• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Lostman

State Captain
The side batting in the 4th innings made 250, and the ICC are investigating the pitch...

Suppose they would be happy with the SCC wicket, when both sides pile up 600+ scores in a draw. After all there were five full days of cricket.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Didn't watch much of the test. Was the pitch as bad as the players and ICC are bitching about? Or is it a case of the "test wicket that heavily favours spin bowlers is not allowed"?
Took turn way too early for my taste, balls were going through the surface pretty much from the off.

"The sort of pitch that does test cricket no favours." as Benaud would probably say.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Have to admit I threw in Swann's name into the mix just to see if someone says that. :laugh:
I'm only having fun anyway. Swann is best of a pretty ordinary bunch at present. No real thrilling spinner around that makes you really sit up and take notice.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Broad at it again.

**** ICC and there rating Spinning wickets as "poor". Why don't they go and rate the 250 par seamer friendly wicket with high bounce,pace and seam and swing movement with no spin at all as "Poor" or extremely flat roads as "Poor". Disgusting :@.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Can't see why the pitch was labelled as poor. Difficult yes but not poor. If it was poor would a guy get the only century of the match in the last innings?

Daemon

They must have explicitly stated to all international grounds that pitches that offer variations on both extremes seemingly randomly are to be deemed poor. I don't think it was a poor pitch at all though, despite the added bit of luck factor, it didn't misbehave that badly.

They also used the argument of the game being decided by the toss, though in the fourth innings the pitch didn't look at it's most dangerous. Not sure whether that was because of the rain but it doesn't seem like a valid argument to me.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't see why the pitch was labelled as poor. Difficult yes but not poor. If it was poor would a guy get the only century of the match in the last innings?
That was my original thought, albeit as I've already admitted, without seeing much of the test other than some of the 4th (and final) day.

If a pitch spins a hell of a lot on day 1, but less on day 4, what's the difference? The pitch seemed quite reasonable on day 4 and had eased out a bit. Whether a pitch is more difficult to bat on at first, or easier to bat on at first, shouldn't make a difference.

There shouldn't be a rule that it can't spin on day 1.

Again though, didn't see the first day's play so speaking in hypotheticals here.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
If Pitches that turn on day one are not allowed than what about pitches like Centurion or Trent bridge which don't turn at all but give a big advantage to the seamers?

And as for the toss point, that is absolute rubbish. This isn't even close to being the worst match influenced by the toss in this year,let alone being anything special. And there is no way anything can be done about that in many cases with the weather, though only extreme extreme issues should be looked at. This wasn't even close, and Broad is at it again .:@

Woodster

International Captain
That was my original thought, albeit as I've already admitted, without seeing much of the test other than some of the 4th (and final) day.

If a pitch spins a hell of a lot on day 1, but less on day 4, what's the difference? The pitch seemed quite reasonable on day 4 and had eased out a bit. Whether a pitch is more difficult to bat on at first, or easier to bat on at first, shouldn't make a difference.

There shouldn't be a rule that it can't spin on day 1.

Again though, didn't see the first day's play so speaking in hypotheticals here.
I watched the entire first day and have to admit it was captivating cricket. It wasn't a four an over run-rate for the day, or a clatter of wickets falling continuously, but it was real good Test cricket.

The innings of Mike Hussey showed what could be achieved on a pitch that did assist the slower bowlers and conditions offered the opportunity for reverse swing later in the day. It was a proper contest between bat and ball, the good players made runs, although presumably it was the type of pitch you were never actually comfortably in on, and the bowlers that bowled in the right areas caused problems.

Have no problem with these type of pitches, makes for much more entertaining and testing cricket than the roads that the absolute roads we have seen in the sub-continent.