all been very good in their own way and make me bloody jealous there is no England game for ages.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
all non england supporters must be bloody relieved that they are not playing england! judging from the performances out there in the immediate past, their teams would be getting stuffed senseless.

Howe_zat

Audio File
all non england supporters must be bloody relieved that they are not playing england! judging from the performances out there in the immediate past, their teams would be getting stuffed senseless.
The England fan's ego is a tempremental thing, the nuturing is much appreciated.