• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

Spark

Global Moderator
Mussey in makes such an incomparable difference though. Not worried about the batting at all.

Somewhat concerned that we managed to only take three wickets with the attack, but looking at it in context, I'll be much more worried if we repeat that on Wednesday. Starting to get real concerned about the spin dept though. Smith is not good enough to bowl anything like his full quota and the supposed wicket attacking option of Krezja has just been churning out flat darts.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
Did I mention before lunch on Day 4 on our MCG:

- The Poms were doing a sprinkler dance
- Hussain and Atherton's kids were running around playing cricket

Made me ill.

Spark

Global Moderator
Strictly back on topic though, I have to say that I (as I've said before) find howardj's protestations on the off field stuff and team spirit rather inconsequential.

Infinitely more concerning to me are the stats PEWS posted in the Domestic thread. No one is coming close to beating down the door with 1000+ runs or 50+ wickets.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So we have a post-Ashes review headed by Taylor, Sutherland, Border and Waugh. Does it strike anyone as passing strange that:

- Taylor and Sutherland, two CA directors who themselves have been part of a Board that's made some appalling decisions, are on the panel

- Sutherland last week came out and said that the review is 'not about targetting individuals'. God no, heaven forbid that anyone loses their job.

- Sutherland has today guaranteed that Ricky Ponting will continue as Test and ODI captain.

They seem to have forgotten how appalling last Summer's performances actually were, and that we're now ranked # 5 in the world
The real problem lies deeper than morons like the selection panel and our coach.

There's serious attitude and planning issues other than just short term problems like team selection

Just a few from the top of my head

- Reducing the number of Shield games
- Obsession with domestic 20/20: Though crowds are getting smaller every year
- Forcing our players to play in 20/20 tournaments before important series
- Misdiagnosis of injuries
- Priorities are all wrong
- Scheduling of pointless limited overs series before important test series

List goes on probably

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Strictly back on topic though, I have to say that I (as I've said before) find howardj's protestations on the off field stuff and team spirit rather inconsequential.

Infinitely more concerning to me are the stats PEWS posted in the Domestic thread. No one is coming close to beating down the door with 1000+ runs or 50+ wickets.
While it's not as important as domestic performances, it just reflects the rather poor attitude that both the players and team management hold especially at a time when the team is struggling.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
The real problem lies deeper than morons like the selection panel and our coach.

There's serious attitude and planning issues other than just short term problems like team selection

Just a few from the top of my head

- Reducing the number of Shield games
- Obsession with domestic 20/20: Though crowds are getting smaller every year
- Forcing our players to play in 20/20 tournaments before important series
- Misdiagnosis of injuries
- Priorities are all wrong
- Scheduling of pointless limited overs series before important test series

List goes on probably
This is all covered in my wide-ranging paper soon to be released:

Ashes Aftermath - Australian Cricket Under the Microscope

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
haha Interesting title. I'm guessing I'd probably agree with most of it!

There's serious short and long term issues that aren't solved by burying our heads in the sand.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Even though i'm not a huge Copeland fan, i'm all for picking the guys who are doing the best job in shield cricket, if our system doesnt give those guys a go then I may as well go and start following local chess competitions. I'm also all for selecting the 'right' players, even if their performances arent awesome, but how many guys in shield cricket who arent in the top 2 or 3 performers this season deserve to be picked in the test side?

Spark

Global Moderator
While it's not as important as domestic performances, it just reflects the rather poor attitude that both the players and team management hold especially at a time when the team is struggling.
While that may be true, I don't think scattered media reports are the best way to gauge that.

pup11

International Coach
Australia news: Michael Clarke turns eyes to Argus review | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Now this has been in pipeline for a while now but the kind of importance being given to this non-sense is just ridiculous.

Its a classic case of reading too much into a situation, there is almost an attempt to make it look like the whole Australian system is crippled when the truth is in recent times everything right from the selections to planning have been flawed and the easiest thing would be to learn from this and move on rather than hoping and trying to cook up some excuses to shift the blame on something else.

Last edited:

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
The forward needs to be one line- 'Did you know the test team has lost the last two Ashes series in a slightly embarrassing fashion? If this upsets you then read on....."
Losing three tests by an innings in a five match series isn't what I'd call 'slightly' embarrassing.

Though CA seemed to have wiped it all under carpet already. I assume that it will be business as usual for the next series.

It is a consequence free set-up.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Australia news: Michael Clarke turns eyes to Argus review | Australia Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

Now this has been in pipeline for a while now but the kind of importance being given to this non-sense is just ridiculous.

Its a classic case of reading too much into a situation, there is almost an attempt to make it look like the whole Australian system is crippled when the truth is in recent times everything right from the selections to planning have been flawed and the easiest thing would be to learn from this and move on rather than hoping and trying to cook up some excuses to shift the blame on something else.
I don't know what this review is expected to achieve. Very little I would think. Unless they turn Frankenstein in a desperate attempt to build a world class spin bowler.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Losing three tests by an innings in a five match series isn't what I'd call 'slightly' embarrassing.

Though CA seemed to have wiped it all under carpet already. I assume that it will be business as usual for the next series.

Indeed. And its pissing off a LOT of people. I still cannot believe the thrashing we got. :@

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Indeed. And its pissing off a LOT of people. I still cannot believe the thrashing we got. :@
I can as you aren't that good, but having seen how inept our authorities were in years when we got gubbed by you i can fully understand why nothing will happen as they are too gutless and looking at saving their own asses instead of doing the job they should be.

BoyBrumby

Englishman

What's the expression?

Success has many fathers, but failure is an orphan.

Or something along those lines.

Hilditch & co very unimpressive bunch. But, hey, he think's he's doing a good job and that's what matters.

Not sold on Nielson either, if it comes to that. Nice bloke promoted beyind his talents, IMHO.

Spark

Global Moderator
Honestly though I think a review done the right way can be a good thing. There are too many whisperings of alarmingly severe structural and administrative flaws in CA from top to bottom to not be. The BBL debacle is highly suggestive.

But, of course, assuming it's done the right way may be about seventeen bridges too far...