• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Spark

Global Moderator
for the tour match I'd go with

Hughes
Marsh
Khawaja
Clarke
Haddin
Johnson
Copeland
Siddle
Beer
Pattinson
Lyon

Crazy unbalanced side I know, but it's only a three-dayer and the only chance to have a look at the guys who are fighting for spots and/or haven't had any game time. Would be much better if we had a 2nd game so we could then play something more like the test side to make sure Ponting and Mussey especially get time in the middle, but it isn't going to happen. This side at least gives Hughes a chance to get a bat, and Marsh and Uzi a chance to go head to head. All the bowlers get a chance to show what they've got except Harris who I'd consider a cert and no need to risk injury. If we don't give them all a go we'll just be guessing when we pick the test side.

As a three dayer I'd be hoping to bat second and bat once. Winning is no big deal, getting overs under all the bowlers belts is more important. Bloody stupid scheduling though.
I've got grave fears for the India series tbh just because I reckon our blokes are gonna be breaking down by the bucketloads. Our schedule over the next few months is insanely hectic.

Lostman

State Captain
Apparently this is the first time we've played a tour with three Tests all back to back. There are gonna be some seriously tired bodies in a few months' time...
Pretty sure 2004 tour was the same format.
Almost all 3 tests tours to SL are scheduled this way.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Nah. Needs some time in the middle to sort his shot selection out. As stephen said, Watto's the only viable candidate for resting for me.
They should rest Johnson, Watson and Punter. They are all going to play in the test matches and have all played in the ODIs.

No-one knows why Johnson bowls well or badly, so warm-ups, especially after the ODI series, are kind of irrelevant for him.

Watson should be rested and we need to give Khawaja and Marsh more time in the middle than Punter who has played and batted 5 times now.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
MJ Clarke*
SE Marsh

MA Beer
TA Copeland

BJ Haddin†
RJ Harris
PJ Hughes
MEK Hussey

PM Siddle
UT Khawaja
NM Lyon

SL batting

Spikey

Copeland the new ball....

(i was gonna say if siddle decided for today to be the day he gets a wicket with the new ball imma rage hard)

adub

International Captain
MJ Clarke*
SE Marsh

MA Beer
TA Copeland

BJ Haddin†
RJ Harris
PJ Hughes
MEK Hussey

PM Siddle
UT Khawaja
NM Lyon

SL batting
Hah wasn't far off. Harris for Pattinson would seem to indicate the kid is here to learn not necessarily to play. I have no problems with that. Mussey in for Notch, well much as I'm not a fan we all know that Johnson is going to play so hopefully Huss gets some good time in the centre.

Seems pretty clear all five bowlers are in a bowl off for 2 or three spots. If they go for 1 spinner Harris plays with Copes/Siddle fighting for the third seamer. If both spinners do well and are picked for Galle then Harris could miss out altogether.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Australia picking two spinners in any conditions would be absolutely insane IMO. Surely they wouldn't entertain that idea.

Spark

Global Moderator
Clarke in typical form giving Harris a three over spell.

Siddle, meanwhile, donates four with his first ball.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Sri Lanka have picked an insanely strong team for a "Board XI'; they've treated it almost like a like a tour match themselves.

DriveClub

International Regular
Pretty much the squad I'd have picked except Mitch for Beer. Mitch will be spraying it around without any match practice and the lad's one of the fittest if not the fittest in the squad. And oh yeah Beer's a hack

Spikey

Whole-hearted Siddle spell again, sharp and straight but too consistently short on a largely unresponsive pitch.

well how bout that