• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

Woodster

International Captain
Tahir debuted at 31 and Rudolph is back in contention and he is well seasoned. South Africa use to have a culture where once you hit 30, the knives come out but they have been embracing older cricketers in recent years and following the Aussie model. Neil Mac made his comeback when he was around 32/33.
Difference being with the names you've mentioned there, two are batsmen that can conceivably continue for a further five years, and one is a match winning spinner,a type of slow bowler SA really lack in the squad. Of course a spin bowler can also enjoy an elongated career.

Not sure a quick bowler, who will be aged 31, with the injury history of a Friedel de Wet will be someone SA will look to rush back into their squad, even if he enjoys a successful season at Hants, unless injuries crop up to any of Steyn, Morkel, Tsotsobe, etc.

Woodster

International Captain
I remember seeing Vince in the u19 WC. He reminded me of a young Michael Vaughan. Decent prospect.
Yes that's the comparison that is generally bandied around when talking about Vince. Would be nice if he developed into a similar player with similar results tbh.

SeamUp

International Coach
Another fast bowler to watch is Duanne Olivier. He was bowler of the week in the SA Schools cricket week, playing for Northerns u19 last year.

But he has moved to Bloem for his studies and has now signed up by the Knights and is getting his debut for Free State today.

SeamUp

International Coach
Pro20 Final tonight:

Probable Line-ups:

COBRAS:
Richard Levi, Herschelle Gibbs, Dane Vilas (+), Owais Shah, Justin Ontong, Justin Kemp, Vernon Philander, Johan Louw, Michael Rippon, Claude Henderson, Charl Langeveldt.
reserves: Andrew Puttick & Rory Kleinveldt

WARRIORS:
Ashwell Prince, Davey Jacobs, Jon-Jon Smuts, Mark Boucher (+), Justin Kreusch, Craig Thyssen, Nicky Boje, Lyall Meyer, Rusty Theron, Garnett Kruger, Makhaya Ntini
reserves: Kelly Smuts & Andrew Birch

Quite excited to see this 19 year-old chinaman, Rippon. The whole tournament he has looked like the big time and its pressure doesn''t get to him and now he is already in a final in front of a sell-out at Newlands....lets see how he goes.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Difference being with the names you've mentioned there, two are batsmen that can conceivably continue for a further five years, and one is a match winning spinner,a type of slow bowler SA really lack in the squad. Of course a spin bowler can also enjoy an elongated career.

Not sure a quick bowler, who will be aged 31, with the injury history of a Friedel de Wet will be someone SA will look to rush back into their squad, even if he enjoys a successful season at Hants, unless injuries crop up to any of Steyn, Morkel, Tsotsobe, etc.
van der Wath was playing for South Africa A at the age of 32 with a view to playing for South Africa again, that after 3 years as a Kolpak and ICL player. There just isn't enough fast bowling comp out there to go against de Wet if he performs.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
How well is this lad doing at Northerns??

Douglas Hewitt | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

Supposedly the 2nd ever Affies player to get 100 caps for the 1st team after Faf Du Plessis. I think Thomas Kaber recently became the 3rd.

Not even Rudolph, AB or Kuhn got a 100 caps for Affies.

Yet another wicket-keeper as well.
Hard for him to get a look-in at the Titans franchise, what with Kuhn, Moshele and young Josh Richards also waiting in the wings. Should head to Durban or P.E.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pro20 Final tonight:

Probable Line-ups:

COBRAS:
Richard Levi, Herschelle Gibbs, Dane Vilas (+), Owais Shah, Justin Ontong, Justin Kemp, Vernon Philander, Johan Louw, Michael Rippon, Claude Henderson, Charl Langeveldt.
reserves: Andrew Puttick & Rory Kleinveldt

WARRIORS:
Ashwell Prince, Davey Jacobs, Jon-Jon Smuts, Mark Boucher (+), Justin Kreusch, Craig Thyssen, Nicky Boje, Lyall Meyer, Rusty Theron, Garnett Kruger, Makhaya Ntini
reserves: Kelly Smuts & Andrew Birch
Cobras win thanks to my man Levi! Owais Shah was the leading run scorer and Ntini the leading wicket taker. Speaks volumes on the quality of this year's edition. :dry:

Nice to see the Smut brothers in action for the Warriors. Epic fail from Davey Jacobs. Hasn't scored a run since the Champions League yet talked himself into a mega $ IPL deal.

SeamUp

International Coach
Hard for him to get a look-in at the Titans franchise, what with Kuhn, Moshele and young Josh Richards also waiting in the wings. Should head to Durban or P.E.
Yeah, he has no chance at all as a keeper.

Impressive stats though. Can only see him possibly pushing as a middle-order bat.

SeamUp

International Coach
Kelly Smuts is yet another LHB coming through.

Where have all the RHB gone???

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Kelly Smuts is yet another LHB coming through.

Where have all the RHB gone???
Levi is the only current viable RHB going and possibly one day JJ Smuts. Best batsman at U19 level are all lefties as well (de Kock, Hendricks). Hope they can play off-spin!

SeamUp

International Coach
Levi is the only current viable RHB going and possibly one day JJ Smuts. Best batsman at U19 level are all lefties as well (de Kock, Hendricks). Hope they can play off-spin!
There is Shaylen Pillay who is a batting all-rounder and is a RHB in the u19's (They've got high hopes for him). He captained one game for the SA u19's at 16 recently. But like you say its still a lot of LHB coming through to join a lot of LHB.

YOUNG BATSMAN COMING THROUGH:

RHB: Levi, JJ Smuts, R. Hendricks
LHB: Van Zyl, K. Smuts, Conway, Miller, Elgar, Rossouw & Vandiar

I think its general trend starting in many other countries as well now.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
There is Shaylen Pillay who is a batting all-rounder and is a RHB in the u19's (They've got high hopes for him). He captained one game for the SA u19's at 16 recently. But like you say its still a lot of LHB coming through to join a lot of LHB.

YOUNG BATSMAN COMING THROUGH:

RHB: Levi, JJ Smuts, R. Hendricks
LHB: Van Zyl, K. Smuts, Conway, Millier, Elgar, Rossouw & Vandiar

I think its general trend starting in many other countries as well now.
Cody Chetty is a RHB also, as is James Price and then there is another 16 year old kid playing in the U19s who is a RHB, Diego Rosier. Must be something about him to get into the U19 side at that age.

SeamUp

International Coach
Cody Chetty is a RHB also, as is James Price and then there is another 16 year old kid playing in the U19s who is a RHB, Diego Rosier. Must be something about him to get into the U19 side at that age.
I've ruled out any of the last u19 WC players making at franchise level besides Dale Deeb. I may be wrong though. I am still convinced that the last u19 WC has to be one of the worst ito quality.

Don't know whats happened to James Price...he looks a bit hit or miss in the One-day games against Zim u19. I wonder if he can bat like that at franchise level. I wonder if he is eligible for the tour to your lot in July.

Yeah, they talk highly of Diego Rosier, most definitley.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I've ruled out any of the last u19 WC players making at franchise level besides Dale Deeb. I may be wrong though. I am still convinced that the last u19 WC has to be one of the worst ito quality.

Don't know whats happened to James Price...he looks a bit hit or miss in the One-day games against Zim u19. I wonder if he can bat like that at franchise level. I wonder if he is eligible for the tour to your lot in July.

Yeah, they talk highly of Diego Rosier, most definitley.
Hendricks and Hume, not much else but they are all young kids and the likes of Chetty, Ackerman were child prodigies so they might come again or develop late like Faf. Faf was rated as a better batsman than AB when the two were at school but it took Faf years to kick on and he was pretty much at a crossroads before this season.

SeamUp

International Coach
Wait until you seem him bowl though. A superb talent. That picture was of him when he was 16...he is now 18. Had a serious injury but has come back from it. Obviously he had wieght issues and his height of 1.94m plus cannot be easy with all the strains.

03 Mar 2010
Jonathan Cook

YOUNG cricketer Calvin Savage’s star continues to rise.

Savage, who is in grade 11 at Maritzburg College, was selected for the KZN Inland senior team yesterday.

Inland fly to Windhoek this morning for their Provincial Challenge three-day and 40-over matches against Namibia from tomorrow to Sunday.

Inland coach Doug Watson told The Witness yesterday that Savage, who turned 17 just under two months ago and made the SA Schools’ team in grade 10, comes in for opening bowler Ollie Humphries — who is held up by study commitments.

”Being selected to play first-class cricket at his age is a fantastic achievement,” said Watson.

“Calvin is an exceptional talent and his inclusion is in line with the Dolphins’ policy of ensuring that home-grown youngsters come through.”

A right-arm opening bowler who swings and seams the ball prodigiously, Savage was described by Mike Bechet yesterday as “probably the most intelligent cricketer” he has been involved with in his 18 years as Maritzburg College’s first XI coach.

“He is a humble, level-headed boy who is hungry to learn and, significantly, has the ability to absorb information,” Bechet said.

SeamUp

International Coach
Warriors to blood youngsters as seniors get a rest
21 March 2011

THE Chevrolet Warriors will not have much time to mourn their Standard Bank Pro20 cricket final defeat, with the SuperSport Series swinging back into action this week already.

The Warriors, who lost by 12 runs to the Cobras at Newlands on Friday, travel to Johannesburg tomorrow for their penultimate match of the season against the Highveld Lions, starting on Thursday.

The fact that the Warriors are out of the running for the title will give them an opportunity to have a look at their younger crop of players.

Senior players Davy Jacobs, Nicky Boje, Makhaya Ntini, Mark Boucher, Ashwell Prince and Rusty Theron will not be playing in this fixture. Jacobs arrived in India last night to join up with the Mumbai Indians ahead of the Indian Premier League, while the others have been given the remainder of the season off.

“If we win our remaining two matches, there is a chance we could finish third on the table. So we still have something to play for,” said coach Russell Domingo yesterday.
“This match also gives us an opportunity to further blood guys like Bevan Bennett, Kelly
Smuts and Reece Williams.”

The Warriors squad is: Jon-Jon Smuts, Kelly Smuts, Michael Price, Bevan Bennett, Arno Jacobs, Justin Kreusch, Craig Thyssen, Lyall Meyer, Andrew Birch, Reece Williams, Basheer Walters, Garnett Kruger.