• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Better ODI bowler::: McGrath or Wasim

Who is better ODI bowler? Only pure bowling.

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
Even then, McGrath is a better bowler.
No bowler in the history of ODIs has bowled as many overs in the death than Wasim and he was a master of it. As stephen mentioned McGrath was so awesome with the new ball.. He was good later on too but Wasim was sheer class in the last 5 overs of the innings. Change of pace, reverse swinging yorkers in both directions.

smash84

The Tiger King
Give Wasim the Aussie fielders and catchers, I say!

Edit: Request Rob to upload a youtube video of all missed catches on Wasim's bowling (I know it's too much to ask for).
haha.....awta

Even then, McGrath is a better bowler.
I am guessing you are more of a stats only person without watching any of the bowlers bowl.

A boundaries/ runs cost by mis fielding have cost Wasim quite a bit in his stats. A missed boundary for Pakistan is a given in any match (and also missed catches) so it would have been better had you ever watched Wasim bowl.

Debris

International 12th Man

Edit: Request Rob to upload a youtube video of all missed catches on Wasim's bowling (I know it's too much to ask for).
You are assuming here that catches off Wasim and McGrath are of equal difficulty. I can see catches off Wasim's bowling being more difficult to take.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

not just catches, superior fielding makes a HUGEEE difference too. It keeps the pressure on the batsmen and forces them to make mistakes, especially in ODIs. Hence, you get more wickets AND concede fewer runs.

IMO Wasim > Mcgrath

edit-
ODIs that is.

in tests probably equal after taking into consderation other factors.

Last edited:

Darth018

Banned
haha.....awta

I am guessing you are more of a stats only person without watching any of the bowlers bowl.

A boundaries/ runs cost by mis fielding have cost Wasim quite a bit in his stats. A missed boundary for Pakistan is a given in any match (and also missed catches) so it would have been better had you ever watched Wasim bowl.
Nobody considers McGrath better based on just economy rates.

And yeah your right people can't have watched both of them bowl to say McGrath is the better bowler 8-)

Btw, Pakistani fielding is far from what it is today compared to when Wasim was playing.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
:laugh:

I could let the ODI one slide but this I couldn't resist. What "factors" would that be?
BTW who made it into the Cricinfo ALL TIME XI ahead of McGrath?

there's little in it between the two

actually there's no point wasting my time on people with such rigid opinions

BlazeDragon

Banned
And Wasim had no competition for wickets from the likes of Waqar, Saqlain, Aaqib and Shoaib Akhtar?
And Pakistani fielders weren't as bad as people make it out to be back then either.

Seems like deja vu and I know I have had this argument before. If your trying to take credit away from Aussie bowlers for their fielding being more successful also give them extra credit for their bowling being more successful as well considering they had to share more of their wickets with their teammates.

Darth018

Banned
BTW who made it into the Cricinfo ALL TIME XI ahead of McGrath?

there's little in it between the two

actually there's no point wasting my time on people with such rigid opinions
Yes you are right Kapil Dev is the greatest all rounder because he made the Icc ALL TIME XI over all others lol.

And there is no point wasting my time with people who uses such lame excuses to sidetrack a debate.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Yes you are right Kapil Dev is the greatest all rounder because he made the Icc ALL TIME XI over all others lol.

And there is no point wasting my time with people who uses such lame excuses to sidetrack a debate.
cricinfo xi was chosen by cricket experts, while icc xi was selected by fans!!

i don't know why i am even responding to such a bad post.

Darth018

Banned
cricinfo xi was chosen by cricket experts, while icc xi was selected by fans!!

i don't know why i am even responding to such a bad post.
OMG! Ian Chappel is such a cricket expert that he picked Sehwag in his first ever greatest xi!!!

Yes you should quit replying as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Debris

International 12th Man
Not quite sure what you mean there, mate. :wacko:
The ball coming to the fieldsman faster as he bowled faster and the movement that Akram got with ball and his lesser accuracy meaning that it is harder to predict the areas where the ball will end up. Catches off Akram could also be lower to the ground as he got less bounce. And so on. I can think of numerous reason why more catches would be dropped of one bowler over another aside from the actual talent of the catchers. :smartass:

Last edited: