• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

WHY do they say this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
But anyway regarding the comparison by Simon Hughes, he is just trying to secure a contract in the IPL. I'm sure he is laughing at his own analysis that Tendulkar was a better batsmen.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Bradman may have had old-school gentlemanly persuasions, but even he wasn't that humble.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
They're just sucking up to the Indians, simple as. Indians are whores for flattery, just look at those awful IPL ad's in which they make the players read ridiculous scripts about how great the IPL and India are.
Some of those ads are just hilariously stupid, especially the one with Bowden for the WC 2011. :laugh:

Oh and mind the language please.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Bradman may have had old-school gentlemanly persuasions, but even he wasn't that humble.
Humble isn't the best word to describe him. On having a knighthood:

Don Bradman said:
...But I have consciously shouldered these burdens because I felt that I was the medium through which cricket could achieve a higher status and gain maximum support from the people, not only in Australia but throughout the world.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Also his reply to being asked what he would average nowadays and he made a crack that even in his old age he would average highly. I forget the exact line.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Anyone who says that loses their credibility for mine. There are some less major but more widespread notions that completely baffle me too though such as Lara/Tendulkar>Kallis, Ambrose>Pollock et al.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
Tendulkar is not even clearly the best batsman of his own era, let alone even being near Bradman.
no. he is indubitably the best batsman of his generation. tests or odis.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sanga > Sehwag seems to be an accepted CWism, totally disagree.

vcs

Sanga is under nowhere near the same level of scrutiny of Sehwag who gets people on his back calling him an overrated FTB hack even if he fails in the occasional series against Steyn in tough conditions that are completely unsuited to his style. Basically, there seems to be a legion of people waiting for him to fail so they can justify some of their theories on how he's fluked his runs all along.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
the summer series will be a massive test for sanga and sehwag.

sangakkara needs to plug some big holes in his cv before being labelled a great batsman: doing well in say 2 out of india, the windies, saf, and england.

i am confident that he will do just fine.

vcs

Hopefully 3. It will be a joke if SL still have to settle for 2-match series in places like England, SA, Australia etc. Though they did play (and draw) a 3-match series in England in 2006, if memory serves me right.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
no. he is indubitably the best batsman of his generation. tests or odis.
It's a valid opinion to think he's the best but it's certainly not indisputable. Ikki's point is completely correct (although saying the difference was akin to Pele-Bent was perhaps stretching it :p).

Teja.

Global Moderator
That bastard Ikki stole the Bent-Pele idea from my Crouch-Pele variant of the difference between the two in a previous thread, IMO. :ph34r:

vcs

Agree with GIMH that that particular analogy is stretching it though, if not a tad disrespectful to Tendulkar.

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Hopefully 3. It will be a joke if SL still have to settle for 2-match series in places like England, SA, Australia etc. Though they did play (and draw) a 3-match series in England in 2006, if memory serves me right.
SRL were originally given one-off tests after the main series of the summer. This went went from an English point of view until we found out what Murali could do on dry later summer wickets :happy: Far safer thereafter to get them on greentops in the spring :dry:

The 2006 series was very good with SRL pulling off one of the great rearguards in the first Test (a game that may have taken years off Flintoff's career) before England got Murali-ed again in the third. A hard-fought 1-1 in the end.

The best thing about this year is not just the three tests (anything less would be unacceptable in my view) but that they don't start too early. Only one game falls into May and, with the India series finishing before the end of August, it looks set up to be an outstanding schedule of Test cricket this summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.