• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Aussie fast bowler

Greatest Aussie paceman???

• Total voters

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Never Considered Jeff Thompson?:-O:
Yeah, I did. Thommo had a short, explosive peak. The others managed to sustain excellence for longer periods hence got the nod ahead of him. I also don't think he was as complete a master of his art as the four men (and also Miller) I mentioned ahead of him.

Would like to see that thread disscussion :wub:
That'll be great, sir. Maybe someone like yourself who's seen a lot of Tiger and Grimmett can start such a thread. :cool:

JBMAC

State Captain
Yeah, I did. Thommo had a short, explosive peak. The others managed to sustain excellence for longer periods hence got the nod ahead of him. I also don't think he was as complete a master of his art as the four men (and also Miller) I mentioned ahead of him.

That'll be great, sir. Maybe someone like yourself who's seen a lot of Tiger and Grimmett can start such a thread. :cool:
Thought about highlited above decided to check quick stats surprised me:

Miller
54 tests 170 wickets @ 2.24 S/R 61.54 Best inns 7/60 Best Match 10/152

Thompson
51 tests 200 wickets @ 3.19 S/R 52.68 Best inns 6/46 Best Match 9/105

In addition JT took 55 wkts @ 4.32 in 50 odd ODIs

So there is not much between them. JT was a lot faster though and I agree with you about his consistency because of that pace. I had the privilege of both playing with him and against him in the Brisbane club competition.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
So there is not much between them. JT was a lot faster though and I agree with you about his consistency because of that pace. I had the privilege of both playing with him and against him in the Brisbane club competition.
Great! I'd imagine that Miller probably made the ball do more things off the pitch than the quicker Thommo.
Always felt that a fast-medium bowler who clamped down on the seam with alarming regularity is a more difficult proposition to face. But I reckon that in the pre-helmet days, considerations may have been different.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If the subject of the thread was the greatest performance by an Australian quick bowler over a single series I find it difficult to believe that Thommo's performance in 74/75 could be bettered

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
If the subject of the thread was the greatest performance by an Australian quick bowler over a single series I find it difficult to believe that Thommo's performance in 74/75 could be bettered
Alderman, 1989? And the fact that he performed in away conditions perhaps ought to add weight to his case as well.

Hogg in 1977/78 had a great home Ashes too.

Last edited:

JBMAC

State Captain
Meckiff Interviews and Chucking

For those of you who are interested here is a 2 part interview with some very famous names and footage. The most telling part is towards the end of part 2 when Ian after talking with Egar today has been assured his bowling action, if he was still playing, would be LEGAL!

Chucking in Cricket: 1950s & 60s Part 1 - YouTube

JBMAC

State Captain
With regards to post #76 put it in the wrong place sorry have corrected it by posting in "Worst decision......"

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alderman, 1989? And the fact that he performed in away conditions perhaps ought to add weight to his case as well.

Hogg in 1977/78 had a great home Ashes too.
It's obviously a question with a number of excellent possible answers but for me it was Thomson's impact as much as anything else that was so memorable