• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

SeamUp

International Coach
Diego Rosier batting at 3 for Griquas and has got a good start...future player for the Knights.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
100 for Albie. Came in when the Titans were in trouble. Averages over 55 in franchise cricket with 5 hundreds and 1 double. Not bad for a number six.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
If you include RSA and RSA A, Albie averages over 60 with the bat in FC cricket with close to 3,000 runs. Still only considered a lower order slogger to the national selectors though which is a shame. Justin Kemp batted as high as 5 in ODIs and played test cricket as a batsman, Albie never got or is given those opportunities.

SeamUp

International Coach
100 for Albie. Came in when the Titans were in trouble. Averages over 55 in franchise cricket with 5 hundreds and 1 double. Not bad for a number six.
Yeah I saw that. I just wonder what the next 2 years are going to hold for him. Has so much ability but lets himself down to often. I think he also is very critical of himself and his morale is easily affected by that.

His test debut with the bat was very solid against Australia and definitely has an impressive franchise record.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I saw that. I just wonder what the next 2 years are going to hold for him. Has so much ability but lets himself down to often. I think he also is very critical of himself and his morale is easily affected by that.

His test debut with the bat was very solid against Australia and definitely has an impressive franchise record.
Don't let him bowl at the death, max five or so overs, possibly open with the new ball if its swinging and give him more time at the crease. Should bat top 5 in 20/20s and could bat six in ODIs. Would be my choice to replace Kallis in limited overs cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Don't let him bowl at the death, max five or so overs, possibly open with the new ball if its swinging and give him more time at the crease. Should bat top 5 in 20/20s and could bat six in ODIs. Would be my choice to replace Kallis in limited overs cricket.
At the moment he definitely has to be the player with the best chance to replace Kallis in the ODI XI as the batting all-rounder.

I think it will be interesting to see who the SA coach is because he will be key to what the future plans are of SA ODI and test team.

I hope Kallis carries on playing ODI cricket after the WC...especially the big series and see how things go into the future.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dane Vilas is the overseas pro for the First XI of the club I'm joining.
Very good striker of the ball. Likes to be very positive and has quick hands. One of those players who are capable of making a 6 over cover look easy.

A decent keeper to.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah, I think he said he didn't want to keep but he might end up doing so in T20s. Am looking forward to getting a look at him.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Pienaar is a weird one.

But when I saw him bowl for the 1st time...he was hitting about 120kmph so that put to bed for me he was front-liner unless he has slowed down and concentrated on his batting.

Always could bat...batted quite high for SA u19.
Yeah Pienaar bowls lollipops. He's good at holding up an end and takes wickets on those dire wickets for the amateur league. May he could be Klusener type bowler post injury.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Very good striker of the ball. Likes to be very positive and has quick hands. One of those players who are capable of making a 6 over cover look easy.

A decent keeper to.
Yeah. Very similar type of batsman to McCullum. Very front foot and one of the very few guys who can cover drive for six with ease. Shame he hasn't pushed on with the Cobras but Ryan Canning is a proper keeper and Puttick also can do that role and adds more stability with the bat. Should carve it up with Marcuss. :)

Last edited:

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ahh, I wish I could say I'd be playing with him but as it stands we'll only be at the same club. Might have the opportunity to net with him during the season, we'll see.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Been calling for Yaseen Yallie's franchise debut for years on here, plays first game for the Cobras last week in the unfamiliar position of opener, scores a big hundred (career best - 163) in the first innings and follows that in the second innings with a run-a-ball 79. Career best figures (7-92) for 21 year old offie, Dan Piedt on franchise debut as well.

Briony

International Debutant
Obus Pienaar makes a very quick ton where the batsmen above him fail. Isn't he meant to be a player of promise?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Obus Pienaar makes a very quick ton where the batsmen above him fail. Isn't he meant to be a player of promise?
Yeah but the initial promise was with the ball. He only batted as high as six for the RSA U19s, Parnell use to bat as high as 5 but Pienaar seems to have really kicked on with the bat this season. Just one away from a double 100.

Knght 353/5 (84.0 ov, R McLaren 17*, AJ Pienaar 199*, NE Mbhalati 1/64) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Awful Titans attack mind. All of the bowling attacks currently on show are rank awful expect the Cobras who at least have a seasoned, competent FC attack. Dave Miller currently unbeaten on 81 for the Dolphins, good chance for him to get only his second FC 100 and to go big. Kid is too talented to have a sub 30 average.

cricman

International 12th Man
Don't know whether or not to make a Thread, but this seems the right place

Bangladesh A is touring South Africa A next week, 2 FC and 5 OD's. BD-A is led by the hopeless one Ashraful but theres some really promising youngsters in players like Saqlain Sajib and Noor Hossian. Also Shahadat (It seems he's regained his Pace) will lead the Pace Attack, along with Syed Rasel who after a long time it seems has gotten over his Injuries.

Briony

International Debutant
Don't know whether or not to make a Thread, but this seems the right place

Bangladesh A is touring South Africa A next week, 2 FC and 5 OD's. BD-A is led by the hopeless one Ashraful but theres some really promising youngsters in players like Saqlain Sajib and Noor Hossian. Also Shahadat (It seems he's regained his Pace) will lead the Pace Attack, along with Syed Rasel who after a long time it seems has gotten over his Injuries.
Think that a lot of the SA youngsters are in the IPL and some have pulled out so it's a big opportunity for the Bangers.

Notice Pienaar starred again in the second innings around mediocrity. Looks like he might have a bit of a future in the game.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Think that a lot of the SA youngsters are in the IPL and some have pulled out so it's a big opportunity for the Bangers.

Notice Pienaar starred again in the second innings around mediocrity. Looks like he might have a bit of a future in the game.
It is, also it’s late in the season so the wickets should be on the slowish side and not too troubling for the Bangladeshi batsman. The Cobras were opening with spin from both ends in their FC game against the Warriors. Still fancy South Africa heavily given the batting is fairly solid but they haven't got the pace attack to frighten anyone.

cricman

International 12th Man
Odd Decison by Rudolph to declare at 301/7, Granted the New Ball was taken and the most favorable result for SA would have been maybe 50 more runs. I think he probably thought he was going to pry a few more Wickets than Shamsur but that wicket does put a bit pressure on Bangladesh 'A'.

Should be Intresting to see if they can make a game of it and post a decent Total

BdshA 12/1 (4.5 ov, Nazimuddin 3*, NE Mbhalati 1/2) - Stumps | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Potch is usually a road, so Rudolph must not rate the Bangladeshi batsman. Interesting that RSA went in with 4 quicks with no geniune spinner - Bangladesh bowled over 30 overs of spin yesterday. Ontong top scoring is predictable but all rather redundant. He won't ever play for South Africa again.