• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Guy only plays 3 first class games and he's in the Test squad. And I thought they'd made a radical move when they picked Warner.

Spark

Global Moderator
well it's handy experience, but...

what?!

well, i guess they weren't kidding when they handed him a contract...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Cummins is clearly a very special cricketer and for that reason I wouldn't have been completely against picking him in the Test squad based on very little Shield experience if he'd come into it with a bang and taken a stack of wickets in his three games, but 9 @ 45+ in them just makes it a little too unjustified for mine.

Again it's just sending the same message back to domestic cricketers that developing a style and a technique that makes you look like you should be doing well in four-day cricket is of much more importance than developing one that actually gives you four-day success, fashionably or not. And we wonder why players like Tim Paine, Callum Ferguson and Shaun Marsh exist.

Spark

Global Moderator
Cummins is clearly a very special cricketer and for that reason I wouldn't have been completely against picking him in the Test squad based on very little Shield experience if he'd come into it with a bang and taken a stack of wickets in his three games, but 9 @ 45+ in them just makes it a little too unjustified for mine.

Again it's just sending the same message back to domestic cricketers that developing a style and a technique that makes you look like you should be doing well in four-day cricket is of much more importance than developing one that actually gives you four-day success, fashionably or not. And we wonder why players like Tim Paine, Callum Ferguson and Shaun Marsh exist.
(y)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Guy only plays 3 first class games and he's in the Test squad. And I thought they'd made a radical move when they picked Warner.
Just trying to deny NSW all our young guns to give the other States a chance at domestic level.

Spark

Global Moderator
tbf he did look bloody good in the Shield final and was very unlucky not to end up with more wickets (dropped catches and plumb lbw's not given iirc)

Top_Cat

All of the examples you've given aren't quick bowlers. It's a different process.

He's young, super quick, accurate, obviously possessed of a decent cricketing brain and has taken a few wickets against SA. Be crazy not to have him around the squad. Picked in the Test team tomorrow, I'd back Cummins to be more likely to take wickets than Faulkner, Maher, et al. Some guys you pick first and ask question later, in my view.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
All of the examples you've given aren't quick bowlers. It's a different process.

He's young, super quick, accurate, obviously possessed of a decent cricketing brain and has taken a few wickets against SA. Be crazy not to have him around the squad. Picked in the Test team tomorrow, I'd back Cummins to be more likely to take wickets than Faulkner, Maher, et al. Some guys you pick first and ask question later, in my view.
As I said, I agree that he's special enough to pick on a very small sample size of good performance. If he'd taken 15 wickets in his three Shield games @ 20 it'd be an entirely different thing. We've picked him on absolutely no performance though, which is really a bridge too far IMO.

Spark

Global Moderator
We can't just be thinking of him as just "getting experience", though. So long as Harris is in the squad, he's a chance to play.

Top_Cat

As I said, I agree that he's special enough to pick on a very small sample size of good performance. If he'd taken 15 wickets in his three Shield games @ 20 it'd be an entirely different thing. We've picked him on absolutely no performance though, which is really a bridge too far IMO.
For the XI, it's maybe a bit iffy. For the squad, pick him. Fairly clear for mine.

We can't just be thinking of him as just "getting experience", though. So long as Harris is in the squad, he's a chance to play.
I'm more comfortable with that than how the Saffers have looked at the business-end of his bowling, tbh. Little signs like that go beyond numbers.

Like I said, it's different for quicks. Lee got picked later but that was because of injury. Had he been fit, he's have been picked for OZ at a similar age. Ditto Gillespie.

Last edited: