• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better ODI bowler::: McGrath or Wasim

Who is better ODI bowler? Only pure bowling.

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Ah, didn't you guys know that Wasim's deliveries, after taking the edge of the bat, would swing like being attacked by a typhoon just before reaching the catcher :p
The answer below is better

The ball coming to the fieldsman faster as he bowled faster and the movement that Akram got with ball and his lesser accuracy meaning that it is harder to predict the areas where the ball will end up. Catches off Akram could also be lower to the ground as he got less bounce. And so on. I can think of numerous reason why more catches would be dropped of one bowler over another aside from the actual talent of the catchers. :smartass:

BlazeDragon

Banned
rubbish point Wasim bowled with bowlers of similar quality as Mcgrath did.
Let me get this straight, Wasim Akram gets points due to the Aussie fielding being more successful and yet he doesn't get points taken away for the bowling being more successful?

Some hypocritical logic going around this place.

joker4life

Cricket Spectator
Wasim had more variety to his bowling while Mcgrath was much more accurate.. I would take wasim in ODI though.. but McGrath in test..

BlazeDragon

Banned
what?

doesn't make sense.

are you saying that Mcgrath had better counterparts competing for wickets?
Yes I am. These are the team's bowling stats for the portion of their career that Mcgrath and Wasim played together.
Bowling records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

If I get a statistics doesn't matter response I won't be able to hold myself back from a face/palm.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Yes I am. These are the team's bowling stats for the portion of their career that Mcgrath and Wasim played together.

If I get a statistics doesn't matter response I won't be able to hold myself back from a face/palm.
Ummm those are incorrect stats. Least you can do is post the correct stats when that is all you have to prove your point.

SR of Pakistani bowlers during the period = 39.2, SR of Aussie bowlers = 39.7

Pakistani bowlers took 29 5ers, Aussie bowlers took 17. But yes, we have to use the stats provided by you to know that the Quality of wicket taking bowlers in Australia was better than the Pakistanis during that period. We have to just ignore common sense and what we saw just use stats and in this case incorrect stats.

Last edited:

BlazeDragon

Banned
Ummm those are incorrect stats. Least you can do is post the correct stats when that is all you have to prove your point.

How are they incorrect stats if you wouldn't mind explaining? The link you posted uses the same criteria as mine so at least know what you are talking about.

SR of Pakistani bowlers during the period = 39.2, SR of Aussie bowlers = 39.7
I love this you keep ranting about how I provide manipulative stats to benefit my argument and yet you use strike rate to determine better bowlers :laugh:. Really now how about I just use economy rate to prove the better bowlers then.

Pakistani bowlers took 29 5ers, Aussie bowlers took 17. But yes, we have to use the stats provided by you to know that the Quality of wicket taking bowlers in Australia was better than the Pakistanis during that period. We have to just ignore common sense and what we saw just use stats and in this case incorrect stats.
:lol:

Your right we should use who had more 5fers to determine better bowlers. I might as well throw in who went wicketless more matches next.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
wasim akram was at best a very good bowler. never a great.

if that is what you two want to hear then there i have said it. now take all junk posts to pakpassion. start/continue this discussion over there.

BlazeDragon

Banned
wasim akram was at best a very good bowler. never a great.

if that is what you two want to hear then there i have said it. now take all junk posts to pakpassion. start/continue this discussion over there.
I never said that. He is an all time great no doubt about that. Just because we don't place him in the top teir doesn't mean we are denying his greatness.

And judging by the name of that site a "Wasim Akram is a greatest bolwer" thread sounds like its gonna be quite popular there.

Darth018

Banned
Some of you guys act like you have to rate someone as the very best or otherwise you are downgrading him.

Wasim Akram was a mighty fine bowler in fact one of the top 10 of all time arguably. I just find it annoying when people rate him the very best which he is far from just like I find it annoying when people rate Tendulkar as the very best. Though in all fairness Tendulkar is a top 5.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Some of you guys act like you have to rate someone as the very best or otherwise you are downgrading him.

Wasim Akram was a mighty fine bowler in fact one of the top 10 of all time arguably. I just find it annoying when people rate him the very best which he is far from just like I find it annoying when people rate Tendulkar as the very best. Though in all fairness Tendulkar is a top 5.
people don't do that on this forum!!!

most people rate mcgrath higher than wasim in tests. (the majority rate tendulkar from 3rd to 5th)

but when someone comes out of the blue and says wasim is not even in the class of McGrath then you can expect a strong reaction.