• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

SeamUp

International Coach
The Nashua Dolphins return to SuperSport Series action this week when they play the Chevrolet Knights at the PMB Oval in Pietermaritzburg from Thursday March 24 to Sunday 27.

The squad includes a few new faces from the one that played in their last four day game. Keagan Eccles, Abdul Haq Razak, Brady Barends and Sumanth Sunkari are all included while regular starters Kyle Abbott and Ahmed Amla along with Matthew Hulett are out through injury.

Pietermaritzburg fans of the Dolphins are encouraged to pack a picnic basket and enjoy the match at the picturesque PMB Oval. Its the perfect way to get close to the players for autographs and entrance is free.
Play starts at 9.30.

Squad:
Imraan Khan (Captain), Divan van Wyk, Daryn Smit, Devon Conway, Jon Kent, Keshav Maharaj, David Miller, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Keagan Eccles, Abdul Haq Razak, Brady Barends and Sumanth Sunkari.

SeamUp

International Coach
The Nashua Dolphins return to SuperSport Series action this week when they play the Chevrolet Knights at the PMB Oval in Pietermaritzburg from Thursday March 24 to Sunday 27.

The squad includes a few new faces from the one that played in their last four day game. Keagan Eccles, Abdul Haq Razak, Brady Barends and Sumanth Sunkari are all included while regular starters Kyle Abbott and Ahmed Amla along with Matthew Hulett are out through injury.

Pietermaritzburg fans of the Dolphins are encouraged to pack a picnic basket and enjoy the match at the picturesque PMB Oval. Its the perfect way to get close to the players for autographs and entrance is free.
Play starts at 9.30.

Squad:
Imraan Khan (Captain), Divan van Wyk, Daryn Smit, Devon Conway, Jon Kent, Keshav Maharaj, David Miller, Vaughn van Jaarsveld, Keagan Eccles, Abdul Haq Razak, Brady Barends and Sumanth Sunkari.
This just about confirms that Quinton Friend may be leaving the Dolphins. Especially that they didn't mention he was injured with the regualrs. The signings of Chad Fortune and Brendan Young and Calvin Savage finishing school this year hints he may be leaving.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
What's happened to Tabraiz Shamsi? Not played any cricket since November.

As for the Warriors, its all well and good resting the senior players but most of their replacements are neverbeens. Hardly like they are blooding youngsters and U19 talent. Shame Sinethemba Mjekula broke down for them a few years back. He looked a good prospect.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
What's happened to Tabraiz Shamsi? Not played any cricket since November.

As for the Warriors, its all well and good resting the senior players but most of their replacements are neverbeens. Hardly like they are blooding youngsters and U19 talent. Shame Sinethemba Mjekula broke down for them a few years back. He looked a good prospect.
Shamsi has just disappeared off the face of the earth. Has to be a serious injury because they had just signed him. The u19 spinner, Prenelan Subrayen (Glenwood School) is dominating club cricket in Durban so he is also going to be in the mix soon.

I don't know what the Warriors are doing tbh...they are rock bottom and they could have given their outstanding talent, Lionel Vaaltyn, a go. Sure he may get 2-130 but they surely needed to bleed him now when it doesn't count. Seem to be giving hacks like M. Price, Bennett, Meyer a go. I think Mjekula is playing for Border amateur now.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Another one to have disappeared is old Monde Zondeki. Doesn't even play for WP amateur.
Cackdeki turned out for WP last month but probably got injured soon after. Still only 28 but career has effectively been finished for years.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yaseen Vallie is getting his debut for Cobras in the crucial top-of-the-table SuperSport series match against the Titans. Merchant De Lange is also getting his debut for the Titans.

COBRAS
Andrew Puttick, Yaseen Vallie, Stiaan Van Zyl, Owais Shah, Justin Ontong, Justin Kemp, Ryan Canning (+), Johann Louw, Dane Piedt, Claude Henderson, Charl Langevledt.

TITANS
Jacques Rudolph, Pieter Malan, Henry Davids, Farhaan Behardien, Heino Kuhn (+), Albie Morkel, Shaun von Berg, Eden Links, Hardus Vijoen, Marchant De Lange, Ethy Mbhalati.

Big changes for the Warriors and Lions who cannot win the SSS so bleeding some young players. Quint De Kock, the Lions keeper, is the most exciting.

LIONS
Stephen Cook, Dominic Hendricks, Temba Bavuma, Jean Symes, Zander De Bruyn, Quinton De Kock (+), Brett Pelser, Shane Burger, Dale Deeb, Craig Alexander, Ethan O'Reilly.

WARRIORS
Michael Price, Bevan Bennett, Jon-Jon Smuts, Arno Jacobs, Craig Thyssen, Justin Kreusch, Kelly Smuts, Lyall Meyer, Andrew Birch, Basheer Walters, Reece Williams.

The Dolphins are also playing a really young side, while the Knights have a mix.

DOLPHINS
Imraan Khan, Divan Van Wyk, Devon Conway, Vaughn Van Jaarsveld, Jon Kent, David Miller, Daryn Smit (+), Abdul Haq Razak, Keagan Eccles, Brady Barends, Keshav Maharaj.

KNIGHTS
Dean Elgar, Reeza Hendricks, Rilee Rossouw, Ryan Bailey, Obus Pienaar, Adrian McLaren (+), Ryan McLaren, Charl Pietersen, Dillon Du Preez, Michael Erlank, Gino Vries.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Great to see the youngsters getting a go. Shame no Levi for the Cobras. Duck for de Kock and not many for Hendricks but the Lions attack is pretty exciting if not much depth. Dolphins attack is truly scary in how bad it is, KwaZulu amateur can field a better bowling line-up. R Hendricks, Elgar and Rossouw must be kicking themselves for not going big. Interesting that Obus Pienaar is batting 5 for the Knights and no longer seems to be a frontline quick, was bowling second change in provincial cricket last week.

SeamUp

International Coach
I see Levi, Vilas and Beuran Hendricks (Left-armer who bowls about 140) are playing for WP. Also Rory Kleinvledt's younger brother, Matthew has got a 100 for them. Philander must be injured and I think Rory and Rippon are the 2 players to miss out for Cobras. 16-year-old Jan Frylinck is getting his 3-day debut for Boland in the WP match.

Both Titans and Cobras playing 2 spinners. Piedt has the most perfect and rythmic action I have seen for an off-spinner.

The Dolphins have had quick bowling problems for some time. They pretty much only have Friend and Abbott and Kent is the 3rd seamer. They couldn't wait for Savage and Dupavillon to finish at Maritzburg College so they had to go and get Young and Fortune (tennis-elbow). Supposedly Matt Hulett was going to play this game but is injured. Also i see this new LB bowler for the Dolphins, Razak, played for SA u19's. There's quite a few spinners now in Durban with Asian roots. Elgars season has been unusual for him...normally kicks on and makes hundreds but this season he has regualrly got to 70 or 80 and got out.

The Lions really have gone the futures root as Graham Hume is also 12th man. There is no Petersen, McKenzie, Vandiar, Bodi, Tsolekile, Frylinck, De Wet, Harris, Deacon, Coetsee and Matshikwe.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Pienaar is a weird one.

But when I saw him bowl for the 1st time...he was hitting about 120kmph so that put to bed for me he was front-liner unless he has slowed down and concentrated on his batting.

Always could bat...batted quite high for SA u19.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Makes no sense that the Lions dropped those guys as the vast majority of them will still be turning out for them next season and the likes of Virus and Vandiar need runs. The franchise has a lot of depth but no real quality and they don't have a great record of bringing through or producing international cricketers. Guys like Jean Symes careers have stagnated while Vandiar would have been better off staying with the Dolphins and working with Graham Ford.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pienaar is a weird one.

But when I saw him bowl for the 1st time...he was hitting about 120kmph so that put to bed for me he was front-liner unless he has slowed down and concentrated on his batting.

Always could bat...batted quite high for SA u19.
Dominated a U19 series against England last year with the ball and bat. Opened the bowling as well. Shame if the bowling does fall away but it happens to a lot of U19 guys RSA produce. Vandiar, Vallie, JJ Smuts and even P Malan bowled in Wayne Parnell's U19 side, Vallie and Vandiar were pretty handy bowlers, the former use to get through 10 overs but he doesn't even bowl for WP anymore.

SeamUp

International Coach
Makes no sense that the Lions dropped those guys as the vast majority of them will still be turning out for them next season and the likes of Virus and Vandiar need runs. The franchise has a lot of depth but no real quality and they don't have a great record of bringing through or producing international cricketers. Guys like Jean Symes careers have stagnated while Vandiar would have been better off staying with the Dolphins and working with Graham Ford.
I know Alviro has been working in the SuperSport studio and is working with Glamorgan as they are in the Highveld. Surely Vandiar had to play unless he was allowed to go to IPL. I don't think they were dropped at all. But they have put a lot of faith in Deeb and it seems Hume has jumped Deacon and Matsikwe. Symes really has gone backwards and I don't why they bought Bodi. Like you say, they have a lot of depth...considering they have lost Vilas, VVJ, Conway, Shamsi and Snijman.

I also think Vandiar missed a trick by leaving the Dolphins so early. Nosworthy isn't a bad coach but Ford is better.

SeamUp

International Coach
Dominated a U19 series against England last year with the ball and bat. Opened the bowling as well. Shame if the bowling does fall away but it happens to a lot of U19 guys RSA produce. Vandiar, Vallie, JJ Smuts and even P Malan bowled in Wayne Parnell's U19 side, Vallie and Vandiar were pretty handy bowlers, the former use to get through 10 overs but he doesn't even bowl for WP anymore.
I remember that series. Pienaar and Mosehle dominated it ito of stats from both sides.

Looking forward to the SA-ENG u19 series later in the year. On the ECB website they say the 1st game at Edgbaston will be live on Sky so hopefully they will show it on SuperSport.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I see Levi, Vilas and Beuran Hendricks (Left-armer who bowls about 140) are playing for WP. Also Rory Kleinvledt's younger brother, Matthew has got a 100 for them. Philander must be injured and I think Rory and Rippon are the 2 players to miss out for Cobras. 16-year-old Jan Frylinck is getting his 3-day debut for Boland in the WP match.
They are cousins. Matthew's younger brother also plays cricket, Gary. Matthew was born in England and was apart of Hampshire's academy side and played second XI for other counties in England. He was offered a contract with Hampshire but despite being born in the UK he couldn't get the visa as he isn't a British passport holder. Matthew's father, Johnny Kleinveldt use to open the bowling for WP (SACB) with South Africa's bowling coach, Vincent Barnes in the 1980s. Talented family.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
They are cousins, Matthew's younger brother also plays cricket, Gary. Matthew was born in England and was apart of Hampshire's academy side and played second XI for other counties in England. He was offered a contract with Hampshire but despite being born in the UK he couldn't get the visa as he isn't a British passport holder. Matthew's father Johnny Kleinveldt opened the bowling WP (SACB) with South Africa's bowling coach, Vincent Barnes in the 1980s. Talented family.
Thats very interesting. I assumed they were brothers. I was also quite surprised when I saw Matthew was born in Southampton.

Rory also had a short spell with Hampshire I remember.

SeamUp

International Coach
Just read now that Quiton Friend has left the Dolphins for the Knights. Really is a weird move. Probably wants a one-day gig as well which the Dolphins don't give him.

This is exactly why the Dolphins have been on a fast-bowling recruitment drive.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
3rd franchise for Quinton which is pretty much unheard of. May have business interests in the Free State as it doesn't seem like a great career move and he is the type of bowler who loves Kingsmead. Hard work for the seamers in Bloemfontein.

SeamUp

International Coach
No one can beat HD Ackerman...4 franchises... Cobras, Warriors, Dolphins, Lions.

I think Alfie Thomas and Justin Kemp have had a few as well.

ZANDER DE BRUYN as well...also going through the counties after joining Surrey.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
The Knights are struggling with fast bowling depth.

Van der Wath is 33 and not getting younger and RMac could get international call-ups.

That leaves Du Preez and Mpitsang. Then the average joes like Vries and Pietersen playing in the current game.

They have also snapped up Duanne Olivier from Titans who did decently today for FS.

Bloem supposedly has got a bit of its pace and bounce back but is definitely not a place where fast-bowlers dream of bowling.