• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in Sri Lanka

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Something's wrong with this thread (other than the fact Spikey keeps posting in it).

Says the last post is from Blaze Dragon yet Crabb the **** **** shows as the last post when I come in here.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah that seems to happen every now and then, for no real reason at all AFAIK.

howardj

International Coach
McGrath backs Copeland - Cricket - Sportal Australia

Thought this was interesting. Don't see him giving out interviews after retirement too often.
Copeland's accuracy and consitency is what our team is crying out for in my view. Somebody who can bowl consistent line and length, and doesn't get bored doing it. In many ways, it's what we missed last Summer with Harris when he was injured and Hauritz to a lesser extent when he was inexplicably omitted. Of the many great traits of Warne and McGrath, one of their best was that they were always at the batsman; they never got bored bowling line and length.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
TBH one could argue that Hilf was doing all of that during the Ashes. They really need someone who can consitently pitch the cherry up, and Harris found success because he was the only one of the bowlers to do this.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
TBH one could argue that Hilf was doing all of that during the Ashes. They really need someone who can consitently pitch the cherry up, and Harris found success because he was the only one of the bowlers to do this.
He was too wide and short of a length.

Top_Cat

Yeah and after dropping short, he'd retreat and just put the ball up there to stop them scoring. This goes part-way to explaining why his econ is so low but so was his wicket tally.

Hilf has struggled to get even FC batters out for a while now. Personally, lack of seam movement is killing his bowling. Seems to be more about going for big swing when early on, swing just complemented the massive seam movement he used to get naturally. Remember seeing it regularly in that big season he had a few years ago where balls would go through on a length and the 'keeper would take them in front of his chest.

adub

International Captain
Hilf bowled with too much width. You could just let him go as you knew if it was outside off it was going to stay outside off. Good batsmen just waited for the juicy ones and picked him off.

Copeland will bowl a bit shorter length, but he still makes you play because of his line. A comparison between how Copeland and Hilfenhaus take their first class wickets makes it pretty clear. Copes and Hilf are pretty even on bowled Copes with 18% to Hilfs 17%. For caught behinds Copes opens up a bit more gap 30% to 27%, but with lbw he clears out 20% to 13%. To me that is indicating a guy who is attacking the sticks despite his generally shorter length. His line and length are so good that you have to play and often knick them, but he has the ability to nip one in and hit the pads or knock you over. 68% (Hilf 57%) of his wickets bowled, lb or caught behind is a pretty telling stat. I knew from watching him that he was always at the batsman, but these numbers are pretty stark. I reckon that would be right up there with McGrath.

Just to show how telling (all first class wickets):
Siddle - b 18%, lbw 13%, cw 26%, total 57%
Harris - b 23% (wow), lb 17%, cw 22%, total 62%
Bollinger - b 17%, lb 14%, cw 30%, total 61%
Johnson - b 13%, lb 12%, cw 27%, total 52% (I suppose when you base your attack on getting batsmen to chase wide junk this is what your stats look like).

Now if Copeland had a crap average and strike rate or was going for heaps an over these stats might not mean a lot, but seeing as his FC average (21.68) is more than 6 runs lower than the next best (Siddle 27.79), his s/r (52.49) is second only to Dougie (51.57), and his rpo (2.47) smokes them all (Siddle again next best 3.08) I reckon we're looking at a pretty special talent even if he never bowls a ball over 130kmh.

It also shows to me that Harris and Dougie are our next most attacking bowlers who are going to pitch it up and make the batsmen play and why I don't rate Johnson.

Spikey

i'd say hilf is a massive pile of crap and copeland is not a massive pile of crap and leave it at that tbh

Top_Cat

Yeah let's not get too excited about Copeland yet. Hilf looked awesome and was taking bags before he entered the CA Fail Factory so we'll see what's left of Copeland to spit out once he's been in the set-up for a while.

howardj

International Coach
Hilf bowled with too much width. You could just let him go as you knew if it was outside off it was going to stay outside off. Good batsmen just waited for the juicy ones and picked him off.

Copeland will bowl a bit shorter length, but he still makes you play because of his line. A comparison between how Copeland and Hilfenhaus take their first class wickets makes it pretty clear. Copes and Hilf are pretty even on bowled Copes with 18% to Hilfs 17%. For caught behinds Copes opens up a bit more gap 30% to 27%, but with lbw he clears out 20% to 13%. To me that is indicating a guy who is attacking the sticks despite his generally shorter length. His line and length are so good that you have to play and often knick them, but he has the ability to nip one in and hit the pads or knock you over. 68% (Hilf 57%) of his wickets bowled, lb or caught behind is a pretty telling stat. I knew from watching him that he was always at the batsman, but these numbers are pretty stark. I reckon that would be right up there with McGrath.

Just to show how telling (all first class wickets):
Siddle - b 18%, lbw 13%, cw 26%, total 57%
Harris - b 23% (wow), lb 17%, cw 22%, total 62%
Bollinger - b 17%, lb 14%, cw 30%, total 61%
Johnson - b 13%, lb 12%, cw 27%, total 52% (I suppose when you base your attack on getting batsmen to chase wide junk this is what your stats look like).

Now if Copeland had a crap average and strike rate or was going for heaps an over these stats might not mean a lot, but seeing as his FC average (21.68) is more than 6 runs lower than the next best (Siddle 27.79), his s/r (52.49) is second only to Dougie (51.57), and his rpo (2.47) smokes them all (Siddle again next best 3.08) I reckon we're looking at a pretty special talent even if he never bowls a ball over 130kmh.

It also shows to me that Harris and Dougie are our next most attacking bowlers who are going to pitch it up and make the batsmen play and why I don't rate Johnson.
Very interesting post.

I enjoyed reading that.

Should have had you as my research assistant when I did my Ashes Aftermath paper earlier this year.

howardj

International Coach
Yeah let's not get too excited about Copeland yet. Hilf looked awesome and was taking bags before he entered the CA Fail Factory so we'll see what's left of Copeland to spit out once he's been in the set-up for a while.
The reverse of those Boags Draught ads....goes in good, comes out shockin'

Burgey

Well the word is Copeland bowls about one bad ball a week. If that's the case, fantastic, though barring injury I don't see him getting a gig this series vs SL.