• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

TumTum

Banned
Tall, strong, fast. Hits the crease well balanced and upright. Releases the ball beautifully. Seemed pretty much in control of what he was trying to do. I'd have him in for this test. Will get a chance this summer, so time will tell but I'm sure he's a goer.
He's really inaccurate. Same with Peter George.

Riggins

International Captain
Just read an article which said hints that Ponting wont be batting 3. V interesting. Would be a good move I think.

BlazeDragon

Banned
Just read an article which said hints that Ponting wont be batting 3. V interesting. Would be a good move I think.
Ponting gave out an interview on cricinfo before the series saying he would prefer to stay at #3. So I don't really think Clarke has enough guts yet to move him.

I would prefer if he stayed at 3. He is finally looking a little comfortable these days and I wouldn't want to mess up that rhythm.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I'd rather Ponting at 3 too, he isn't going anywhere too soon and I'd like to see if Marsh can be solid down the order too (our upcoming crop of batsmen still haven't established permanent roles in the Aussie side yet really besides Hughes),

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
agree, SA will be huge. But then not many gave us much of a chance in SL, and we have really done quite well considering, magnificent performance compared to the last Ashes, we have looked a completely different team.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
TBF, if the attack bowls a similar line and length to what it has on this tour todate, they're going to be a handful in South Africa.

Series will be won or lost depending on how well our batting holds up.

I'm not that confident yet.

Ruckus

International Captain
Whose the third seamer for SA these days? They'd have Steyn, Morkel and Tahir + ???. Haven't seen much of Tahir either, what's he like, cause he has an absurdly good record on paper at least...

Ruckus

International Captain
Ah yeah Tsotsobe forgot about him...doesn't look like he'd be much of a threat in the longer format.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ah yeah Tsotsobe forgot about him...doesn't look like he'd be much of a threat in the longer format.
Got dropped from his County Division 2 team this season. Says it all tbh.

He might be replaced by the time Australia play them but he's the incumbent at the moment.

Ruckus

International Captain
Why is Tsotsobe getting preference over someone like Rusty Theron? Don't know much about domestic stuff in SA but are FC records over there considered somewhat insignificant or something?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Why is Tsotsobe getting preference over someone like Rusty Theron? Don't know much about domestic stuff in SA but are FC records over there considered somewhat insignificant or something?
They have a three-day competition which is little more than glorified grade cricket, and on top of that they have a proper four-day franchise system. Both competitions have First Class status so you have to know how to separate the records - the three day stuff is legitimately irrelevant because it's mostly played at the same time as franchise cricket so the good players aren't even in it.

Theron has 72 wickets @ 26.16 in proper franchise cricket; Tsotsobe has 95 @ 27.30. So there's little to separate them there barring experience, really. The real domestic gun is Philander, though.

Ruckus

International Captain
They have a three-day competition which is little more than glorified grade cricket, and on top of that they have a proper four-day franchise system. Both competitions have First Class status so you have to know how to separate the records - the three day stuff is legitimately irrelevant because it's mostly played at the same time as franchise cricket so the good players aren't even in it.

Theron has 72 wickets @ 26.16 in proper franchise cricket; Tsotsobe has 95 @ 27.30. So there's little to separate them there barring experience, really. The real domestic gun is Philander, though.
Oh ok, that's interesting. Wow yeah Philander's record is ridiculous, from his profile pic looks like he means business as well haha.