• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He had 3 ****ing years and he didn't get the ****ing message - stop bowling so ****ing short

****ing stupid clam.

Cricket_Champ

Cricket Spectator
He had 3 ****ing years and he didn't get the ****ing message - stop bowling so ****ing short

****ing stupid clam.
Why so mad? While he could bowl a little fuller, it's not like he hasn't had any success with his usual line and length. He does average 32.10 which is quite respectable.

adub

International Captain
It's the same deal with Siddle as it is with Copeland. Obviously given time and exposure bowling to high quality batsman, Siddle should (and will) develop into a better bowler. Just need to give him time. As you have said, he can do it but with more experience and a little bit of confidence it'll happen more frequently.
Like Spikey said - Siddle's had plenty of time to show get it right. This will be his 23rd test FFS. He can do it, but more often than not doesn't that's my problem with him. He can't be the brightest spark because the line and length he bowls when he takes wickets is markedly different from his usual tripe. Copeland is a very different animal, if he doesn't make it test level you know it won't be because he is bowling a different line and length to what works best for him.

Spikey

did you miss the "be **** for 4-5 innings and take a 5 wicket haul in the 6th" show MJ and Siddle put on for the last 3 years or something. It's no wonder Harris and Dougeh broke down...

Siddle had plenty of time to learn. He didn't. As Adub says there's no real reason for him to be this way. He's just a straight up clam. Justin Langer is probably at fault somewhere too. He'll be fine in 2 years time. Or maybe even now if he watched Broad

We do have the interesting prospect of both MJ and Siddle being due their 6 wicket haul in this match though

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I agree with you, although he's never going to settle in Test Cricket without playing actual Test Cricket.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. Hayden immediately springs to mind as someone who had an early debut, then was dropped for a few years and came back a far better and more suited player for Tests.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Khawaja must be feeling a bit dirty. No chance to do anything at all in the previous match and didn't disgrace himself the game before. Marsh comes in and makes a hundred on a road and gets his spot.
I agree, sort of, except that on this so-called road the Aussies were 3/116, prime collapse territory, road or not considering our past history.

And tons are pretty scarce from our established players these days apart from Huss so while I think Marsh should have been benched, I can understand why they weren't game to.

Spark

Global Moderator
Very different, Hayden had to spend years away from it. Clarke didn't really have to spend that long out compared to a Haydos or Langer.
True. Point is though, all these cases show that it's perfectly reasonable to drop a young player back to Shield cricket to have them reprove their worth/rework their game if needs be, and have them return a much better Test batsman.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Well, they've done a "Clarke" rather than a "Hayden" with Hughes, and it doesn't appear to have done much for him unfortunately.

Spark

Global Moderator
Well, they've done a "Clarke" rather than a "Hayden" with Hughes, and it doesn't appear to have done much for him unfortunately.
I think that's because with Clarke, the challenges for him were as much mental as technical. There were a few technical things to fix, but the big one was his concentration and his judgment outside off. It's also worth noting that as soon as he got dropped, Clarke started racking up sizeable runs in the Shield. Hughes, on the other hand, has struggled to recapture his best form consistently, in large part because he's had to try and rework his whole technique.

My point remains, though. Just because he's young, and he's scored plenty of Shield runs in the past, doesn't make him undroppable if he doesn't turn out some decent scores sometime soon.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Problem with Hughes is that he's dominated First Class cricket in his career. If he goes back to Shield cricket and averages 60, it doesn't necessarily prove anything.

Top_Cat

It's the same deal with Siddle as it is with Copeland. Obviously given time and exposure bowling to high quality batsman, Siddle should (and will) develop into a better bowler. Just need to give him time. As you have said, he can do it but with more experience and a little bit of confidence it'll happen more frequently.
Siddle's younger, lighter/less injury-prone than Harris and right up there with him in pace. Has every reason in the world to 'get it' quicker than Harris did.

Do you mean to infer that Tim Nielsen might have made a huge, stupid mistake? Surely not.
LEAVE VINNY ALOWWN.

Problem with Hughes is that he's dominated First Class cricket in his career. If he goes back to Shield cricket and averages 60, it doesn't necessarily prove anything.
Good selectors don't just rely on stats. All Australia needs now is to find one.

In all honesty, I'm seeing differences in how Hughes covers his off-stump since he came back. Still needs some time in the kiln, but.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Been meaning to ask this for a while. What do Aussie cricket lovers make of Pattinson's bowling?

Saw him in one of the ODIs on this tour (not sure which one) where he got two wickets for 40-something. Took both his wickets with the new ball in his first spell and the basics look alright to me.

Thoughts, gentlemen? Do you folks see test potential in him?

uvelocity

International Coach
Been meaning to ask this for a while. What do Aussie cricket lovers make of Pattinson's bowling?

Thoughts, gentlemen? Do you folks see test potential in him?
Tall, strong, fast. Hits the crease well balanced and upright. Releases the ball beautifully. Seemed pretty much in control of what he was trying to do. I'd have him in for this test. Will get a chance this summer, so time will tell but I'm sure he's a goer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Good selectors don't just rely on stats. All Australia needs now is to find one.

In all honesty, I'm seeing differences in how Hughes covers his off-stump since he came back. Still needs some time in the kiln, but.
True, my point was that Hughes piling on runs for NSW itself doesn't necessarily tell you anything.

Midwinter

State Captain
Why oh why oh why have they dropped Usman ?
******g ****s
One of the complaints in the Argus report was that no one knew where they stood.

For last few years the selection has been irrational.

Are they going to bat Marsh at 6 ?

If they regarded Marsh as better than Usman why hadn't they picked him before ?

Its not just about runs you *****s !

Ask Stuie Law what it should take to get a game for Australia.

BTW Hughes must be a koala.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
On the whole Clarke catch thing, the conversation is really clear on this:

Michael Clarke Catch- Jayawardene Stands Ground - YouTube

It seems from that, that you can hear Watto saying "just walk, mate". This seems to have gotten up Mahela's nerves a bit. Very impressed with how Clarke dealt with it though.

I think it's the fact Watto seems to say "Just ****ing walk" that annoys him. And fair enough too, wasn't really necessary. Clarke handled the situation well in going up to Mahela and having a chat to him.