• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England The Real Deal?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Tbf he was responding to GF ,who does the same in a opposite way.

Said Harbhajan singh was not in the same league as Swann and India bowlers were Bangladesh standard in the past.
In this thread is claiming a one way series ,a whitewash or a 3-0 win.
I could be wrong, but I'm sure Furball only made his 3-0 claim after gvenkat's post. Pretty sure gvenkat was just reacting to everyone who had claimed England are a good side.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Can anyone who follows Indian FC cricket explain Joginder Sharma's average to me? :p Does he play in the Plate League or something?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Praveen is a swing bowler primarily and swings the bowls more than others at the start in even when the bowl is not swinging.
Thus ,his style might be suited to certain ground and conditions in England.

To add to that he can keep it tight too ,and take wickets with the old ball too as he has shown in Indian domestic cricket.
It will be a kind of horses for courses selection ,but a good one.

In fact i would not be averse to taking a Gamble on Irfan Pathan in England tbh and just taking him as a extra man in the squad seeing as towards the end of the IPL he was getting his movement back and even troubled Sachin with it.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't exactly see him being a wrecking ball with the new ball TBH. And can see him becoming fodder for the likes of Pietersen and Trott after 10 or so overs. Ishant Sharma might bowl unthreatening rubbish, but can see him keeping the runs down at least (if he can sort out his no ball problems).

Also, I looked up Joginder Sharma's stats in FC cricket. He averages less than 21 over a pretty decent number of matches! :-O Made me wonder a bit about how seriously to take the stats.
Since when did Ishant start to keep the runs down when he was not bowling well?:p

He and Sreesanth both leak runs big time when they are not bowling well. In fact i would back Praveen to keep the runs down better than either in England,even in a wicketkeeper up to the stumps tight lines kind of role if he has to.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
How has RP Singh been in the recent past?
Really poor.

He wasn't a great FC bowler from the start or a great any type of bowler,tbh.:p

Did decently well in England last time with the ball swinging though in support of Zaheer while Sreesanth was largely rubbish.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Since when did Ishant start to keep the runs down when he was not bowling well?:p

He and Sreesanth both leak runs big time when they are not bowling well. In fact i would back Praveen to keep the runs down better than either in England,even in a wicketkeeper up to the stumps tight lines kind of role if he has to.
Just think his shorter natural length and bounce makes him harder to get away. Can see Pietersen walking down the track to Praveen, and smacking him on the onside. I've rarely if ever, seen him bowl a bouncer. Sree and Ishant, for all their other faults, at least have some decent pace and can bowl the occasional bouncer to keep batsmen honest. :p

EDIT : Hmm.. if the keeper stands up, then it's a different matter. But then he's reduced purely to a containing option.

gvenkat

State Captain
Rubbishing England.. Hmm!!! How about Rubbishing India by all and sundry here

I simply said that India are good for England at this moment. TBH, All England did was beat a waning Aussie side home and way. Just becuase it's the ashes does not mean anything. Bollocks or not that is what it is. For crying out loud, England could not beat WI in WI.

From 2009 till date Eng have lost to WI, Beaten WI and Aus at home. Drew with SA , Beat Aussies and Pak at home.

In the same time, India have beaten Aus at home, Drew SA home and away, Beat NZL home and away and drew with SL away.

So i don't see the big fuss about saying why India is a favorite here. If that is arrogance i wonder what about everyone rubbishing India's #1 ranking here, That is not arrogance?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The rankings tend to penalise players for not playing as much too. So that's impressive results from the South Africans. On the other hand, I don't think they take conditions into account.
IIRC they only penalise for missing games don't they?

Also, don't they kind of take conditions into account by looking at the overall runs scored etc. in a game?

Howe_zat

Audio File

I simply said that India are good for England at this moment. TBH, All England did was beat a waning Aussie side home and way. Just becuase it's the ashes does not mean anything. Bollocks or not that is what it is. For crying out loud, England could not beat WI in WI.

From 2009 till date Eng have lost to WI, Beaten WI and Aus at home. Drew with SA , Beat Aussies and Pak at home.

In the same time, India have beaten Aus at home, Drew SA home and away, Beat NZL home and away and drew with SL away.

So i don't see the big fuss about saying why India is a favorite here. If that is arrogance i wonder what about everyone rubbishing India's #1 ranking here, That is not arrogance?
How you list all that and still come the the conclusion that India have done significantly more is beyond me. Why deny what an achievement it was to hammer the Aussies in their own back yard?

As for the loss in WI, there is no denying that England were poor. But that was a very different side, and I tend to see it as the kick up the backside the team needed.

To put it in context, at around the same time Mitchell Jonson, Phil Hughes and Marcus North were winning Australia a series in South Africa, something no-one else has done for years, despite attaempts by both England and India.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain

What's with the 'Just becuase it's the ashes does not mean anything. Bollocks or not that is what it is', it means something because virtually, nobody goes to Australia and wins, let alone what England did to them. Who a couple months before said 'waning said', India struggled to beat in their own back yard, if they were so waning why didn't India give them a arseholing then .There's nothing like talking down England's achievements is there.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
jacknife,

while what england did to the aussies was mighty impressive, it is completely untrue to say that nobody was talking of their being a side not only on the wane but very much having waned. india did beat them 2-0 in a two test series. that is the most that any team can do in a two test series after all!