• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Potch is usually a road, so Rudolph must not rate the Bangladeshi batsman. Interesting that RSA went in with 4 quicks with no geniune spinner - Bangladesh bowled over 30 overs of spin yesterday. Ontong top scoring is predictable but all rather redundant. He won't ever play for South Africa again.
6 down for 80. Duck for Siddique and 14 from the captain.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Potch is usually a road, so Rudolph must not rate the Bangladeshi batsman. Interesting that RSA went in with 4 quicks with no geniune spinner - Bangladesh bowled over 30 overs of spin yesterday. Ontong top scoring is predictable but all rather redundant. He won't ever play for South Africa again.
They chose the wrong spinner, thats why. Either Dale Deeb or Dane Piedt should have been chosen. Don't know where Maharaj came from.

SeamUp

International Coach
Don't know what to make of this Potch pitch...normally has true bounce and a decent pace...so normally good for scoring but it does swing around early in the morning up in the highveld.

Because there hasn't been much domination with the bat in the match.

SeamUp

International Coach
SA U19 squad for their England tour in July has been announced.

My starting team..

Keaton JENNINGS (c)... LIONS
Quinton DE KOCK (+)... LIONS
James PRICE... WARRIORS
Regardt VERSTER... TITANS
Shaylen PILLAY... LIONS
Diego ROSIER... KNIGHTS
Malcolm NOFAL... LIONS
Calvin SAVAGE... DOLPHINS
Prenelan SUBRAYEN... DOLPHINS
Duanne OLIVIER... KNIGHTS
Rabian ENGELBRECHT... COBRAS

Bench: Gihahn CLOETE KNIGHTS, Lesiba NGOEPE TITANS, Corne DRY KINGHTS & Lizaad WILLIAMS COBRAS

A few unlucky players to miss out are Chad FORTUNE who has just been signed up by the Dolphins from the Cobras and the leg-spinner Lionel VAALTYN who is playing amateur cricket for EP and will most probably get a WARRIORS contract soon.

The most puzzling is how Jan FRYLINCK has been not chosen when he is ahead of Rabian ENGLELBRECHT and Lizaad WILLIAMS at Boland amateur mens side.

Another unlucky to miss out is Daryn DUPAVILLON.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
They chose the wrong spinner, thats why. Either Dale Deeb or Dane Piedt should have been chosen. Don't know where Maharaj came from.
Fairly redundant in the end. RSA seamers blew them away and Bangladesh lost by 272 runs. 8 wickets in the game for Alexander + career best bowling figures of 5 for 36.

1st unofficial Test: South Africa A v Bangladesh A at Potchefstroom, Apr 7-9, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Embarrassing result for Bangladesh, guys like Andrew Birch are not even first team starters in franchise cricket, pretty much a RSA D side. Good to see Kuhn in the runs. Wonder if the new coach will make the bold decision and replace Bouch with Kuhn in the test team.

Next 4 day game is at Pietermaritzburg, Maharaj should play there.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
SA U19 squad for their England tour in July has been announced.

A few unlucky players to miss out are Chad FORTUNE who has just been signed up by the Dolphins from the Cobras and the leg-spinner Lionel VAALTYN who is playing amateur cricket for EP and will most probably get a WARRIORS contract soon.

The most puzzling is how Jan FRYLINCK has been not chosen when he is ahead of Rabian ENGLELBRECHT and Lizaad WILLIAMS at Boland amateur mens side.

Another unlucky to miss out is Daryn DUPAVILLON.
Rabian went to the last U19 WC and is still only 18, so he must be fairly rated. Did nothing of note in the last WC mind but he is quickish (135kph+) and tall. Lionel Vaaltyn won't make the next WC and there is an emerging tour to Aus plus a tour to Zimbabwe in the summer, so he may get an opportunity there. Jan Frylinck only turned 17 last week so still plenty of time for him.

SeamUp

International Coach
The 2nd 'A' test match was ruined by rain.

Dean Elgar once again proves that when he goes past a hundred he goes on and gets a big one...169 not out.

Is that Elgar's 3rd or 4th SA 'A' hundred and I know the one against SRL 'A' was also a big one...170-odd.

With so many players playing in the IPL...there are some players who would be lucky to make a 4th SA side playing.

SA 'A' one-day squad

RUDOLPH (c)
BOSMAN
KHAN
ELGAR
VAN JAARSVELD
BEHARDIEN
KUHN
PHILANDER
ALEXANDER
ABBOTT
MBHALATI
MAHARAJ

I still can't get over how Maharaj is ahead of Deeb and Piedt. The only reason to me is that he is older and played for the academy last year.

SeamUp

International Coach
Rabian went to the last U19 WC and is still only 18, so he must be fairly rated. Did nothing of note in the last WC mind but he is quickish (135kph+) and tall. Lionel Vaaltyn won't make the next WC and there is an emerging tour to Aus plus a tour to Zimbabwe in the summer, so he may get an opportunity there. Jan Frylinck only turned 17 last week so still plenty of time for him.
I'm just not impressed by Engelbrecht...far too erratic and he didn't make the SA Schools side in December as he was hit around. No doubt has pace and will get bounce with his height.

To me Frylick is better than Engelbrecht even though he is younger. He is 17 but so Rosier and Pillay.

I still thinks its an impressive u19 side...definitely as good as if not better than Parnell's side. The likes of De Kock, Pillay, Rosier, Savage and Olivier are all excellent. Price, Verster & Subrayen are all very good as well.

I think quite a few of them can go the full way and make the SA national side and if not definitely franchise cricket. The only one's in my starting line-up who I think will struggle to make franchise cricket is Jennings, Nofal and Engelbrecht.

Duanne Olivier recently was bowler of the week in the SA Coke week. He bowled at Morne Van Wyk, Reeza Hendricks and Dean Elgar in the SA schools game and ended up with 7 overs 1-17 when everyone got hit around.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Quite a few SA's playing in England this season.

Tsotsobe (Essex), Parnell (Sussex), Tahir (Hampshire) and Petersen (Glamorgan) are all playing as over-see pro's.

David Miller (Durham), Johan Botha (Northants), Ryan McLaren (Middlesex) are just playing the T20 comp.

Friedel De Wet & Neil McKenzie (Both Hamps), Zander De Bruyn (Surrey), Claude Henderson (Leicester) are Kolpak.

Other SA players playing who don't play in SA domestic comps anymore...Benkenstein & Michel Richardson (Both Durham), Johan Myburgh & Nic Pothas (Hampshire), Charl Willoughby & Alfonso Thomas (Both Somerset), Kirk Wernars (Sussex), Ant Botha & Neil Carter (Warks), Gerard Brophy (Yorkshire), Tim Groenewald, Wayne Madsen & Greg Smith (Derby), Ryan ten Doeschate (Essex), Martin Van Jaarsveld (Kent), Jacques Du Toit (Leicester), Gareth Berg & Dawid Malan (Middlesex), and Andrew Hall (Northants).

Obviously there are others under the England radar and are officialy English now like the obvious 2 in Trott and KP...others like Michael Lumb, Craig Kieswetter, Jade Dernbach and Stuart Meaker.

SeamUp

International Coach
The academy side are in Bangladesh again this year. Here is a report of the 1st 4-day game.

The GP-BCB National Cricket Academy are lurching towards a massive innings defeat after yet another poor batting performance yesterday, the penultimate day of their four-day game against South Africa Cricket Academy at the Fatullah Cricket Stadium.

They require another 164 runs to make the visitors bat again but just have four wickets in hand. At the end of the third day's play, the Academy side were 200 for six in their second innings after following on to the South African selection's 581 all out. Earlier in the day, the hosts made 218 in their first innings.

Rony Talukdar and Shuvogoto Hom missed half-centuries in the second dig as they withstood another barrage from the visitors. Hardus Viljoen took three wickets while off-spinner Dane Piedt picked up both openers.

In the first innings, Mominul Haque Sourav and Mahmudul Hasan added 120 runs for the sixth wicket, both batsmen completing half-centuries in the process. But the face-saving stand did little to help statistically as they fell 364 runs adrift of the visitors' first innings score.

Viljoen and Dane Paterson shared the ten wickets to fall equally, the two opening bowlers running through the Academy batting line-up quite easily.

Alauddin Babu and Myshukur Rahman are unbeaten in their twenties as they will begin the fourth and final day with a mountain to climb.

BRIEF SCORES
SOUTH AFRICA CRICKET ACADEMY: First innings 581 all out.

GP-BCB NCA: First innings 218 all out in 60 overs (Mominul 76, Mahmudul 62; Paterson 5-76, Viljoen 5-71) and second innings 200-6 in 52 overs (Rony 48, Shuvogoto 47; Viljoen 3-39

SeamUp

International Coach
Dean Elgar has done a recovery job and has got his 50 up.

140/6 now with 12 overs remaining.

EL can be slow and low...220 may be a good score.

Last edited:

cricman

International 12th Man
Bangladesh 'A' Take the 1st ODI by 6 Wickets

BD 'A' 229/4 (Ashraful 118*, Siddique 60)
SA 'A' 226/8 (Philander 79*, Elgar 76)

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
The Ashraful once in a blue moon century...The South African attack was laughable. Tough ask to defend 229 with a wet ball when you only have 3 franchise level bowlers and only one of them (Mbhalati) is any good in that format. Need to drop Khan, bring in an extra bowler, preferably someone half decent and get the better batsman (Kuhn) up the order.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
BRIEF SCORES

GP-BCB NCA: First innings 218 all out in 60 overs (Mominul 76, Mahmudul 62; Paterson 5-76, Viljoen 5-71) and second innings 200-6 in 52 overs (Rony 48, Shuvogoto 47; Viljoen 3-39
Did they win?

CSA not covering the series, nor is Cricinfo.

cricman

International 12th Man
Did they win?

CSA not covering the series, nor is Cricinfo.
Academy taught a lesson

Paceman Hardus Viljoen took seven wickets in the second innings as South Africa Cricket Academy crushed GP-BCB National Cricket Academy by an innings and 58 runs at the Fatullah Cricket Stadium yesterday.

The 22-year-old Viljoen, who plays for Easterns, took his match tally to 12 wickets for 126 runs. In the second innings the home side were bowled out for 305 runs in 81.5 overs.

Only lower-order bats,am Alauddin Babu slammed eleven boundaries in his 120-ball 80 runs, but none of the recognised batsman even reached the 50-mark.

Viljoen removed Asif Ahmed, Shuvogoto Hom Chowdhury, Mahmudul Hasan, Myshukur Rahman, Shaker Ahmed, Shubhashish Roy and Al-Amin Hossain in what could easily be described as brilliant and ruthless.

But unfortunately for the Witbank-born Viljoen, Christiaan Schoeman was adjudged the man-of-the-match for his first innings double-century.

SCORES IN BRIEF

GP-BCB NCA: First innings 218 all out and second innings 305 all out in 85.1 overs (Alauddin 80, Shuvogoto 47; Viljoen 7-55).

Result: South Africa Cricket Academy won by an innings and 58 runs.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dean Elgar captained the SA 'A' side again in the last game against the Bangers. Definitely has the potential to be a future SA captain.

SeamUp

International Coach
CALVIN SAVAGE

CALVIN Savage will be juggling textbooks with passports, after the lanky Maritzburg College all-rounder was named in the South Africa U19 squad to tour England in July.

Having recovered from a worrying back injury, Savage says he can hardly wait to represent his country at some of the most prestigious grounds in the United Kingdom.

“I am really excited and I cannot wait to get over there,” he told The Witness yesterday.

“I actually saw the announcement on the Cricket South Africa website after one of my friends had said I had been selected. I didn’t believe him, but I was chuffed when I saw the confirmation,” he added.

Another carrot dangling in front of Savage is that the first match, a one-dayer against England U19, will be televised on British screens.

“I am really hoping to be in that side, and then hopefully kick on from there,” he said excitedly.

Savage has played for the College first XI since 2008, and is currently the captain.

Intriguingly, he has yet to take a five-for in school colours, but has racked up a rich harvest of wickets elsewhere.

“It’s weird, but I hope to set that right before I leave,” he resolved.

Savage also explained that he has fully recovered from his back injury, and that he can’t wait to operate at full throttle again.

“I haven’t bowled too much this year, but I did bowl at full pace in the last game of the term against Westville and felt fine.”

Savage is one of the province’s most promising talents, and with a dearth of fast bowlers coming through the ranks, his development is being watched with interest.

“I would love to play cricket as a career, but we will have to see what the future holds,” he admits.

Savage is close friends with former College star and current Dolphins and Proteas batsman David Miller, and he says he would love to follow in those footsteps.

“I have known Dave for years now, and it is amazing to see how far he has gone. I would obviously love to play with him in the same team,” he added with determination.

Although the tour is exciting enough, the 2010 schools Pro20 player of the year is keen to use the trip as a leg up to another big ambition.

“I am still eligible to go to the U19 World Cup in Australia next year, so hopefully I can do well on this trip and get on that plane, too.”

http://www.witness.co.za/index.php?showcontent&global%5B_id%5D=58758

Last edited: