• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

Mike5181

International Captain
That is a pretty awesome photo. It's good to see Nicol is still in and hopefully reaches his century on debut.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm disgusted we'd pick a guy who bowls in the high 130s, hits the deck hard, swings it away and can clear the boundaries with the bat. Those sort of guys never make it.

I'm picking you'd rather go for a domestic plodder whose numbers look good..someone like Arnel. Or maybe Roneel Hira - he bowled reasonable seamers in the CL.
Well tbh, if a player doesn't have good domestic figures, they're unlikely to get good international ones until they're better players. Bracewell has started well here, and I completely disagree with TH's assessment of his performance last night, but I'll be waiting for a few games before deciding whether Bracewell is the exception to the rule.

Brent Arnel was definitely a better bowler than Bracewell as of the end of last season. After the emerging players tour success and subsequent Zimbabwe success, I'm not sure whether we're looking at an improvement in Bracewell's bowling or just a form blip, but just because Bracewell has better assets than Arnel it doesn't mean his application of them is good enough to make him better than what Arnel manages with his limited assets.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Well tbh, if a player doesn't have good domestic figures, they're unlikely to get good international ones until they're better players. Bracewell has started well here, and I completely disagree with TH's assessment of his performance last night, but I'll be waiting for a few games before deciding whether Bracewell is the exception to the rule.

Brent Arnel was definitely a better bowler than Bracewell as of the end of last season. After the emerging players tour success and subsequent Zimbabwe success, I'm not sure whether we're looking at an improvement in Bracewell's bowling or just a form blip, but just because Bracewell has better assets than Arnel it doesn't mean his application of them is good enough to make him better than what Arnel manages with his limited assets.
Problem is people tend to look at a player's overall domestic figures, not how he has fared most recently. Bracewell is a reasonable example - his list A bowling average is 31, but it was 27 last summer. I'm sure there's better examples, Bennett is one that springs to mind whose early career was absolutely awful and it was hard to atone for them.

The other issue is if given the right environment (coaches, players around him, all the things that go into performance) does that player have the necessary tools to be an international player. I would say Bracewell has those over Arnel as an example, and has periods of form to back it up, therefore was picked.

A good example of someone I can think of off the top of my head is Michael Vaughan. He had a terrible FC average of something like 25 when he was picked for England. But good judges saw something in him, saw something in his decent scores that would translate. And they were proven right.

Selectors see and hear a lot more than Joe Public. We'd get a lot different sides thrown up if they were strictly based on averages, and I guarantee those sides wouldn't outperform the ones picked.

Anyway, point stands on Bracewell. To say he 'stunk' last night is laughable. It smacked of someone looking at a scorecard.

Howsie

International Captain
I honestly don't believe people here realise just how much Doug Bracewell has improved as a bowler since making his first class debut for Central Districts and why looking at his overall record bowling record is such a waste of time, the guy was as pop gun as you come at that level, mid 120 military medium stuff at best. I assumed at the time he must of been a batting all rounder because his bowling just looked so toothless - plus he scored 50 on List A debut opening the batting.

Check the scorecards of New Zealand's Under 19 tour of England in 2008, a few months before Bracewell made his first class debut. He was batting in the middle to lower order and bowling second or third change at times, behind the likes of Jimmy Neesham, Greg Morgan and Harry Boam, that in itself should probably tell you where his bowling was at the time.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
That's the point I'm making. Plus the Emerging Players tournament is clearly seen as a selection tool, and he did well. Picked.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
His, Bracewell's action doesn't seem as fluent as compared to that champions league game some time ago. I used to think it was the best thing since sliced bread.

On another note - the newspaper said nz is likely to shuffle the batting order to give everyone a bat. I don't know how I feel about that. Would prefer we kept up the minnow bashing on one hand. On the other hand the other players will probably do well.

Anyways well done NZ - we lost to Bangers not long ago - I will take this win.

Mike5181

International Captain
Ross Taylor just wants to win more comfortably because he is captain. It's quite lazy tbh. There was an opportunity to get some runs behind himself, Williamson etc. I see Ryder is probably injured again as well.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Ross Taylor just wants to win more comfortably because he is captain. It's quite lazy tbh. There was an opportunity to get some runs behind himself, Williamson etc. I see Ryder is probably injured again as well.
Na it isn't the worst idea testing these bowlers a bit before the Test series. The more overs Aldo, McKay and Bracewell get when the match isn't already over is for the best.