• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in Zimbabwe

vandem

International 12th Man
Mills and Styris too in ODIs - from memory both were poor for quite a while before they began to perform...
Mills, incorrect.

MoM performance in his 2nd game, knocked the top off the SL chase and finished with 10-2-30-3. Match here: 6th Match: New Zealand v Sri Lanka at Sharjah, Apr 17, 2001 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Was not always selected over the next two seasons as he had to battle for 3rd seamer spot with Tuffey / Adams / Oram (behind Bond and Cairns), but was successful when he played. His next 3 good series were in SL, SL and back home vs India, 14 games with 18 wickets with avge 23 at 3.9 rpo (although the pitches were a little "fresh" for the Indian games). Was kept out of the top XI for the following WC in Sth Africa as a resurgent Andre Adams joined Bond and Cairns as the fast bowlers.

Then IIRC from 2004 he was always part of the best XI whenever fit. Has had occasional problems with late order hitters (Pollock, Razzaq etc), but Reliance ODI player rankings show that he hasn't had a severe form dip at any time in his career, just a gradual decline since 2010 as he has missed games through injury: Reliance ICC Player Rankings

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can he truly bowl in the 140s - what game is this based on?
When Milne was getting through between 144-146 for CD in the CL last year, I seem to recall Bracewell was hitting the140-142 mark, I stand to be corrected

Howe_zat

Audio File
Good to see Meth is back, presumably with a few new teeth. He's just scored 43 (37) and taken 4-41 in a 50 over game.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Stuff with the inside word as always. Does anyone else think Brownlie is just a little too Aussie? Feels a little strange tbh.

My general thoughts are that the best option for the next 3-4 years until Vettori retires would be Vettori, Young (or other keeper who can bat) and a bowling allrounder to fill 6,7,8 in test lineup. IMO Southee will improve into a decent number 9 bat and whoever replaces Martin will inevitably be a slightly better bat too, so the tail should be ok.

Ok with a pure batsman at six for the moment if they don't think Bracewell or Mills would offer enough at present though.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
With talk of us being demoted into a 2nd tier of cricket - I don't really mind 1 or 2 such players in the mix. As long as we improve.

turnstyle

First Class Debutant
Played all my junior cricket with Browners in Perth. Remember his old man had a cool car so made sure i got a lift with him to training. **** taste in music though.

Good bloke on and off the pitch. Can't see him smashing too many windows :ph34r:

Edit - just noticed that article listed him as a LHB. Lolz for fact checking.

Last edited:

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Pity the rumoured warm up ODIs in Kenya never materialized. Would have been a massive boon for us.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
Is Gary Ballance gone for good to England? Or is there a chance that he would represent Zimbabwe in the near future? Looks to be a good player.

Nigel Benjamin

U19 12th Man
Is Gary Ballance gone for good to England? Or is there a chance that he would represent Zimbabwe in the near future? Looks to be a good player.
he said he's ready to play for England as he now qualifies to do so. I don't see him playing for England any time soon with Cook, Trott, Bell, KP and Morgan set to play for the next five or so years and in the event of injury to any one of these players, Bopara, James Taylor etc should be chosen as replacements. I guess if he realises that his chances of playing for England are between nil and zero he should return to Zimbabwe and replace idiots like Chibaba.

In other news, another Zimbo who was playing England, Glen Querl is back in Zim playing for the Mat Tuskers. Hope Cameron comes back too.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
he said he's ready to play for England as he now qualifies to do so. I don't see him playing for England any time soon with Cook, Trott, Bell, KP and Morgan set to play for the next five or so years and in the event of injury to any one of these players, Bopara, James Taylor etc should be chosen as replacements. I guess if he realises that his chances of playing for England are between nil and zero he should return to Zimbabwe and replace idiots like Chibaba.

In other news, another Zimbo who was playing England, Glen Querl is back in Zim playing for the Mat Tuskers. Hope Cameron comes back too.
Yeah, Zimbabwe will be closer to a gun team if they all come back. But since the England selectors seem to favour those who qualify for England over those who are primarily English, he can expect to get 2-3 chances atleast in the English colours.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes Ballance had a pretty good season for Yorkshire last season and was one of the few positives to come out of their batting (along with fellow youngsters Bairstow and Root). He made just over 700 runs at over 42, so the signs are promising. As for his England aspirations, he wasn't named in any of the performance squads for this winter, so there is plenty ahead of him, currently, it seems.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Damn, won the toss and fielded, I'd much prefer us to bat first against Zim