• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

adub

International Captain
Only problem with that is it's shown it going dead straight on. It was definitely not doing that and it definitely didn't hit the pad before bouncing so it is pretty clear there was an error with working out the intersection point. Once that error's made you make any claims of accuracy you like, they're based on a error.

I'm not arguing against hawkeye - quite the opposite I'm a fan of it. But it isn't fool proof and I'd take a huge amount of convincing that on this occasion it hasn't got it wrong. (though not necessarily the wrong decision, but I think it probably was)

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I reckon we just got a funny angle on the slowmo tbh. The HawkEye track did show the ball land on the pitch and then hit the pad, and that track showed the pad impact to be closer to leg than where it pitched. It's not like it just showed it to be a full toss, in which case I'd probably agree.

HawkEye > Cevno (or anyone else) watching on TV.
The Ball tracking can get it wrong you know and even some of the makers who make such instruments admit it :p.

There was no way that the ball was not deviating from the straight at all whatever be the angle, and the Hawkeye should it as if it was absolutely holding its line which isn't true.

If it had been shown missing leg by hawkeye then it would have got interesting, but the right decision was made by the Umpire in this case.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
the frame rate of the hawk eye cameras isn't that high so occasionaly they can't pick up where exactly the ball has travelled.

Last edited:

Redbacks

International Captain
Only problem with that is it's shown it going dead straight on. It was definitely not doing that and it definitely didn't hit the pad before bouncing so it is pretty clear there was an error with working out the intersection point. Once that error's made you make any claims of accuracy you like, they're based on a error.

I'm not arguing against hawkeye - quite the opposite I'm a fan of it. But it isn't fool proof and I'd take a huge amount of convincing that on this occasion it got it wrong. (though not necessarily the wrong decision, but I think it probably was)
Sounds like in this case the prediction didn't pick up the deviation which would lead to an error. My main point is just that based on the information provided by the Hawkeye manufacturer, probably biased towards their product, the feed we see will often differ from the hawkeye cameras. Hence it's always worth considering that what looks like a different amount of deviation from the TV feed could be the same deviation seen from the perspective of the Hawkeye cameras. As you say its not 100% but certainly has merit.

adub

International Captain
Sounds like in this case the prediction didn't pick up the deviation which would lead to an error. My main point is just that based on the information provided by the Hawkeye manufacturer, probably biased towards their product, the feed we see will often differ from the hawkeye cameras. Hence it's always worth considering that what looks like a different amount of deviation from the TV feed could be the same deviation seen from the perspective of the Hawkeye cameras. As you say its not 100% but certainly has merit.
Yep love it. Just (rightly) saved Clarke. Gets it right far more often than umps so should be mandatory, but the technology still needs to improve to get to 100%.