• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan on Strauss/Dhoni

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Either that or it's a lot easier for us armchair punters to call for risk-taking than it is live, on the field, where it's you and your team's ass on the line if it doesn't work.

I'm not sure there are too many aggressive captains about, but there are a couple of fairly inventive ones.
Aggressive does not neccessarily equal good, just as much as defensive does not neccessarily equal bad.

Inventive and creative captaincy is really where it's at though.

Anku31

U19 Vice-Captain
I heard people are asking Bun to invest in a dictionary.Please,don't make fun of less English knowing people.It hurts man.
Today it was Bun,Tomorrow it could be........
'Me'......

:laugh:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Shows how wrong we were to consider Fleming an aggressive captain.
Depends, if you choose to rip up the dictionary like Bun has, you could redefine aggressive as "punching above his weight" and claim Fleming as aggressive.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Somewhere, there's a head of a village weeping for his lost idiot.

The Dictionary said:
characterized by or tending toward unprovoked offensives, attacks, invasions, or the like; militantly forward or menacing: aggressive acts against a neighboring country.
making an all-out effort to win or succeed; competitive: an aggressive basketball player.
vigorously energetic, especially in the use of initiative and forcefulness: an aggressive salesperson.
Key part bolded.

If you prefer it expressed mathematically:
Aggressive ≠ Successful
Aggressive = Enterprising
MS Dhoni ≠ Enterprising ∴ MS Dhoni = Defensive.
Stephen Fleming = Enterprising ∴ Stephen Fleming = Aggressive

Yay for logical fallacies :ph34r:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dhoni is the most aggressive captain in the world because he is captain of the world's best team.
Strauss Smith is the second most aggressive because he is the captain of the second best team.

It's all so obvious now.
Ficksed.

Flem274*

123/5
Bun, you are free to argue Dhoni is an aggressive captain all you like, but I want you to consult a dictionary before you make another post in this thread.

As for the rest of you, don't retaliate in such a manner. I'm looking at Marcuss and GIMH especially, because that was not an appropriate response and inexcusable. I have brought this thread to the attention of the moderation team.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Dhoni is not often a very aggressive captain in test matches. But he's a better captain than most of the aggressive captains I've seen in my life, if not all.

On a side note, Sachin Tendulkar is not the most aggressive batsman I've seen. But he's clearly the best I've seen.

Last edited:

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
Bun, you are free to argue Dhoni is an aggressive captain all you like, but I want you to consult a dictionary before you make another post in this thread.

Nonsense!

Bun....You will do no such thing.

Just insult their (those who disagree with you) mother.

Internet hillbillies can't hurt you if you insult their mother....trufax.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My friend's dad was the most aggressive gambler I've seen. He had to sell all his 2 houses within 6 months to clear the losses, and stays in rent with his family now.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Nonsense!

Bun....You will do no such thing.

Just insult their (those who disagree with you) mother.

Internet hillbillies can't hurt you if you insult their mother....trufax.
This guy deserves a trophy for making it to 190 posts.

kingjulian

U19 12th Man
Agreed...a smart captain is someone who can be aggressive and defensive as the situation demands, and sometimes change color in the same test match. I think Dhoni is a smart captain...well what he does works for him, so it's hard to say otherwise.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Dhoni is not often a very aggressive captain in test matches. But he's a better captain than most of the aggressive captains I've seen in my life, if not all.

On a side note, Sachin Tendulkar is not the most aggressive batsman I've seen. But he's clearly the best I've seen.
Clearly you've been listening to the Ian Chappell 'agressive=good' school of thought too much.

Bun

Banned

As for the rest of you, don't retaliate in such a manner. I'm looking at Marcuss and GIMH especially, because that was not an appropriate response and inexcusable. I have brought this thread to the attention of the moderation team.
good job. I agree stephen fleming was not just aggressive but also a very brainy captain.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I repeat: we need an "***Official*** Michael Vaughan Says Something Stupid" thread for this stuff.