• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

Tricia McMillan

U19 Captain
It is set up for an interesting finish. We declared at the right time; we gave ourselves plenty of runs and time to close out the match. It'll be interesting to see how Zimbabwe approach things tomorrow. Will they play for the draw? Or will they come out swinging to try and win it (which would probably backfire against our bowlers)?

Either way, I'm excited for the fifth day of a test match for the first time in a while.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
It is set up for an interesting finish. We declared at the right time; we gave ourselves plenty of runs and time to close out the match. It'll be interesting to see how Zimbabwe approach things tomorrow. Will they play for the draw? Or will they come out swinging to try and win it (which would probably backfire against our bowlers)?

Either way, I'm excited for the fifth day of a test match for the first time in a while.
I think they'll just bat normally for the first session (at least) and see where that takes them. 305 in a day will not require them to "come out swinging" at any stage really; if they bat normally and don't lose wickets they'll win. It'll only be a draw if they lose a regular wickets and go into full-on defense.

That said, a NZ win is still the overwhelming favourite.

Mike5181

International Captain
And this, friends, is why we don't kneejerk and call him all sorts of hurtful names after one innings. Super lil knock

Think BJ Watling is going near booking himself a spot in the wilderness, however.
He got dropped on like 14.

Yeah, BJ Watling will find it hard to push his way into the side again now. Dean Brownlie looked fairly useful in the first innings as well which was a positive.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I think they'll just bat normally for the first session (at least) and see where that takes them. 305 in a day will not require them to "come out swinging" at any stage really; if they bat normally and don't lose wickets they'll win. It'll only be a draw if they lose a regular wickets and go into full-on defense.

That said, a NZ win is still the overwhelming favourite.
pews stop imagining things that aren't going to happen :p

zimb WILL NOT win, even if they lose just 2 wickets in the first 2 sessions.

Flem274*

123/5
Is what I'm hearing about Vusi true? What are his reasons if so? Sounds like a complete waste of a batsman to me. Extremely disappointing.

Flem274*

123/5
Oh, thank goodness for that. Was under the impression he retired to pursue Grade Cricket. Would have been a waste.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Zimbabwe could pretty easily win if just one of Taylor/Taibu tons up. If they tonned up they'd do it at a decent enough SR to negotiate the 3 an over they need.

That said a ton on the 5th day isn't exactly something that is a particularly likely occurrence.

BeeGee

International Captain
Zimbabwe could pretty easily win if just one of Taylor/Taibu tons up. If they tonned up they'd do it at a decent enough SR to negotiate the 3 an over they need.

That said a ton on the 5th day isn't exactly something that is a particularly likely occurrence.
... and don't forget Waller. He's in pretty good form at the moment.

... and if Vettori doesn't turn up in the second innings (and he usually doesn't), NZ's bowling attack is piss weak.

A Zimbabwe win, while not likely, is not out of the question.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
... and don't forget Waller. He's in pretty good form at the moment.

... and if Vettori doesn't turn up in the second innings (and he usually doesn't), NZ's bowling attack is piss weak.

A Zimbabwe win, while not likely, is not out of the question.
That's just being too kind. A win is out of the equation. Zim just don't have what it takes to maintain 3 an over without losing wickets.
As a Zimbo the best I can hope for is a draw, a win will be nice, but impossible at this stage

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Hmmmmm... I'd give Zimbabwe a bit better chance than that:

NZ win 60%
Draw 35%
Zim win 5%
NZ win 87.8%
Draw 8.8%
Zim win 3.4%

TBH.

Can't wait until Cremer gets into the Zim Test team. Obviously he'll be picked for his bowling, but his batting is going to boost the lower order immensely. At the moment Zim definitely have the worst 8-11 in the Test world.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
NZ win 87.8%
Draw 8.8%
Zim win 3.4%

TBH.

Can't wait until Cremer gets into the Zim Test team. Obviously he'll be picked for his bowling, but his batting is going to boost the lower order immensely. At the moment Zim definitely have the worst 8-11 in the Test world.
Yeah, doesn't help having 4 Chris Martins batting from 8-11.
200/6 is as good as
203/10.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
That's just being too kind. A win is out of the equation. Zim just don't have what it takes to maintain 3 an over without losing wickets.
As a Zimbo the best I can hope for is a draw, a win will be nice, but impossible at this stage
The anti jinx is in.

Century maker doing the opposite for NZ.