• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Final 2 - India v Australia

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
I think Tendy is the key here. Remember the WC 2003 match against Pakistan? The Pakistan attack of 2003 was much better than this Aus attack yet India won. So it is not like the Indian team cannot handle express pace or good quality pace. Although because of lack of practice against express pace India probably would find it tougher than let's say Pakistan
Pakistan bowled utter crap in that match, in fact most of that tournament. Won't expect the same from Aussies apart from maybe Tait. And their fielding is far superior to Pakistan. But that doesn't mean Indians would not play like that. Yes, the chances are less. And because of the awesome record Australia have in India and in knock outs every team would be worried let alone Indians.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
I would be worried about this if I was Indian

"But the Australians know that, as formidable as India's batting line-up is, there is always the possibility of a collapse. Against South Africa, India lost their last nine wickets for 29 runs; against England they lost their their last seven for 33; and against West Indies their last seven were skittled for 50."

Is there somebody in the Indian team who can block the wickets from one end somebody like Dravid?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would be worried about this if I was Indian

"But the Australians know that, as formidable as India's batting line-up is, there is always the possibility of a collapse. Against South Africa, India lost their last nine wickets for 29 runs; against England they lost their their last seven for 33; and against West Indies their last seven were skittled for 50."

Is there somebody in the Indian team who can block the wickets from one end somebody like Dravid?
Wont make any difference unless they know how many runs they need to score :laugh:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pakistan bowled utter crap in that match, in fact most of that tournament. Won't except the same from Aussies apart from maybe Tait. And their fielding is far superior to Pakistan. But that doesn't mean Indians would not play like that. Yes, the chances are less. And because of the awesome record Australia have in India and in knock outs every team would be worried let alone Indians.
I don't think Pakistan bowled crap in that match. But yeah, Australia's fielding is several notches higher than Pakistan's that day.. they dropped Sachin in the 30s. I would also say this batting lineup is a bit superior to what we had then, despite all the recent collapses. Especially when you take the conditions into account.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't think Pakistan bowled crap in that match. But yeah, Australia's fielding is several notches higher than Pakistan's that day.. they dropped Sachin in the 30s. I would also say this batting lineup is a bit superior to what we had then, despite all the recent collapses. Especially when you take the conditions into account.
ditto.........Pakistan didn't bowl that badly tbh it was that they dropped Sachin off Wasim and that really hurt them..........

Sylvester

State Captain
You don't really need to target the Aussie bowlers, they will usually bowl you balls to hit. Even Lee has proven to be hittable in this WC, Johnson and Tait naturally do that. If they are on song which hasn't happened in this WC then they ain't much you can do.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Press interviews aren't about sober analysis, players and coaches also try to get into the heads of the oppo. If India are stupid enough to take what he says on-board, it's worked hasn't it? We're talking professional athletes here, not analysts. He mentions specific players in the line-up as key and suggests that if they fail, India will too. That might put more pressure on them to do well in their own minds. Or it might not but it's 100% more likely to do so than if you don't say it.
I think what I am advocating is a similar mind-game tactic with an important difference: he is relying on them to screw-up; whereas I think we should be confident in our own abilities. As much as the interview may get into the minds of the Indians, it will also send a message to our own players and IMO that is a weak one - essentially, we're trying to put the onus on them, the pressure on them, because we need it to win.

Maybe it's a small difference, but I'd much rather the attitude is "I don't care what India do...as long as we do what we know we can do, we'll win".

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
I did not say that this batting line up would fail miserably. They might score big as well. But looking at the Aussie bowling attack i would be worried. Because if we crack in the batting department, i think we are in trouble with the average bowling line up. So that puts more pressure on batting. And if we are susceptible to anything it is this kinda bowling. Aussies have bowled well in India in the past and won different odi series unlike many other teams. And their record in knocks outs just scares you.

Spark

Global Moderator
I think what I am advocating is a similar mind-game tactic with an important difference: he is relying on them to screw-up; whereas I think we should be confident in our own abilities. As much as the interview may get into the minds of the Indians, it will also send a message to our own players and IMO that is a weak one - essentially, we're trying to put the onus on them, the pressure on them, because we need it to win.

Maybe it's a small difference, but I'd much rather the attitude is "I don't care what India do...as long as we do what we know we can do, we'll win".
Yeah I'd prefer this.

pup11

International Coach
He did that during the Tests. Worked out surprisingly well.
It was Hilfenhaus who troubled Sehwag with the short delivery in that series, anyways I just hope Mitch put his mind into getting his radar right rather than trying to go around making such noises.

Moving onto the big game was watching Punter's interview last night, he looked pretty positive and pumped and felt that the all round criticism of him and his team would motivate them to do better.

When asked about the likely team for the QF he gave a slight hint by saying that both Ferguson and Dussey are looking really good in the nets. So it won't be really surprising if either one of them if not both play tomorrow.

Spark

Global Moderator
I meant in general, tbh. The short ball tactic did actually work really well, got him at least three times in the four innings, forgotten how he got out in the last.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm sure I saw that article sometime last year when Australia toured India.

EDIT : Well, not that exact one, but something on similar lines.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
It looks as if it was taking quotes from the presser today but it does look very similar to an article that went around last year.

Looks increasingly like the team might change for tomorrow.

pup11

International Coach
I disagree

I think Watson is key

Then Hussey
No way Watson is that important, he usually just gets out after making a 50 so he is hardly the most dependable figure in the side.

For me the key is how our middle order plays during the middle overs and then how they finish off the innings, and of course one guy alone won't be able to ensure all that.

So what we really need is everyone from Ponting to Hussey to Clarke realising their role and playing accordingly rather than expecting one or two blokes to do most of the work.