• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Migara

International Coach
At last some resistance. But new ball has to be negotiated and it's perfectly set up for Aussies tomorrow morning. New batsmen facing the new ball would be one of the things that Clarke wanted.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What has T20 got to do with this..!? All I'm saying is Copeland is an accurate seamer who depends on help from the conditions to create his chances, during the first hour of the test he was using the freshness of the pitch beautifully and was moving the ball both ways but beyond that point he has hardly looked like picking a wicket and that hardly is a great thing for an attack that is also carrying a mercurial bowler like Johnson.

I think there is some sort of a myth that since the Australian attack leaks way too many runs hence we need people who can block an end allowing other bowlers to attack, but that argument doesn't take into account that we have been leaking runs as an attack due to our inability to take wickets at a consistent rate and I don't think we have done enough to correct that problem.
So much fail.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
At last some resistance. But new ball has to be negotiated and it's perfectly set up for Aussies tomorrow morning. New batsmen facing the new ball would be one of the things that Clarke wanted.
Harris nipping it back in with the new ball is going to be the numero uno threat. His accuracy and seam presentation has been superb so far in this series. Copeland is disciplined but doesn't look the type to run through sides, while about the third "seamer", the less said the better! :D

pup11

International Coach
pitch isn't a total road, a few deliveries from lyon kept low and spun, we've got the chance to do it we'll see how good we are for relative newcomers in the side, then get on to the next test and get rid of hughes
Look mate it would be ridiculous if we drop Hughes now especially after forcing Katich into retirement so that we can establish him as a long term player for Australia, its a harsh reality that most of our talented players would have to hone their skills at the international level because of the flaws that have crept into our domestic system and sending him back into the same system to face the same attacks he has been destroying for the last few years is just gonna be a waste of time.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't know Boucher had a test wicket either.
I believe he took one (Dwayne Bravo) in the same match where AB de Villiers picked up 2 wickets with reverse swinging yorkers and Chris Gayle scored 300+ in a bore draw. Was the highlight of the test.

What with the bad light/iffy weather, Sri Lanka probably only need to bat 60 odd overs tomorrow, which shouldn't be too hard given how flat the wicket is. Nothing in it at all.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
What has T20 got to do with this..!? All I'm saying is Copeland is an accurate seamer who depends on help from the conditions to create his chances, during the first hour of the test he was using the freshness of the pitch beautifully and was moving the ball both ways but beyond that point he has hardly looked like picking a wicket and that hardly is a great thing for an attack that is also carrying a mercurial bowler like Johnson.

I think there is some sort of a myth that since the Australian attack leaks way too many runs hence we need people who can block an end allowing other bowlers to attack, but that argument doesn't take into account that we have been leaking runs as an attack due to our inability to take wickets at a consistent rate and I don't think we have done enough to correct that problem.
Well then you actually don't understand cricket. And I can't help you.

Lostman

State Captain
What with the bad light/iffy weather, Sri Lanka probably only need to bat 60 odd overs tomorrow, which shouldn't be too hard given how flat the wicket is. Nothing in it at all.
I said the same thing before the 5th day at Cardiff:(

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Look mate it would be ridiculous if we drop Hughes now especially after forcing Katich into retirement so that we can establish him as a long term player for Australia, its a harsh reality that most of our talented players would have to hone their skills at the international level because of the flaws that have crept into our domestic system and sending him back into the same system to face the same attacks he has been destroying for the last few years is just gonna be a waste of time.
I agree about Hughes and I don't even like watching him bat. He makes me wince, but they have placed so much faith in him by not even giving Kat a farewell contract that they have to give him at least this series and the next and if he's still arsing around without going on, shoot the clay pigeon down then.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain

But who do you think could correct that problem? Who do you think should be there in place of Copeland?

mono

U19 Debutant
I hope sri lanka 'pleasantly' surprise me tomorrow morning. To be honest I feel that it'll take sometime for Sri lanka get on our feet again. With murali & malinga leaving test cricket we have little chance of bowling a side out. And I don't know if there is anyone good enough waiting in the wings. Batting seems to have also gone to the dogs, although for reasons that are beyond me. :(

Sylvester

State Captain
Copeland's miserly bowling is a good foil to a bowling line-up with attacking bowlers but unfortunately we don't have any apart from Harris so basically his inability to contribute in terms of wickets is only adding to the burden of this bowling attack.
Why don't you look to Johnson then. He is the so called attacking bowler and he only has 1 top order wicket to his name and has been expensive at times. Copeland has 3 and has been economical.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Why don't you look to Johnson then. He is the so called attacking bowler and he only has 1 top order wicket to his name and has been expensive at times. Copeland has 3 and has been economical.
Perfect rebuttal! While he's no Malcolm Marshall, I am surprised at the amount of flak poor Copeland is copping in here.

Yes, the guy ain't quick and his style of bowling may not look ***y to one's subjective eye, but he's young, disciplined and seems to have his basics in place. Every youngster goes through a learning curve and if his Shield record is anything to go by, the lad would learn to pick up wickets in different conditions well enough.

I'd have more problems with the genuinely quick scattergun who cannot seem to land six ****ing balls on the playing strip. Clueless about how to hold the seam, has no idea on how to work batsmen out - seriously why is he the senior bowler in the side?

Copes would get a bit quicker and the way I see it, a lot more penetrative. Got to persevere with a youngster when you see potential. His lack of pace at this nascent stage in his career ought not to be held against him.

A lot negative things were said about Praveen Kumar too. Arguably, the trundler has been the only bowler of note in England, while his colleagues with greater pace and more eye-catching appeal have been pedestrian. 8-)

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't see why the attack should cop any major criticism ATM. They're bowling well on a flat pitch to two good players, and they're doing it with a lot of discipline, not being expensive. And that with two rookie bowlers too.

Personally think this is the most consistent Johnson has bowled in a long while. Been pretty accurate really.

Every one of the five front liners has asked questions and bowled with discipline. Even yesterday there were a number of half chances created, a few balls dropping into gaps. I really don't see the problem here.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
We all knew at SOME point the big guns Sanga and Mahela would do something huge, this is tn huge yet but it may well be by end of today. Was expecting some big double tons from both in the series, maybe 3rd test.....

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Agree. If you can't get out Mahela and Sanga at home for a few sessions, and haven't been pounded for many runs, it's not the end of the world!

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I don't see why the attack should cop any major criticism ATM. They're bowling well on a flat pitch to two good players, and they're doing it with a lot of discipline, not being expensive. And that with two rookie bowlers too.
No reason for any broad criticism. But I saw the complete first test and parts of this one and it seems that Johnson is the least threatening of 'em all. Surprisingly economical, yes, but the truth is he isn't asking enough questions off them.

IF the axe has to fall, Johnson's neck must be the first in line. Not saying right now, but Johnson being Johnson will sooner rather than later, screw up. It's VERY important that the younger and visibly less attractive Copes is not slaughtered at that stage. That would be a step backward for Aus cricket.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tbf Johnson is always ****e first test of a series for some reason, unless it's straight on the back of another series he's already played.

Agree Copeland should get a decent run at the side though.

adub

International Captain

Personally think this is the most consistent Johnson has bowled in a long while. Been pretty accurate really.

Every one of the five front liners has asked questions and bowled with discipline. Even yesterday there were a number of half chances created, a few balls dropping into gaps. I really don't see the problem here.
This.

Even Johnson has been tight. Just because you haven't rolled a side for 250 or less (yet) for the 4th straight innings doesn't mean you're not bowling well. This is the best balanced and most penetrative attack we've fielded in a long time. Let's give them a chance FFS. The skipper is still on his L plates and whilst he's been great, I think he'll get even better with how he uses his resources.

Sylvester

State Captain
I have no problem with the attack, just don't get how Copeland keeps being the one getting flak just because he is slow. He has been just as effective if not more than the quicker Johnson.