• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are England The Real Deal?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Officially, I think it was in 1979. They'd beaten Aus home and away (albeit against their 2nd/3rd XI) and had drawn their last series in the WI. Of course we all knew that WI were the best in the world at that time, and I don't think the league table was in existence anyway. Their position was just one of those anomalies that showed up when the league table was back-dated.

As has already been suggested they were probably number 1 after winning in Aus in 1971. But I think India took over for a while after winning in England in 1971 and the WI around the same time. Again, everyone would have known that SA were actually the best side in the world.

The last time they were unquestionably the best test side in the world was around 1955-1958.
Thanks for that.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Fair amount of time in the wilderness.
They've had a good side between then and now, especially the '79, '85 or '05 incarnations, but never been quite as good as the top team, be it WI or Australia. The real wilderness years were the 90s, ofc.

Edit: Also, what wpd said.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
When was the last time England were no.1 in tests?
Would hazard a guess at early 70s. After SA's isolation, but before Lillee & Thomson.
Officially, I think it was in 1979. They'd beaten Aus home and away (albeit against their 2nd/3rd XI) and had drawn their last series in the WI. Of course we all knew that WI were the best in the world at that time, and I don't think the league table was in existence anyway. Their position was just one of those anomalies that showed up when the league table was back-dated.

As has already been suggested they were probably number 1 after winning in Aus in 1971. But I think India took over for a while after winning in England in 1971 and the WI around the same time. Again, everyone would have known that SA were actually the best side in the world.

The last time they were unquestionably the best test side in the world was around 1955-1958.
The final few paragraphs of the article actually answer that question :p

gvenkat

State Captain
Ok. Let me try to understand this, England who conceded 400 to SL in the early part of the summer will roll over India eh? funny some of them saying 3-0.

Sri Lankans are supposedly a weak batting unit compared to India and less said about the bowling the better. Yes the last session in Cardiff was just freak. The whole premise is based on England beating a weakend Aussie side and SL in the first Test. They did not even manage to beat SA in SA.

An rejuvanated Indian side with Tendulkar, Sewag and Gambhir coming back and the bowlers if they select the right combo will beat England in England and this is during the latter part of the summer where India have historically done well. I will say 2-1 for India or a 1-1 result. It's highly unlikely India will lose this series.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ok. Let me try to understand this, England who conceded 400 to SL in the early part of the summer will roll over India eh? funny some of them saying 3-0.

Sri Lankans are supposedly a weak batting unit compared to India and less said about the bowling the better. Yes the last session in Cardiff was just freak. The whole premise is based on England beating a weakend Aussie side and SL in the first Test. They did not even manage to beat SA in SA.

An rejuvanated Indian side with Tendulkar, Sewag and Gambhir coming back and the bowlers if they select the right combo will beat England in England and this is during the latter part of the summer where India have historically done well. I will say 2-1 for India or a 1-1 result. It's highly unlikely India will lose this series.
Firstly, who said 3-0? Other than a few jokey posts from GIMH or GF. In seriousness, almost everyone thinks this will be close at least.

It's widely acknowledged that the Sri Lankans have a very good top 5, and batted reasonably well in the first innings on two rather flat wickets. The fact that England's bowling performance at Lord's was their worst in a year and they still got a first-innings lead and a winning position isn't to be sniffed at. Conceding 400 in the first innings is obviously not ideal but you can still win if you can beat that. India have been doing it that way for years.

The last session at Cardiff was freakish but it wasn't a one-off. England have bowled out sides for under 100 5 times in the last year, and every side they've played against since mid-2009 have found themselves all out for under 150 at least once.

What's this "weakened" Australia side? It was the Ashes for crying out loud. No-ones claiming they're as good as they were a few years ago, but come on, India have never won in Australia. And England absolutely schooled them over there. Got to be worth something.

As for beating SA in SA, well, neither did India. It's not easy. England did hammer them by an innings in one match, though. And they've improved since then.

If you think India are too good to lose in England, fair enough. No reason to deny they've got a formidable team, and I think it'll be close.

But I've no idea why you feel the need to rubbish everything England have achieved over the last couple of years. It's been damn impressive.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
:unsure: Not sure who here has been making either of those predictions.

A rejuvanated Indian side with Tendulkar, Sewag and Gambhir coming back and the bowlers if they select the right combo will beat England in England
Ok then.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sri Lankans are supposedly a weak batting unit compared to India
Not too much to choose between the Indian and SL batting line-ups in my view. I don't think that I'd be tempted to describe a line-up which includes Dilshan, Sangakkara, Samaraweera and Jayawardene "weak" by comparison with anyone.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Let me try to understand this, India who condeded 620 to South Africa at over 4 an over will roll over England eh? funny some of them saying India will win.

South African are supposedly a weak batting unit compared to England and less said about the bowling the better. Yes the last session in Durban was just freak. The whole premise is based on India beating a weakend Aussie side and NZ in the third Test. They did not even manage to beat SA in SA.

An rejuvanated England side with Anderson and Bresnan coming back and the batsmen if they select the right combo will beat India in England and this is during the latter part of the summer were England have historically done well. I will say 2-1 for England or a 3-1 result. It's highly unlikely England will lose this series.

Jacknife

International Captain
Let me try to understand this, India who condeded 620 to South Africa at over 4 an over will roll over England eh? funny some of them saying India will win.

South African are supposedly a weak batting unit compared to England and less said about the bowling the better. Yes the last session in Durban was just freak. The whole premise is based on India beating a weakend Aussie side and NZ in the third Test. They did not even manage to beat SA in SA.

An rejuvanated England side with Anderson and Bresnan coming back and the batsmen if they select the right combo will beat India in England and this is during the latter part of the summer were England have historically done well. I will say 2-1 for England or a 3-1 result. It's highly unlikely England will lose this series.
Loving your work GF.:clapping:

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Everyone leave gvenkat alone, it is quite obvious that he can see into the future. I wouldn't argue with somebody of such immense mental power.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
That was an arrogant post by gvenkat,england have a definite edge but that is because of their batting and our relatively avg bowling.It will be VERY difficult to win the series,but i can see a draw happening.Probably a draw 1-1 or england win 1-0 or 2-1 are most probable.Still 2-1 result is a little difficult to get meaning england need to get 20 wkts in 2 matches.I figure they can sneak 20 wkts in one match,but lets see.
Anyone seeing 3-1 or 3-0 is also acting arrogantly.Sri lanka field 3.5 world class batsmen.[sanga,jaya,dilshan and half samara].2of them greats.Also their[sanga.jaya] record in england is not upto their usual par[26 avg sanga,36 avg jaya].India field 6 world class batsmen with 4 greats.[sehwag,gambhir,dravid,tendulkar,kohli,laxman..not counting dhoni.]And they have a much better record in english conditions.[tendulkar 62,dravid 65,laxman 46,only sehwag 40 is below his par badly].So i really don't see us getting out twice 3 times in 4 matches.
My bet most likely draw or england by a slight margin.

gvenkat

State Captain
Not too much to choose between the Indian and SL batting line-ups in my view. I don't think that I'd be tempted to describe a line-up which includes Dilshan, Sangakkara, Samaraweera and Jayawardene "weak" by comparison with anyone.
Really? You think SL batting is on par with India? Sorry mate.. Samarweera is a Home bully and Sanga has failed time and again in England. Compare that to Dravid, Viru, Tendy and VVS.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Some great bumbworthy material in this thread for when the India - England series comes about.

Bookmarked this and guarantee some bumps. :laugh: