• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

howardj

International Coach
I reckon Haddin's ODI career is fast coming to a close. He's looked wretched at times, and I wouldn't be surprised if the selectors took the upcoming Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series out here as an opportunity to transition Paine into Australian set up, as a foundation for him taking the Test gloves in the medium term.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Haddin should be gone. I guess he'll have the next two ODI's plus the SA ones, and gone if he makes no runs.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Haddin should be gone. I guess he'll have the next two ODI's plus the SA ones, and gone if he makes no runs.
But why? Why is it an unwritten law that wicket keepers have to open in ODI's? He's just not an opener at the moment. We have better opening options than him so why not drop him down to 6 or 7? He's clearly our best wicket keeper batsman.

BlazeDragon

Banned
Smith should be the first one axed after this tour unless he proves everybody wrong and actually provides something for the team for once.

Last edited:

BlazeDragon

Banned
But why? Why is it an unwritten law that wicket keepers have to open in ODI's? He's just not an opener at the moment. We have better opening options than him so why not drop him down to 6 or 7? He's clearly our best wicket keeper batsman.
Agree with this. Just take him out as an opener and see how he does.

Spikey

I reckon Haddin's ODI career is fast coming to a close. He's looked wretched at times, and I wouldn't be surprised if the selectors took the upcoming Commonwealth Bank Tri-Series out here as an opportunity to transition Paine into Australian set up, as a foundation for him taking the Test gloves in the medium term.
Duh. Was always next in line. Wade is by far a better option in ODers so hopefully Haddin lasts until the new selectors are put in place and there's a bit of clean slate re next keeper. Cause right now Paine has a hold on that role he shouldn't have

Joao

U19 12th Man
Duh. Was always next in line. Wade is by far a better option in ODers so hopefully Haddin lasts until the new selectors are put in place and there's a bit of clean slate re next keeper. Cause right now Paine has a hold on that role he shouldn't have
I agree with this. Where did all this Paine love come from in any format? Wade hands down in limited overs from what I have seen of both and judging by first class records Wade hands down in the longer format. Wade SHOULD be our next keeper when Haddin goes.

First Class
Paine 46 matches 2467 @ 31.26 with 1 hundred
Wade 45 matches 2121 @37.87 with 3 hundreds

Limited (50) overs
Paine 81 matches 2462 @ 34.67 s/r 69 5 hundreds
Wade 31 matches 1005 @ 41.87 s/r 85 3 hundreds

Also Wade is 3 years younger and a lefty for Watto in ODI.

Haven't seem much of Wade's keeping but I don't think Paine is especially good anyway. So is there anyone here that actually thinks Paine is better?

Last edited:

Spikey

and can open!

given how we're gonna push the poor keeper into that role anyway that's a plus

Spark

Global Moderator
As I've said I think that was a hunch call based on him just looking like he would take well to int'l cricket. A hunch, as it turned out, to be a fairly good one, but those numbers there surely must speak for themselves.

Riggins

International Captain
Purely on keeping - Paine significantly ahead of Wade, not really close.

On the other hand, for as good as he should be, Paine still not chanceless with the gloves so from that view would want him to improve.

As far as the batting is concerned, seem to be quite even with TP more likely to get a decent start but Wade more likely to cash in when he does get in. Diff people will value differently I guess.

Can understand either way, would take Paine myself.

adub

International Captain
+ 1 for anyone counting numbers for Wade to get a shot in front of Paine.

Hopefully new selection panel when selected will undertake their own review of all the contenders and there is a shake up about who is and isn't seen as the best and the rest.

Ruckus

International Captain
Far out, was just looking at Bollinger's profile on cricinfo, and while I had known his performances in ODIs have been really good, I didn't realise they were this good - 58 wickets @ 22.74 after 35 matches with a SR equivalent to Brett Lee! And unlike his test record, he has actually played a lot of his games against good batting sides. Damn good job so far.

adub

International Captain
Will be interesting seeing what influence if any Clarke's elevation to official selector will have on the make up of the side, or even the touring party. I could imagine he might say, well Dougeh's here and bowling well - I want him to stay. Or perhaps even call up a player from home (like maybe a spinner?) He does have a very short window of opportunity to exert some real influence and mold the team to suit his wishes seeing as he's the only selector with any sort of job security at the moment and also most likely to lose his job security if poor selections cruel his win percentage.

I reckon I'd be walking in and saying "this is the team fellas", and leaving it pretty much at that, no debate entered into.

He'll only get the one chance at this, because once a full time selector and Nielsen's replacement are in place his influence will be shared amongst two other guys with contracts and positions less dependent on personal performances, and a run of low scores could have his head in a noose.

Spark

Global Moderator
Will be interesting seeing what influence if any Clarke's elevation to official selector will have on the make up of the side, or even the touring party. I could imagine he might say, well Dougeh's here and bowling well - I want him to stay. Or perhaps even call up a player from home (like maybe a spinner?) He does have a very short window of opportunity to exert some real influence and mold the team to suit his wishes seeing as he's the only selector with any sort of job security at the moment and also most likely to lose his job security if poor selections cruel his win percentage.

I reckon I'd be walking in and saying "this is the team fellas", and leaving it pretty much at that, no debate entered into.

He'll only get the one chance at this, because once a full time selector and Nielsen's replacement are in place his influence will be shared amongst two other guys with contracts and positions less dependent on personal performances, and a run of low scores could have his head in a noose.
He's off to a decent start - dropping Haddin down the order.