• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Two international bowlers and batsmen against whom you would love to play.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
Bat against: Shane Bond, Shane Warne
Bowl against: Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting
I started taking fast bowling seriously after watching Shane Bond bowl,
i wish he was still playing:(, such a fantastic bowler, he missed out a lot of matches due to injuries and then because of joining ICL. He would have been up there with Lee and Mcgrath and all other bowling greats of the modern era if he would have had a full career.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Bat against: Shane Bond, Shane Warne
Bowl against: Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting
I don't really understand this, unless you are playing premier grade club cricket you will get hurt by shane bond and possibly sent to the hospital.

Same thing with Garner - Imran and so forth. You fellows must be very good cricketers.

I personally would not agree to face Chris Martin. He would hurt me. I would probably go out against Tuffey though at 120kms I have faced that speed before.

karan316

State Vice-Captain
I don't really understand this, unless you are playing premier grade club cricket you will get hurt by shane bond and possibly sent to the hospital.

Same thing with Garner - Imran and so forth. You fellows must be very good cricketers.

I personally would not agree to face Chris Martin. He would hurt me. I would probably go out against Tuffey though at 120kms I have faced that speed before.
Maybe we can request them to bowl away from the body:D

smash84

The Tiger King

I have faced a lot of EXTREMELY quick bowlers in pak street cricket. Agreed that it is with a tape ball and not the cricket ball but a number of them would be 90mph.

cnerd123

likes this
90 MPH tape ball bowlers?

Screw the pace, the ball would be swinging miles at that speed. I don't think it's actually possible to bowl that fast with tape ball...try chucking it in the air as fast as you can, it hits terminal velocity and 'hangs' in the air after a certain speed. It'll need to be a heavy tape ball to actually get it down to the other end at 90 MPH.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I have faced a lot of EXTREMELY quick bowlers in pak street cricket. Agreed that it is with a tape ball and not the cricket ball but a number of them would be 90mph.
I think this is a tall story.

Unless your tape ball games have people good enough to play FC in them.

smash84

The Tiger King
lol tbh I didn't measure the speed myself but some of the guys that I played with ended up playing first class cricket (and I am assuming that they could at least bowl 80 mph with the hard ball). With the tennis ball (heavily taped) I am sure they can push 10mph more.

At any rate they were so damn quick that you the ball was a blur so it must be 90 mph :p

smash84

The Tiger King
tbh even some of the 90 mph bowlers don't deserve to play club cricket. They are too expensive even for tape ball cricket e.g. Sami

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
lol tbh I didn't measure the speed myself but some of the guys that I played with ended up playing first class cricket (and I am assuming that they could at least bowl 80 mph with the hard ball). With the tennis ball (heavily taped) I am sure they can push 10mph more.

At any rate they were so damn quick that you the ball was a blur so it must be 90 mph :p
Mate, at 90mph you barely even see the ball. :p

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Daemon is right. Sami would have a bowling strike rate of about 10 in club cricket.

It may seem a joke to some, but I would go on to say that bowlers like Sami and Tait might be more potent forces at club level than the likes of McGrath.
Agreed and to back this up two quotes

1) shane bond when playing in a low level club grade in the UK during an OE said he just bowled bouncers and yorkers and admitted that he was lethal at that level. So raw speed and aggression works.

2) Hadlee went up against some club cricketers once and apparently he couldn't take a wicket they kept missing his leg cutters. Clive Rice at the other end had 4 wickets and walked up to Paddles and said just bowl badly Richard. So Hadlee started bowling full tosses and half volleys and finally got two guys caught in the covers. So Samis bad balls would probably get wickets at club level.

timet

Cricket Spectator
Agreed and to back this up two quotes

1) shane bond when playing in a low level club grade in the UK during an OE said he just bowled bouncers and yorkers and admitted that he was lethal at that level. So raw speed and aggression works.

2) Hadlee went up against some club cricketers once and apparently he couldn't take a wicket they kept missing his leg cutters. Clive Rice at the other end had 4 wickets and walked up to Paddles and said just bowl badly Richard. So Hadlee started bowling full tosses and half volleys and finally got two guys caught in the covers. So Samis bad balls would probably get wickets at club level.
The gulf between top level cricket and club cricket is indeed huge.

An example is Shane Watson (before he became a decent international cricketer). In his final Tasmanian club game, he scored a triple century, and then took 7-29.

smash84

The Tiger King
just see Sami getting smashed in Pakistan's first class tournament recently to get an idea of how bad the guy really is. And Pakistan probably has the worst batsmen of all test nations