• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Mr Popodopolous

Cricket Spectator
Not seen a pitch turn so much, so early before. Clarke and Hussey great players of spin, Australia almost certain to win here.

Incidentally, talking of Hussey I'm really unconvinced it was out- Benefit of doubt to batsmen etc- watched it several times this evening online and yeah still impossible to say either way I thought.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Not seen a pitch turn so much, so early before. Clarke and Hussey great players of spin, Australia almost certain to win here.

Incidentally, talking of Hussey I'm really unconvinced it was out- Benefit of doubt to batsmen etc- watched it several times this evening online and yeah still impossible to say either way I thought.
I guess you didn't see that 4th test 2004 India vs Australia! Crazy spin from ball one.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah reminds me a lot of that match too.

Wonder if Clarke will have a trundle... we could see some lols.

Ruckus

International Captain
Let's just assume we keep this attack for some time to come...who do people see as the potential bowling leader now? And do we really need one? If you look at England's attack, while they all contribute, you still get the feeling Anderson very much leads from the front.

Julian87

State Captain
'what was your biggest highlight today?'

Lyon said:
Walking out at the start of play as a part of the Australian cricket team.

'That was a bigger highlight than all of your wickets or taking a five for?'
Lyon said:
Definitely.
Quite enjoyed this part of the press conference.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Let's just assume we keep this attack for some time to come...who do people see as the potential bowling leader now? And do we really need one? If you look at England's attack, while they all contribute, you still get the feeling Anderson very much leads from the front.
Yeah I've always felt the whole "bowling leader" thing was vastly over-rated. If you need one bloke to carry your attack you're in some trouble unless he's an all-time great and frankly you can't rely on that all the time. Johnson is probably still looked upon as the spearhead, but I don't think he has to -lead- this attack as such; he's just the strike bowler as fulfills that role in the attack. As it should be.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
Impressed by the style of Kwajah. His temperament seems ok as well. He may become a good one. Not much said about Harris,s bowling but thought it was tight and on the money. Crappy pitch possibly one of the worst I have seen(on TV) in the sub-continent
pitch turns a ****load in SL/IND/PAK and teams are bowled out for 200-100 = horrible pitch. dustbowl. boycott the subcontinent.

pitch is green and the ball seams around in NZ/ENG/SAF/AUS and teams are bowled out for 200-100 = what a pitch. true cricket. great contest between bat and ball.

LOL

DriveClub

International Regular
pitch turns a ****load in SL/IND/PAK and teams are bowled out for 200-100 = horrible pitch. dustbowl. boycott the subcontinent.

pitch is green and the ball seams around in NZ/ENG/SAF/AUS and teams are bowled out for 200-100 = what a pitch. true cricket. great contest between bat and ball.

LOL
Aye, modern batsmen & fans are spoilt nowadays. A bowling pitch is considered as poor when in essence it should be pitches that are dangerous to play on that should be termed as poor. I've got no gripes with the pitch, just makes every run a batsman gets worth so much more, a typical subcontinent dustbowl. Nothing wrong with it, batters from both teams have been poor with their technique & temperament. Signs of the time I guess.

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
I don't mind this pitch, it's had abit of uneven bounce to keep the pace bowlers in it abit and i'd much rather watch batsmen struggle to carve out a good innings in these conditions then belt out a big score on an absolute road like we've seen a few times recently in the sub continent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

LOL
Whilst I agree that there's a big double standard in attitudes there, I do think the main difference between those two situations is how crucial the toss is. You don't want the toss playing a key role in determining the winner, and pitches like this bring the toss into play a lot more than a South African seamer would.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Whilst I agree that there's a big double standard in attitudes there, I do think the main difference between those two situations is how crucial the toss is. You don't want the toss playing a key role in determining the winner, and pitches like this bring the toss into play a lot more than a South African seamer would.
It's not just that though, it's the style of cricket that dustbowls produce. Mundane, boring, slow and conservative cricket.

A seamer will have the ball zinging around but there's still bounce and carry and shots can be played all round the wicket, with catches being able to carry behind the wicket.

A dustbowl all but takes out alot of genuine caught behind dismissals, and the greater portion of dismissals are in front of the wicket through poor shots brought on by variable bounce or the general slowness of the pitch. Or LBW/Bowled from variable bounce.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer a pitch like this than a road, but it's not great cricket really.