• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

Jacknife

International Captain
Well I'm not sure about emulating Cook's approach because its never been Australian team's way to play like that also we don't even have a batsmen who could actually bat with that sort of patience. Whenever Australia has played good test cricket then we have normally scored our runs at a fair clip and hence provided our bowlers with ample runs and time to play with, likes of Hughes, Watto, Punter, Haddin, Mussey and Clarke are naturally fast scoring batsmen and they shouldn't crub their natural instincts, we batted poorly last summer because our shot selection was horrible and we paid the price for that.
I know Cook isn't too flash but he has a better strike rate in test cricket than Mussey and surprising enough only a point less than Watson. In terms of the way they play, Mussey plays very similar to Cook, as in he leaves all the good balls or defends them and scores off the loose deliveries, it's what really set them apart in the ashes last time.

howardj

International Coach
The thing about the graft is that it isn't required all the time. Even free scoring players should be able to trim their sails when conditions don't suit. Like they say - you can't score any if you're back in the shed. That's what we've been failing to do. See off good periods of bowling in order to make runs when conditions turn more in our favour. That was what guys like Steve Waugh and Border were masters at. Just hanging in and scrapping away to give themselves a chance. It seems on the face of it that this is the real influence of 20-20 and possibly the way guys like Gilchrist could counter attack. The idea that the best way out of tight spot is to try and blast your way out. Seeing off a good spell, or waiting for the pitch to come back to you just don't seem to have as much relevance to players these days. Blasting might work for a very small number of greats, but mostly playing straight and leaving as much as possible has proven the best method.

Also agree on the patience in the field. That's why I want to see Copeland playing test cricket. He has that 'this is what I bowl and you better get used to it cause it ain't gonna change' thing going that McGrath was the master of. All day long just hitting that line and length that gives you little to hit, allows a regulation field with slips, gully, point, cover and mid off, and bores the **** off the batsman until he plays at one he should leave.

That's why they play the game for 5 days. It's testing your mind most of all. Do you have the discipline to control your game or will you crack and do something silly to get yourself out or give the batsman a free hit. We've been cracking far too easily from 1 to 11. Great players who have shown the right stuff in the past, and younger players who haven't proven themselves were all cracking under the pressure the English applied last summer. Apart from Perth they saw off adversity much better than we did.

So yes like Howard I'd be happy if over summer we just saw signs of the team hardening the **** up. Batting tough for a session and then getting out soft and losing three quick wickets isn't good enough, bowling a good spell and coming back and bowling garbage isn't good enough. We have to show that we can eliminate most of our real crap, and if we have to sacrifice a bit of adventure to do it then so be it.
the voice of reason.

pup11

International Coach
As good as Katich was for the Australian test team he is hardly the best example to bring up when talking about resilience and application, there were numerous instances where he threw his wicket away after getting a substantial start by playing a lose shot.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As good as Katich was for the Australian test team he is hardly the best example to bring up when talking about resilience and application, there were numerous instances where he threw his wicket away after getting a substantial start by playing a lose shot.
I must have missed the memo when they officially changed the role of the opener.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Are we really going to do this? Do you really want me to find all the openers in history who aren't dashers? Pretty sure you can't win this battle.

Himannv

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with replacing Herath with Prasanna but why the **** did they drop Chandimal and not Silva? This is bloody insane stuff from the selectors. Honestly, the average person on the street would make better decisions that those idiots.

Lostman

State Captain
ha works for me:laugh:

Whats your side for the 4th ODI?

I got

Tharanga
Dilshan
Sanga
Jaya
Mathews
Silva
J.Mendis
Randiv
Kulasekera
Malinga
A. Mendis

Ruckus

International Captain
A mighty knock, that's for sure. Yeah, as you said, the conversion problem with him is really quite a recent thing. If you look at his batting graph, funnily enough the problem directly coincides with when Watson became an opener. I distinctly remember this whole period (mainly against the Windies and Pak at home, I believe) where they was this really palpable feeling of pressure whenever one of them got near a 100 - one would choke, and then all of a sudden the other one would start looking really shaky as well.

http://www.howstat.com/cricket/Statistics/Players/PlayerBatGraph.asp?PlayerID=2743

Spark

Global Moderator
A mighty knock, that's for sure. Yeah, as you said, the conversion problem with him is really quite a recent thing. If you look at his batting graph, funnily enough the problem directly coincides with when Watson became an opener. I distinctly remember this whole period (mainly against the Windies and Pak at home, I believe) where they was this really palpable feeling of pressure whenever one of them got near a 100 - one would choke, and then all of a sudden the other one would start looking really shaky as well.

HowSTAT! Player Batting Graph
Haha yeah that period was ridiculous.