• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Ruckus

International Captain
I haven't been watching, but is the general consensus here that the score is more to with bad batting or good bowling/bad pitch?

adub

International Captain
Yeah, I know, but that's not what I meant.
I know what you mean, but I don't know. I have a strangely good feeling about how we'll bowl. Maybe it's just blind optimism born of seeing Copeland debut, but I'm even feeling warmly towards Johnson (and that never happens).

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Did it quite a few times during his innings tbh; always felt like that was coming.
Same with Hughes' dismissal, tbh. Was reasonable bowling to clam him up but a nick seemed inevitable. That it spat a bit is neither here nor there for mine.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I know what you mean, but I don't know. I have a strangely good feeling about how we'll bowl. Maybe it's just blind optimism born of seeing Copeland debut, but I'm even feeling warmly towards Johnson (and that never happens).
Yeah I like the attack too and I think they'll bowl well on this wicket which is doing a bit. I think Sri Lanka's middle order will bat infinitely better on it than we have though; they've forged careers out of making pitches like this look like absolute roads regardless of the attack - so much so that they often get marked down for it by analysts (somehow).

adub

International Captain
I haven't been watching, but is the general consensus here that the score is more to with bad batting or good bowling/bad pitch?
Personally I reckon the bowlers deserve the credit. They haven't given much away and have bowled enough good balls to get wickets. The pitch is doing a bit, some spin, some variable bounce, a bit two paced, and now reversing. You'd definitely prefer to bowl on it than bat, and the Lankans are using it to their advantage as you would expect.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Despite all the grit shown by Hussey and others we still would get bowled under 200, now what I'm saying is that had we batted a bit more positively we might have pushed the bowlers out of their comfort zone which would have made life a lot more easier for our batters.
Easier said than done, Pup. Did you see how the ball is taking chunks out of the pitch and puffs of dust are coming up every now and then?

It's not a pitch where you can charge spinners down the track and belt them out of the ground. Ponting played one superb lofted shot and the second proved fatal. Sweeping is a good approach, but I don't think any batsman on display is adept at doing that. Hussey's wait and watch mantra seems to be the best option in these circumstances.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
The bigger question is are these guys - Haddin, Midge and others - capable of batting around Hussey to add at least 100 to 120 runs more?

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm thinking everyone has underestimated this Sri Lankan attack based on how they went in England. They've been very effective so far in home conditions - Herath in particular. Welegedara getting a nice bit of reverse, too.

Not if he serves up full tosses. :dry:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
I think the bowling has been pretty good, not sensational but very solid and there has been the odd jaffa bowled. Clarke's dismissal was funny as he's always talked up as our best player of spin.

Punter got done in flight but I don't see why he was so keen on lofting the ball anyway.

This is the Aussie batting line-up and I daresay if the bowling had been less disciplined they still would have got themselves out anyway - Punter has turned that into an art form in recent years - BUT the Lankies know their own conditions and are using them well.

archie mac

International Coach
Luck Aust won the toss with the SL spinners seemingly being a class above the Aussie spinners. Perhaps with SL batting last Aussies may be a fair chance:unsure: