• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Barring injuries (get well soon timmeh), I can't see any other bowling combo than Southee, Martin and McKay, which is fair enough. McKay and Martin were the two best performing seamers in last years Plunket Shield (ignoring Wagner, as we must for the next 5 or 6 months), both swing the ball and both have a decent dollop of experience. Boult, presuming that he can get fit, will be the left armer backup for McKay. Bracewell has yet to prove himself as an effective wicket taker in FC cricket, and I imagine Bennett (again, presuming that his back doesn't crap out) will also be floating about in the selector's minds.
If Bennet plays I will scream. Even if he doesn't break down. Which he will. He will be ineffective. His pace does not frighten anyone at this level.

On McKay - he seems to have added an off cutter to his repertoire. You can see him rolling his fingers over the ball.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
We should win comfortably. Brissy and Hobart aren't bad conditions for the Kiwis, but I'd be surprised if we don't win both tests.

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
@Morgie - I am willing to have a bet with you that it won't be 2-0 provided Ryder plays.
Deal.

Think I'll be OK so as long as the weather doesn't hit. If 1 day is heavily hit by weather, the deal is off, like if Ryder doesn't play.

Mike5181

International Captain
This is the best top six we have had in a few years. It's Mckay, Martin etc in the bowling attack that will hurt us. We will be a much better team in twelve months when Wagner is eligible and Boult has a bit more experience IMO.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Deal.

Think I'll be OK so as long as the weather doesn't hit. If 1 day is heavily hit by weather, the deal is off, like if Ryder doesn't play.
Fine - shall will say that if we lose 2 sessions in the day to weather the deal is off. Duration of bet is for 2 weeks...

Cheers

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
This is the best top six we have had in a few years. It's Mckay, Martin etc in the bowling attack that will hurt us. We will be a much better team in twelve months when Wagner is eligible and Boult has a bit more experience IMO.
Willing to bet that neither Wagner nor Boult will take as many test wickets as Martin has (in Wagner's case, I don't think he'll even manage half of Martin's haul).

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bahnz wants Wagner to 'show him the money' a few more times - based on previous posts he has made.

I don't think Wagner will be a good ODI bowler based on watching him in a few 20 20s but hopefully he will be good in the longest format.

Also I don't think it is fair to compare against Martin - he has been a warrior for NZ. Should compare against Morrison or someone else who was useful.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Not a fan?
Not really no. He's not particularly quick, and he tends to spray it around. He swings it a fair amount, but not so much that he'll consistently cause problems for quality batsmen. But I haven't really seen enough of him to make a formal judgement, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Howsie

International Captain
He's not particularly quick, and he tends to spray it around. He swings it a fair amount, but not so much that he'll consistently cause problems for quality batsmen.
Funnily enough that basically sums up Andy McKay, except he's gun barrel for the most part.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
**** it. NZ to win the rugby world cup series. Probably 2-0 in fact.

Every NZ player to play out of their skins. Chris Martin to bowl 145km/h in Brisbane and rip through helpless Australia. Reece Young to stroke a 'delightful' century. Kane Williamson to spin us to victory in Hobart.

One month avatar bet. Who's up for the guillotine?

Flem274*

123/5
Which prospect(s) do you rate? Boult?
Northern Districts.:p

**** it. NZ to win the rugby world cup series. Probably 2-0 in fact.

Every NZ player to play out of their skins. Chris Martin to bowl 145km/h in Brisbane and rip through helpless Australia. Reece Young to stroke a 'delightful' century. Kane Williamson to spin us to victory in Hobart.

One month avatar bet. Who's up for the guillotine?
I'm probably the only person who would find a Reece Young hundred awesome.

Flem274*

123/5
Should definitely be in contention if Williamson flops and Young fails with the gloves.:cool:

The only other player who remotely deserves to bat at three is Sinclair. Watling is not a valid suggestion btw.