• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

pup11

International Coach
Advantage Sri Lanka, but not by that much. Everything depends on tommorow.
I think Lankans have their noses ahead given the flat nature of this surface, so therefore a lot depends on how well the lower comes out and supports Hussey tomorrow, if Haddin and Johnson bat upto their batting potential then we are still a chance of scoring 400, though I still don't like the fact that Hussey despite being in such great form is stuck with the job of shepherding the lower order.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think Lankans have their noses ahead given the flat nature of this surface, so therefore a lot depends on how well the lower comes out and supports Hussey tomorrow, if Haddin and Johnson bat upto their batting potential then we are still a chance of scoring 400, though I still don't like the fact that Hussey despite being in such great form is stuck with the job of shepherding the lower order.
Despite the fact he's good at it?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I shudder to think what's gonna happen when we face SA. Just hoping that for some miraculous reason our batsmen will rise to the occasion.
Our batsmen need to realiise it's no longer 1999-2007. There is no longer the depth in any of our given line ups to play with that kind of freedom. With Ponting it's age - he used to get to 20 and set like concrete. I mean, I can vouch that we all lose patience as we get older.

Hughes continues with these technical problems, Watson has these brain fades after 50 - like it's under 11s and you can retire or something. Clarke seems to have gone backwards since 2009, likewise Hadds. Khawaja seems ok except he can't play off the front foot. Hughes can't play off the back foot.

Hussey has learned, the rest haven't.

Aside from that, it's roses.

Spark

Global Moderator
MClarke23 Michael Clarke
Not the best of days.. Played a **** shot to get out and the Tigers got beat.. Looking forward to a new day tomorrow.
Well, can't fault his honesty.

Ruckus

International Captain
Our batsmen need to realiise it's no longer 1999-2007. There is no longer the depth in any of our given line ups to play with that kind of freedom. With Ponting it's age - he used to get to 20 and set like concrete. I mean, I can vouch that we all lose patience as we get older.

Hughes continues with these technical problems, Watson has these brain fades after 50 - like it's under 11s and you can retire or something. Clarke seems to have gone backwards since 2009, likewise Hadds. Khawaja seems ok except he can't play off the front foot. Hughes can't play off the back foot.

Hussey has learned, the rest haven't.

Aside from that, it's roses.
Yeah, very true.

Looking at the stats for the main batsmen this year doesn't instill me with much confidence either.

Averages in 2011:

Watson - 28.20
Hughes - 24.00
Ponting - 24.00
Clarke - 28.20
Hussey - 59.40
Haddin - 12.20

So our only in form batsmen this year has been Hussey, who also happens to be the only batsmen out of the above (bar Watson, who hasn't played against SA yet) who has a poor record against SA.

Ruckus

International Captain
Will note that aside from this series, the only other Test this year was the SCG Test.
Yeah admittedly no one has played much test cricket this year yet, but still it can't be said to be the greatest of 'starts' for the batsmen.

Ruckus

International Captain
Pretty potent excerpt from Brettig's article:

"Entering the Colombo Test neither [Ponting, Clarke] had made a Test century for 22 innings. For any batsman, such figures would be unfortunate, if not terminal. But for those entrusted with the two most important batting positions outside of the opening pair, they represent a fundamental breakdown in the ability to accomplish the most key of tasks. In a word, inexcusable."

So true...