• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* England in India

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England were better than India when we toured and deserved to win! but they are not a better ODI side, and have not proved that they are a better Test Side than us outside England! They will have to try and beat us next year to do that, and that will be a tall order for them.

England have decent ODI results at home but struggle abroad.

I think you missed Morgan big time also Bopara always feels liek he is playing for his place but he is an outstanding player, Finn looks to have some pace time will tell if he actually converts his promise or just fades a bit like Harmison did.
We have clearly proved we are a better test side away by comprehensively thrashing Australia. When was the last time you won a series there?

One day cricket, yes India are better than us anywhere but in England. If a world cup was starting next year in England we would be one of the favourites, anywhere else we are also rans. All England fans accept this (apart from the odd exception) and want us to improve but that isn't going to happen overnight in much the same way that becoming the best test side didn't happen overnight.

Kohli_fan

Banned
We have clearly proved we are a better test side away by comprehensively thrashing Australia. When was the last time you won a series there?

One day cricket, yes India are better than us anywhere but in England. If a world cup was starting next year in England we would be one of the favourites, anywhere else we are also rans. All England fans accept this (apart from the odd exception) and want us to improve but that isn't going to happen overnight in much the same way that becoming the best test side didn't happen overnight.
Yes you beat a Australia side which arent what they used to be last time you played Australia in Australia you lost 5-0 we havent played Australia over there since 2008 when they were still a formidable team! But I expect us to give them a good series this winter and hopefully beat them.

While I think you have a better chance of beating India in an ODI in England I do not think you would be favourites to beat us even there!

Look at the ODI series in England we missed a lot of key players and the games were all DL affected and very tight either way, hard to read much into such a series plus there was a tie.

flibbertyjibber

Yes you beat a Australia side which arent what they used to be last time you played Australia in Australia you lost 5-0 we havent played Australia over there since 2008 when they were still a formidable team! But I expect us to give them a good series this winter and hopefully beat them.

While I think you have a better chance of beating India in an ODI in England I do not think you would be favourites to beat us even there!

Look at the ODI series in England we missed a lot of key players and the games were all DL affected and very tight either way, hard to read much into such a series plus there was a tie.
You struggled to beat the same weak Aussie side in India and would have lost had it not been for a Laxman masterclass. What makes you think your popgun attack will get 20 wickets over there?

amanuensis

U19 12th Man

One series against a shambolic Australian side? That hardly proves anything - England are strong at home, but a decidedly mixed bag away. When did they last win a series anywhere in the subcontinent except Bangladesh?

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

One series against a shambolic Australian side? That hardly proves anything - England are strong at home, but a decidedly mixed bag away. When did they last win a series anywhere in the subcontinent except Bangladesh?
Wait a few months and ask again.:laugh:

When was the last time India beat anybody decent away?

Kohli_fan

Banned
You struggled to beat the same weak Aussie side in India and would have lost had it not been for a Laxman masterclass. What makes you think your popgun attack will get 20 wickets over there?
We did not play to our best in that series but Australia were really motivated to win again in India!

The Boarder Gavaskar Trophy tends to bring the best out of them Matthew Hayden and Steve Waugh have said it means more to them than the Ashes.

Taking 20 wickets in Australia will be tough although if Zak is back along with Varun and now Yadav I think we have a great chance.

Also I don't rate their bowling much chance of taking 20 of our wickets.

flibbertyjibber

We did not play to our best in that series but Australia were really motivated to win again in India!

The Boarder Gavaskar Trophy tends to bring the best out of them Matthew Hayden and Steve Waugh have said it means more to them than the Ashes.

Taking 20 wickets in Australia will be tough although if Zak is back along with Varun and now Yadav I think we have a great chance.

Also I don't rate their bowling much chance of taking 20 of our wickets.
All sides are motivated for every series or should be. No other reason to play cricket otherwise.

I didn't see Hayden or Waugh on the park in that series, must have missed them. I think you will find that now England are a better side all Australians will see regaining the ashes as their top priority not India.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Another miss by Kieswetter, I see.
Good job he's averaging 50 with the bat at a run a ball :ph34r:

If the one good thing to come out of this tour is that he gets sent back to Somerset to learn how to play the game, then maybe this has been worth it. Especially if Dernbach is binned as well.

EDIT
I've just seen that KP's been rested for today's game, despite being our best batsman by some distance in the series. You couldn't make it up.

Last edited:

MichelleFivefer

Cricket Spectator

When will the World Cup next be staged in England?

Kohli_fan

Banned
All sides are motivated for every series or should be. No other reason to play cricket otherwise.

I didn't see Hayden or Waugh on the park in that series, must have missed them. I think you will find that now England are a better side all Australians will see regaining the ashes as their top priority not India.
I am sure winning the ashes again is important to Australia but winning a series in India in tests is one of the hardest things to achieve in sport Australia know that and that to them along with regaining the boarder gavaskar trophy would carry as much importance as regaining the ashes.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Damn Gambhir plays on again!!

It has been a pretty good start on a double paced wicket though.

amanuensis

U19 12th Man
If Australia did then England will. Have you not seen their shambolic team lately?

If we don't win both test series this winter I will be very surprised.
I can't see Sri Lanka's batsmen being evenly remotely concerned about England's bowlers on home soil, though their bowlers will also struggle. Factor in the length of the series & you're realistically looking at a draw.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well bowled Finn - one of the few guys to enhance his reputation on the tour.

EDIT

Last edited:

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I am sure winning the ashes again is important to Australia but winning a series in India in tests is one of the hardest things to achieve in sport Australia know that and that to them along with regaining the boarder gavaskar trophy would carry as much importance as regaining the ashes.
That may have been the case in recent times when winning in Australia was one of the few things left to tick off the list. But now England are the best Test side and the rivalry and history is bigger with Australia and England than Australia and India.