• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Cricket_Champ

Cricket Spectator
Of course Bollinger hasn't been better - he hasn't played!

Unless you mean the ODIs in which case, no, Bollinger was easily our best bowler.
Talking more about his performance in the Ashes. To be honest, I think his performance in the ODIs are almost worthless. I won't welcome Bollinger back into the Test team untill he proves in domestic cricket that he can bowl consistent line and length at pace over the course of a FC game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Talking more about his performance in the Ashes. To be honest, I think his performance in the ODIs are almost worthless. I won't welcome Bollinger back into the Test team untill he proves in domestic cricket that he can bowl consistent line and length at pace over the course of a FC game.
You mean the one Test he played after being thoroughly ****ed over by CA management with regards to conditioning?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Would back Bollinger to do better and be more threatening than almost all of the other Australian bowlers, in such conditions. Certainly more than Johnson, even though Johnson is capable of having a big game out of nowhere.

uvelocity

International Coach
Dougie went good in the ODI's and looked keen as mustard. Old Patto looked good as well. I like Siddle but he has proven to be out of form, sure hope they don't pick him if Rhino is injured.

If its copes, sprayer and siddle for the next test we will need to bat really, really well methinks.

Valer

First Class Debutant
How was he ****ed over?
Firstly I'd look at his performance again in the actual match.

See below, taken from here. Doug would be my first pick, but hopefully Harris comes up good. Note for me this is not a full pardon but he's certainly in the top 4 pacers off the rank, that being the current trio and him.
HowardJ (Ashes Essay) said:
A case study here is Doug Bollinger. Coming into the series, he was a key bowler. Yet this is how he was treated leading up to the Ashes Series:

1. Ordered to stay and play T20 Champions League for NSW instead of playing a First Class warm-up game before the Tests against India
2. Breaks down in the subsequent Indian Test
3. Sent home
4. Ready to play for NSW, but is pulled out of the Shield game by CA and told to rest
5. Is excluded from the Gabba Test with one of the key reasons being that he hasn’t done enough bowling!
6. Is shipped off to Perth to play Shield cricket during the Gabba Test
7. Is taken out of the Shield game mid-match and selected for Adelaide Test
8. Gets to Adelaide, and simply runs out of puff.

The point here is that he was always going to be a key bowler leading into the Ashes, but he simply was not well managed. He showed up to Adelaide unfit. Who was monitoring his fitness? Who was ensuring that he hit the Ashes in peak condition or was at least ready to go in Adelaide? Not good enough for a key player in a big-ticket series.

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
Herculean effort from Harris so far in this series he has carried pretty much the whole attack on his shoulders but the flip side to that is that we could easily overwork him leading to him getting injured again, therefore using him more as an impact bowler in short bursts is our best bet to make him last and that's something we kind of failed to do in the 2nd innings of the second test.

Now the 3rd test is not only important for the outcome of this series but I think its a game that could/should pave the path for Australian test cricket's future as well, I think if things mentioned in the Argus report are actually being taken seriously then underperforming and inconsistent players should be made to sweat to keep their places in the side regardless of their previous achievements.

When you see guys like Haddin and Johnson make the same mistakes game after game you get a feeling that somewhere down the line they know that there is no way they are gonna get dropped because there is nobody who's actually pushing them for their places and its high time such protected species are pushed out of their comfort zones and are made to realise that unless one performs they will perish.

Lostman

State Captain
Saved by the rain.
Lies!
Randiv was ready to run through the Aussies for <100 in the 4th innings.

On another note, its about time Para starts converting his starts into 100's. Does all the hard work and then throws it away so many times.

Lostman

State Captain
Australian opener and vice-captain Shane Watson is prepared to shift down the order if his increased bowling demands put a strain on his ability to compile big scores
lol.
Btw, anyone else notice how similar Mathews career is starting off compared to Watson.
"All rounders" that don't/can't bowl and both seem allergic to hundreds. (Mathews already has 2 90+ scores in tests including a run out on 99)

Migara

International Coach
Mathews to open batting in both formats. Loves pace on the ball, and a long innings will mean a big one too.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
But Dilshan was a useless middle order bat as well.
After Arnold's retirement, Mathews is only bat we have had that looks good batting this low.
Dilshan's main problem, the way I see it, is when the ball moves a touch off the deck. Because, he has a very porous technique (by top-order batting standards), facing the moving new ball isn't making him look very good.

Admittedly, he's got away with some of these fundamental flaws in the past, but it may not stay that way for long. The guy's aggressive, a good player of spin and now with more experience, I think it's apt if he moves to that no. 6 position.

Matthews looks composed and although goes at it with harder hands than I'd like to see, my feeling is that he's temperamentally better suited than Dilshan to open the innings. Could be a punt coz some guys surrpise themselves by improving admirably in a new role. But I think it's a punt that Sri Lankan cricket would do well to take at this juncture.